• TheMadFool
    Hi there, fellow forum members. I would like to run something by you all that I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around. It's got to do with the notion of logical negation.

As far as I can tell, the logical negation of a proposition is the denial of that proposition. So, if proposition P = I'm a robot, then the negation of P, written in logic as ~P = I'm not a robot. In layman's terms it's basically a retraction of a statement or thereabouts.

That out of the way, I'd like you all to consider the statement N = This statement can be negated..

If we assume N to be true i.e. if N is negatable, then ~N follows but ~N = This statement can't be negated. In other words, if N can be negated then N can't be negated. A contradiction. Therefore, N can't be negated.

Thus, N = This statement can be negated, can't be negated.

:chin:
  • Outlander
    I thought ~ was a symbol for approximation/estimate/or "around". I have ~5 dollars, meaning I have more or less somewhere around five dollars.

When it comes to these kinds of paradoxes I'd say it's more than likely one or the other is factually incorrect/untrue/incoherent.
  • TheMadFool
    The mathematical symbol for approximation consists of two "~" stacked on top of each other.
  • tim wood
    Sure it can. You did it. But it's a contradiction, as you note. Condensed a little bit you've written N=~N. But what can you do with it? What's it good for?
  • TheMadFool
    Sure it can. You did it. But it's a contradiction, as you note. Condensed a little bit you've written N=~N. But what can you do with it? What's it good for?tim wood

delete. Thanks.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.