• Hippyhead
    We are the monkeys and rather that pretending we won't launch the missiles, we shouldn't build missiles for monkeys in the first place.Garth

Amen brother. A philosopher interested in nuclear weapons! It's a miracle, a sign from God!!! :-)
  • Jack Cummins

Yes, we are surfacing on another thread and I am in agreement against nuclear weapons. Perhaps more miracles are what we need on this site.
  • Hippyhead
    Once fewer people die of disease than in war, we should ban the development of new technologiesGarth

Been writing along those lines too, for example, see here.

As I currently see it, reason alone is nowhere near close to sufficient for making such huge changes to the group consensus. Human beings mostly learn by pain, so that is what will be required, lots of pain.

The question I see is, will the necessary pain come in the right dose? Will it be big enough to inspire a true rethinking of the status quo, while being small enough not to destroy everything?

I have no idea of course, but I do have a secret plan for defending myself against the wave of pain that is surely coming. I'm getting old, and am gonna die soon. Get out of jail free card! Woo Hoo!!! :-)
  • Garth
    By demanding and pursuing some perfect and excellent way of understanding the world we are shifting our focus away from reality itself to our thoughts about reality. That is, we are choosing a diluted 2nd hand experience of reality over the real thing.Hippyhead

Our understanding of the world is only thoughts. There are no forces or atoms or whatever in the world. All of those are simply what we think about the world. Reality itself is a mental construct.
  • Brett

Reality itself is a mental construct.Garth

That may be so but it’s the one we live in.
  • Garth
    Yes but it implies that thinking about the world is not "diluted 2nd hand experience of reality over the real thing"
  • Brett

I’m confused by that post and what it’s referring to.
  • Garth
    Because what Hippyhead said it self-contradictory.
  • Brett

diluted 2nd hand experience of reality over the real thing"Garth

Is this a quote from @Hippyhead?

Edit: oh yeah, I see. You should include the poster’s name if you quote them.

Sorry, I should have read more carefully. But yes, I agree with you - to a degree.
  • Hippyhead
    By demanding and pursuing some perfect and excellent way of understanding the world we are shifting our focus away from reality itself to our thoughts about reality. That is, we are choosing a diluted 2nd hand experience of reality over the real thing.Hippyhead

Our understanding of the world is only thoughtsGarth

Yes. But please note the comment of mine you are quoting refers to experience, not understanding. Understanding is an experience of our thoughts about reality. Not an experience of reality itself. Thus, understanding is 2nd hand experience.
  • Garth
    Yes. But please note the comment of mine you are quoting refers to experience, not understanding. Understanding is an experience of our thoughts about reality. Not an experience of reality itself. Thus, understanding is 2nd hand experience.Hippyhead

So can you explain how people who are hanging out together talking about philosophy can relate their experiences to each other directly without recourse to "2nd hand experience"? Because it seems your notion of 2nd hand experience is a little unclear.
  • Hippyhead
    So can you explain how people who are hanging out together talking about philosophy can relate their experiences to each other directly without recourse to "2nd hand experience"?Garth

Now you're referring to communication. Again, I was referencing experience.

Experiences do get translated in to abstractions for purposes of communication obviously. But what is then being transferred from one person to another is the abstraction, not the experience.

It's like the screen name Garth. That's a symbol which points to a real person. The symbol is useful, but it's not you.
  • Garth
    Can we not say the same thing about philosophy?

By demanding and pursuing some perfect and excellent way of understanding the world, we really do nothing but discourage our ignorant friends from participating. In the end, truth, justice, and all of those things don't really matter if you have nobody to talk to about them. What is important is that we have fun with each other while having our discussion. In my experience, the discussion is a lot more fun when we all don't know what we are talking about and make many unfounded assertions.
    Garth

I'm pointing out that you took my statement out of context in the first place. because I was talking about philosophical discussions in the first place.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet