• Banno
    Can we institute an automatic ban on anyone who uses this phrase in an OP?
  • JerseyFlight
    Can we institute an automatic ban on anyone who uses this phrase in an OP?Banno

You want to ban every thinker on here who doesn't have your own skill in precision, come on man?
  • Streetlight
    No, because we are magnanimous.

And also take delight in uh, testing such threads.
  • Banno
    And also take delight in uh, testing such threads.StreetlightX

...I am just trying to save you time...
  • Banno
    You want to ban every thinker on here who doesn't have your own skill in precision...JerseyFlight
    Not at all. Just the psychoceramisists.
  • MSC

.... Umm... Wouldn't that mean you would be the first to go? Since this is clearly your theory of why you think your opinions, ideas or other novel reckonings matter more than anyone elses? Give me a break. You might think you've come across a cloud of sweet perfume but right now your head is actually just up your ass.
  • MSC
    Also, what have you got against the phrase "In an OP?" @Banno
  • MSC
    Just the psychoceramisistsBanno

What have you got against mental illness?
  • TheMadFool

There doesn't seem to be an issue if you look up the word's definition, theory (noun): a plausible [or scientifically acceptable] set of general principles or body of principles offered to explain phenomena

Maybe I'm missing something.
  • Outlander

Why bother. Many will continue to speak in an absolute and authoritative tone and context regardless. No need to punish people who actually acknowledge their views are open to interpretation and scrutiny- not to mention the idea they might be mistaken.
  • deletedusercb
    I wish the search engine here could produce a list. I can use 'theory' in the search in titles, but that gets to many other titles. But we can take your op as a moral or a practical position (or both). And it would be interesting to see how many people who started that way ended up banned. I don't have any problem with using 'theory' colloquially as more or less 'position', as in my position on some philosophical problem. The act itself seems peachy is what is mainly an informal context. But it's a funny idea if 'my theory of' is such a telling psychological tick that it does predict for behavior correlating with banning. Perhaps a less lazy person than me will do the necessary research.
  • jgill
    Better simply to eviscerate the "theory". :yikes:
  • MSC
    You make a good point. I also don't see why we are even having a discussion about the state of free speech in a forum on philosophy.

Any critically and reasonably put theory should absolutely be free to say here. As a learning exercise even a stupid theory or argument can be useful as an example of a bad theory or argument.

I can understand why people might feel irritated by a big ol, egoic "My theory of/on" and it is probably something to avoid if you don't want people to assume that. If however you are being satirical to make a point, My super awesome indisputable narc spasmotic reckoning theory is.... fire away for it shall not be better than mine!
  • Banno
    I'm still trying to come to terms with the idea of @StreetlightX being magnanimous...
  • JerseyFlight
    I'm still trying to come to terms with the idea of StreetlightX being magnanimous...Banno

I'm still trying to come to terms with you being so dogmatic.
  • Gus Lamarch
    I'm still trying to come to terms with you being so dogmatic.JerseyFlight

For once, we agree!
  • Hippyhead
    My theory is that I think it's fun that a guy with "ban" in his name did that which he wishes members to be banned for. Should someone post the number to the suicide hotline?
  • Pfhorrest
    Ah but Banno put it in quotes, meaning he’s only MENTIONING the phrase, not USING it, and he’s only calling for the banning of people who use it, not those who merely mention it.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.