• Shawn
    Mmm, yes. I understand that. That's one reason that lectures are quite difficult. :lol: One can't pause the speaker to finish thinking.Waya

Yeah, I used to think I could pull off those online lectures; but, then the other problem came about of not being able to pay attention and not getting the other large percentage of missed material that you get just by sitting in class and putting yourself in that mindset of processing through material the lecturer presents to you.

I'm a mixed bag, as you can tell.
  • Shawn
    Hmmm, interesting... :chin:Waya

Yeah, there's no substitute for going to class and just listening to a lecturer give you the big picture or at least a fragment of it, and then putting the pieces together once at rest or out of class. So, for me it's listen->reason through->put the parts together->learn.
  • deletedmemberwy
    Maybe just a slower approach would be okay for you, or perhaps more of one-on-one teaching.
  • Shawn
    Maybe just a slower approach would be okay for you, or perhaps more of one-on-one teaching.Waya

Yeah, but, there's really no "slow down" in college, haha. Unless, I just take a lighter load, so there's that at least I can count on. Anyway, I kind of ruled out college, at the moment. It's either do philosophy or nothing, and at the moment, nothing doesn't come with a huge debt, so nothing it is.
  • Shawn
    Of course, when I talk about doing philosophy in college, I mean the whole nine yards, until finishing grad school.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Grad school is a few years away for me but most importantly I am taking that first step as I realize I have been standing at this cross roads for much too long. It's time to invest in me.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    :chin: pondering the meaning of life in a much more meaningful way than the chin ponder implies. This ponder is more spiritual in nature, than scientific in thought.

But I mean, why are we here? What is the reasoning behind our existence? To fulfill someone else's (our parent's) need to procreate? That seems a bit selfish when I think about it too long. Frankly once again it is when I am alone with my thoughts that unanswerable, philosophical questions/pondering/quandaries seem to occupy an otherwise gentle mind. Why in times of crisis do the unanswerable questions come to the forefront? Is it to show that there are other questions of the same magnitude, that still remain unanswered for a lot of us? If not all of us, if I am to include the absolute truth that none of us here knows what really happens after we cease living.
  • deletedmemberwy
    Almost ready for the fall semester!
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I started school on Monday and the Professor seems like an awesome person. I looked him up on Rate my Professor. Between my both my boys, the report on rate my professors is surprisingly accurate both at the community level and the University level.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Thank you for the support. So far we have had to create a short video introducing ourselves to the group. I have been watching what others are saying and responding positively but I can see that I am the oldest in the class. That might work in my benefit, as years of life at the "School Of Hard Knocks" has to be worth something right? I couldn't have survived without learning something...

@Sir2u Do you really believe that someone looking for help with their homework is "cheating"? Because if you do than maybe others will think that about me when I ask for help... :yikes:
  • Baden

Oh, congratulations, Tiff! :party:
  • Baden
    Do you really believe that someone looking for help with their homework is "cheating"? Because if you do than maybe others will think that about me when I ask for help...ArguingWAristotleTiff

Having been a teacher I can tell you the way we tend to look at it is that if you have made a full effort and in order to get further you need help then that help is legitimate (as long as someone is not actually doing the work for you).
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Oh, congratulations, Tiff! :party:Baden

Thank You! :flower:
  • Shawn
    Having been a teacher I can tell you the way we tend to look at it is that if you have made a full effort and in order to get further you need help then that help is legitimate (as long as someone is not actually doing the work for you).Baden

I really think it's a matter of self-moderation on the part of participants and the poster, in regards to posting help with homework. I don't think a blanket ban on those topics is useful here. I don't recall any significant issues arising due to this in the old forum. I could be wrong here.
  • Baden

No significant issues arose because, apart from logic problems, homework help was strictly banned in the old forum too. Again, posters can learn from each other by getting involved in discussions or asking questions.
  • Baden
    Here's an example of the type of thing allowed in the old forum and allowed here with regard to logic problems:

https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/3934/is-this-argument-form-valid-contradiction-through-disjunctive-syllogism
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I really think it's a matter of self-moderation on the part of participants and the poster, in regards to posting help with homework. I don't think a blanket ban on those topics is useful here.Posty McPostface

I agree with a self moderation of a Homework section. I can't see it getting out of control when people are asking questions.
  • Sir2u
    First of all.
    I started school on MondayArguingWAristotleTiff

WAY TO GO GIRL, get out there and kick ass.

