• fdrake

I read you excitedly whenever I see your name. I just don't respond most of the time because I find your posts very unobjectionable.
  • bongo fury
    Thank yooo!! Time to change my avatar then... :cool: (although I like it).
  • Metaphysician Undercover

You can raise your ratio by replying to multiple mentions in a single post. It might actually be a good practise because it helps keep the threads neat and tidy. It's also good advice to people like you Banno, who appear to attach importance to having a large number of comments. I hope you some day reach your goal of having infinite as your recorded number of comments.
  • fdrake

Top left of the screen, below your profile picture.
  • DingoJones

Thanks. The phone version didnt have it so I was confused.
  • Banno
    For the longest time I worked on the notion that if someone replied to me, I should as a curtesy reply to them. Assuming then that occasionally folk would not reciprocate, this would give a Banno's Ration of just under one - which indeed, I have.

But more recently I've come to recognise that there are those for whom there is no point in replying.
  • Hanover
    But more recently I've come to recognise that there are those for whom there is no point in replying.Banno

Outside chance you might be on someone's similar list?
  • Banno

I hope so.
  • Streetlight
    Ignoring stupidity is one of the great unsung pleasures in life.
  • BitconnectCarlos

Amen. I'll respond to the leftists. I won't respond if a response is just total nonsense though, which I have seen here from some users (or maybe just "user" - now that I think about it, I can only think of one that's just been so far our of left field.) There's one left winger who I'm pretty sure is ignoring me though and I'm fine with that.
  • praxis

The elation felt in a sense of superiority should be praised?
  • god must be atheist
    Would having a mentions/comments ratio of less than, say, 0.1, be grounds in itself for a ban?Banno

This is not so easy to decide.

This is a forum fostering arguments. People who agree with a post normally leave it alone, or in a rare case, respond to it with a tone or content of approval. Case in point:
    I read you excitedly whenever I see your name. I just don't respond most of the time because I find your posts very unobjectionable.fdrake
    The answer to the question is indeterminable, from the ratio alone, because a low ratio may mean disgust, or it may mean acknowledgment of the perception of a genius. Definitely supports the opinion in the OP that it does not generate lively thougts or discussions, but it may not be bereft of value to the community nevertheless.

Conversely, therefore, a high ratio of mention / comment may be generated by a high rate of disapproval, high rate of finding the post significant or interesting, whether agreeing or not with it, or else generated brain acrtivity. In these cases the opinion in the original post makes sense.

Also please note that people (Person A) may quote person B when replying to Person C. In this case B, whose "mention" number is increased, is only a reference in a response to Person C, who rightfully ought to have the "Mention" counter.

Relying on the mathematical value of the ratio alone is no indication of the posts' "value" as viewed by others. Granted, the OP never stated that. The ratio's significance as to a corresponding alleged increased interest because of its being stimulating may also be misleading. Throw in "god", "evolution", "abortion", "ethics" and you will find that people are much more militant to stand by their own opinions, than, say, when they talk about their favourite colours, sexual positions or vacation beaches. This is the only paragraph in this post that states a counter-argument to the original notion in the OP. People may put numerous responses when they are not stimulated to think, but are motivated to defend an already established and unchangeable opinion.
  • god must be atheist
    The elation felt in a sense of superiority should be praised?praxis

Not praised, but enjoyed. It's like praising someone else's orgasm. None of my business. But feeling my own is certainly worth it.
  • god must be atheist
    Hm. I get an equation named after me!?Banno

A ratio named after you, definitely, and well deserved, too. An equation? You have to come up with one that is as original in concept and significant as the Banno Ratio.
  • god must be atheist
    . A troll might score well over 1, whereas someone with interesting, but complex, things to say might only score .5. or something.Janus

I'd add: "One person's troll is another person's genius."
  • praxis
    — praxis

Not praised, but enjoyed. It's like praising someone else's orgasm. None of my business. But feeling my own is certainly worth it.
    god must be atheist

Given this sentiment, I imagine that your talent as a lover is unsung.
  • god must be atheist
    — praxis

— god must be atheist
    praxis

Given this sentiment, I imagine that your talent as a lover is unsung.praxis

Interesting. You feel other people's orgasms, @praxis? You've got quite a talent there.
  • Banno
    There is nothing more erotic, nor beautiful, than my partner's face as she orgasms.

Somehow, this seems a long way from the OP.
  • praxis

Savoring a sense of superiority is certainly self gratifying, as is masturbation. I can agree with you that far, but I question the worth you place on it.

Not long ago I recall NOS being criticized for the quality of his posts and him replying, “In my defense, I have more mentions than comments.” It was pointed out to him that this could indicate trolling behavior, in which case it would be further damning rather than a defense. Trolling is essentially self gratifying, like masturbation or relishing a sense of superiority. If you accused someone of being a poor lover and they said, “Well, in my defense, I enjoy masturbation,” it would not be a defense. It would show how utterly disconnected they had become, due to their habit of self gratification.

Self gratification has low worth and should remain unsung.
  • Streetlight
    The Freudian in me is having a field day over here.

He says: au contraire, we have drilled down to the essentials.
  • Janus
    Possibly for the unenlightened. :wink:
  • Janus
    Watchin' through the window were ya? :joke:
  • Pfhorrest
    Self gratification has low worth and should remain unsung.praxis

If everyone could gratify themselves in every way then the world would be quite a happy place.

It's only self-gratification at the expense of others' gratification that's blameworthy.

But only inasmuch as anything at the expense of others is blameworthy.
  • Streetlight
    There's something particularly Christian - Protestant - about the aversion to self-gratification. As if we should all be in an Opus Dei cult, whipping ourselves on the back by way of suffering every fool that ejaculates words on a screen.
  • Baden
    0.72. *Shrug* I issue diktats. I don't need responses. :party:
  • fdrake
    There's something particularly Christian - Protestant - about the aversion to self-gratification. As if we should all be in an Opus Dei cult, whipping ourselves on the back by way of suffering every fool that ejaculates words on a screen.StreetlightX

I feel like you are totes kink shaming here.
  • Streetlight
    Ahh it's true. Gonna have to sacrifice an additional goat at the upcoming equinox orgy to make up for that.
  • fdrake

Braiding fools into a whip!
  • praxis
    It's only self-gratification at the expense of others' gratification that's blameworthy.Pfhorrest

I should point out that I was probably being more self-gratifying than serious, and it was about praise rather than blame. Regardless of that I disagree with your statement simply because we can reproach ourselves for the cost that self-gratification has on us as individuals. Our reproach need not be so melodramatic as to require whip and tote, of course, unless you’re into that sort of thing.
  • MSC
    There is nothing more erotic, nor beautiful, than my partner's face as she orgasms.Banno

Helping out your ratio while simultaneously pointing out that if you don't want to objectify your partner, "There is no one more erotic, nor beautiful than my partners face as she orgasms." Would be the better way to phrase this... If she happens to like being objectified (a known kink) then forget I said anything and carry on!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment