• Janus

I fucking hate Dream Theater, and anything that reminds me of them no matter how wacky it is!
  • The Great Whatever
    Nothing here resembles Dream Theater too much to me at least. But I agree, they've become drenched in low fat syrup and are hard to stomach. Early DT had some serious cred though, when they were trying to be Queensryche and Fates Warning.

Pretty wild...
  • _db
    I laughed out loud when this song played at the "shocking" end of a Game of Thrones episode. The juxtaposition was awesome and hilarious. The song ain't bad either.

• The Great Whatever
    One more metal track, perfect lyrics.

When I was young, I cast aside the shadows of my youth
    And I lifted up my eyes to the skies
    I spread my wings, I sailed the seven seas
    For Glory and all that it seemed

And through my love, I passed inside the hallows of my heart
    And I lifted up my cries to the heights
    But no one cared, No one even dared
    And Glory evaded my dreams

Now I tell you this tale, this story
    When I set my own sails for my dreams
    In the Author of Life I found Glory
    And the honor and power of my King

Now in my age, I've looked beyond horizons of the past
    And I realized that fame was but a thing
    I wrote my score, I wanted even more
    And Glory said "No" to my theme

• Thorongil
    Nah, we need some real trve kvlt metal in here.

• _db
    Mr. Robot is my favorite television show, partly because they picked the perfect music for each episode:

Such an amazing psychological thriller. I really liked the nod to Fight Club.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Mr. Robot is one of the coolest shows but one of the creepiest as well. :s
    I spend too much time looking thru the slats in my fingers covering my eyes to enjoy the show.
  • _db

God, I love Foals.
  • Thorongil
    I wouldn't have pegged you as a power metal guy, lol. The only power metal band I like is Falconer.

• The Great Whatever
    Power metal gets a bad rap because of the legions of copycat bands in Europe and South America, but a lot of it's pretty solid. Breitenhold is dedicated to reproducing the sound of early Blind Guardian, which was one of the better acts (still good now, but too pompous for my tastes).

There's some really good power stuff, but I think a lot of it wouldn't be considered power metal by today's standards because the genre has changed so much.
  • Thorongil
    I've tried listening to power metal, but to this day still can't get into it. It's simply too cheesy, and in a bad way. I mentioned Falconer, but even they are not pure power metal, and I only have a handful of songs I like from them, like the muscular sounding one I linked above. Have you explored much in the other genres of metal?
  • The Great Whatever
    Yes, I was a huge metalhead back in the day, I liked traditional doom, USPM, NWoBHM, a little thrash and death, and especially the classic 'speed metal' sound. Later on I listened to a ton of prog metal, and largely stopped listening to metal b/c I became more interested in prog rock then jazz fusion then jazz. Lately I'm coming back to it and my tastes are becoming more traditional, digging the old power stuff, or straight up hard rock / heavy metal, even moving back a little bit into the blues rock and folk music that underlies it.

If you like muscular power metal, you could check out the older stuff like Agent Steel, Liege Lord and Jag Panzer. But they are a little rougher around the edges than Falconer, kind of like cult versions of Judas Priest.

I agree about the cheesiness, but maybe less so now -- cheesiness is a state of mind, and the feeling of it goes away once you occupy the tradition from within.
  • Thorongil
    I do like speed metal a lot, although not so much the bands you mentioned. My all time favorite is probably Running Wild. It might not be to your tastes at first, but I would encourage you to explore black and death metal.
  • The Great Whatever
    I actually have a soft spot for Running Wild, Black Hand Inn was one of the albums that made me appreciate metal. It's sort of a shame what happened to them. I've always liked more traditional death metal, and a little bit of techy stuff, but black metal is a little hard for me -- I find the constant single-note tremolo picking and double bass drumming a little tedious, and it seems to focus more on atmosphere than songwriting at times. I really love the vocal style, though, it's really a cultural achievement. There's some symphonic black stuff like early Arcturus that is a little easier to swallow for me.
  • Thorongil
    Pretty much all of the early albums down to Black Hand Inn are masterpieces of speed metal. They blow Iron Maiden out of the water too, in my opinion. When Rolf started composing boring hard rock and using that stupid drum machine, things went downhill, but I'm actually somewhat optimistic about the upcoming album. He's supposedly got a real drummer on it.

The "wall of sound" to create an atmosphere is deliberate in black metal and certainly takes some getting used to, but I love it. I play in a bedroom black metal band with my brother and we're in the midst of trying to record some stuff now. If you want, I could send you a link in a PM when it's done. I'd love to hear what someone who's metal-literate thinks of it.
  • Thorongil
    Been listening to this for the last couple days. Pretty nice doom metal.

• The Great Whatever
    Pretty much all of the early albums down to Black Hand Inn are masterpieces of speed metal.Thorongil

Yeah, they have a very recognizable and likable sound. Actually, there is a Running Wild tribute band called Blazon Stone, which instead of playing Running Wild covers, just makes new songs in the band's style. They're not bad. I'm also looking forward to the new album! Even thinking you can do metal without a drummer is ludicrous IMO, it's a real dealbreaker.

The "wall of sound" to create an atmosphere is deliberate in black metal and certainly takes some getting used to, but I love it. I play in a bedroom black metal band with my brother and we're in the midst of trying to record some stuff now. If you want, I could send you a link in a PM when it's done. I'd love to hear what someone who's metal-literate thinks about it.Thorongil

Yeah, for sure. I don't really know that much about black metal, though. But I'd love to hear it.
  • The Great Whatever
    Now this is what I'm talking about:

• Cavacava

I love his spasmastic sense of rhythm...a lot of talking heads this week...
  • Cavacava

[Verse 2]
    When choice became the people's voice
    Shout loud
    Put your hands up in the crowd
    Raise your fist up (fist up)
    While I lift up (lift up)
    Fucking everything wrong with the system (system)
    People hungry and dyin'
    They ain't got a home
    This is the nature created
    From the terrordome (terrordome)
    Let's turn the page
    Shaman burn the sage
    Clear the way for the prophets of rage
    Can you kick it like
bold
italic
underline
strike