Do you really believe that someone looking for help with their homework is "cheating"? Because if you do than maybe others will think that about me when I ask for help... :yikes:ArguingWAristotleTiff

I had no idea that Baden had been a teacher, I might of been able to get some ideas from him if I had.
    I agree with him on this, getting help and getting someone to do the work are two completely different things.
    One of my favorite topics( I am teaching computer class right now) is EXCEL. Many students really have no idea what to do even after receiving class for a couple of years, What I always look for in any of the work they present is the intention of getting the job done. Wrong formulas do not usually reduce the score greatly if you can see where they made the mistakes, but any old formula that has nothing to do with the work will get a zero. Excel is also one of the easiest programs to cheat in, a sideways glance will get you a formula from the next persons screen, so the teacher has to have an idea of the students abilities. I have tricks to stop this happening too much but I still see a D student coming up with an A answer occasionally.

In a classwork assignment a few weeks ago there was a shuffling of notebooks all around the lab and a silence that was scary. Someone had worked out a way to solve the problem they were working on and they were passing it around. When they got the results they were pissed of at someone because he had given the wrong answer and they had all copied it. Only one in four had they same problem but all had the same answer. I could not stop laughing while reviewing.
  • Baden
    When they got the results they were pissed of at someone because he had given the wrong answer and they had all copied it.Sir2u

Brings back memories. :lol:
  • deletedmemberwy
    The weekend is here. :grin:
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    My current class room and shelter for the night...
    20180825_143212.jpg
    Might be time to batten down the hatches.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    My fellow thinkers,
    If you have an extra moment of thought or prayer, if you could help me speak to the Heavens above to call my Dad home~
    randy.jpg
    My heart is breaking as I pray for him to leave.... :broken: :pray:
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I appreciate your asking as I have been trying to not bring my fellow 'thinkers' down but I am having really hard time with this. My Dad is still in the hospital with an infection that they have been unable to track down. I asked that my Dad's request to stop all testing was followed but I believe he felt pressure, understandably so, when the Hospital's Social Worker, his Doc, my monster of his 3rd wife and Hospice walk in to talk about it. They have done every test under the moon including one on Sunday that I adamantly opposed which was to have a bone bi-opsy bedside (I couldn't even watch the video after I saw the instrument to be used) but they did it anyway. My Dad knows his name but that is it. When asked if he knows where he is? He says school. Is it day or night? Nothing.....just a blank stare. He has a "feeder" now which is assigned to feed him his meals because he can no longer feed himself in addition to have lost control over his faculties three years ago now.
    They have discontinued his antipsychotic meds that he has been on as long as I have been alive. Not tittering it down, just stopping it on a dime. <shaking my head>
    For what purpose? To what end?

We get more test results today. We find out the bone biopsy to find out if my Dad of 76 yrs has Leukemia? Bone Cancer? Spinal Meningitis? What fucking difference does it make? Do they really think he is going to make it through Radiation or Chemotherapy? To return to what?
    They discontinued his antibiotics so as top not "mask" the results of tests. In the meantime a week ago his WBC was 18k, IV meds got it down to 14k and now it is back up to 20k which means his body is fighting something.

It is really, really flippin hard to pray that one of these tests come back positive so he is given a "terminal diagnosis" of which Parkinson's is not and an ability to bring in Hospice which will provide another set of eyes on my Dad as they plan on shipping him back to the nursing home once they get the test results. My Dad's wife is talking my Dad lasting another 4 years.... ??????????

So I am pondering a lot, having a hard time being alone with my thoughts, feeling lost with all this happening in Chicago with me so far away and damnitr…. its destroying me.
    More than once in the last week I have thought about going to the hospital up the street, just so I can be around people who understand personal times of crisis because I look like a fool crying in public and NicK can only offer so much listening before he is tired of hearing about it.

And my Mom, my Golden Hospice Angel that walks among us, well I think my leaning on her for guidance about what all these tests mean and my brother needing an explanation as to what Hospice will and won't do for my Dad, her first husband, has gotten to be too much for her and her current husband of the last 30 yrs. Maybe it is just her watching her children go through stress of losing a parent, maybe it is her watching her first husband and our Dad, try to pass to the other side and not being respected. I am not really sure, all I know is that in a time in my life, that I have needed a little bit of good Karma to come my way, it's not arriving.

Am I being selfish in wishing my Dad a peaceful transition?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.