• Shawn
    A set of instructions written by someone with conscious intent for a machine lacking such a capability.apokrisis

How can a conscious computer "lack"?
  • apokrisis
    Did you misunderstand? I was saying that humans with conscious intent write the programs. The computer runs the program without consciousness or intent.
  • Shawn
    Did you misunderstand? I was saying that humans with conscious intent write the programs. The computer runs the program without consciousness or intent.apokrisis

Ok, makes sense. But, I'm focusing on sentient computers.
  • apokrisis
    But, I'm focusing on sentient computers.Shawn

Of which there are none. Except in every sci-fi work of fiction I guess.
  • Shawn
    Of which there are none. Except in every sci-fi work of fiction I guess.apokrisis

How are you so sure?
  • apokrisis
    How are you so sure?Shawn

Did you have an example of one?
  • Shawn
    Did you have an example of one?apokrisis

Seemingly, an example cannot be provided since, I think, it cannot ever be determined if it really is conscious or even sentient according to the information processor theory or something?
  • TheMadFool
    You are absolutely correct.fishfry

:smile:
  • Wayfarer
    We have to figure out why some piles of atoms become life.fishfry

It has something to do with the ability to form memories. Without memory, there can be no continuity of process, and without continuity of process, there can be no homeostasis. And there's nothing known to physics - the 'behaviour of atoms' - which accounts for that.
  • TheMadFool
    We have to figure out why some piles of atoms become life.fishfry

Is it possible that this can't be done within the current scientific paradigms? Something is missing - it may remind you of élan vital but that is probably not the right answer - Something is missing [from our theories.]

Something...is...missing!

Any ideas, Monsieur?
  • Shawn
    Isn't it humiliating to think a computer is superior to you in every single regard? As much as you'd like to pitifully think you are better or greater or faster or more beautiful, it just ain't so honey.
  • Shawn
    It's a pitiful psychology to find a niche in terms of dangly parts instead of something so much more complex and sophisticated as a computer. Be it as it is, human psychology doesn't seem entertaining to me. It kind of hangs around the same topic all the time. And, to further say that computers or sophisticated Generalized-AI doesn't have a psychology is doubly erroneous.
  • fishfry
    It has something to do with the ability to form memories.Wayfarer

An elevator forms memories. I fail to grasp your point.
  • fishfry
    Any ideas, Monsieur?TheMadFool

No, was just acknowledging that life, whatever it is, may well be prerequisite to consciousness.
  • bert1
    How are you so sure?
    — Shawn

Did you have an example of one?
    apokrisis

@Shawn, you could try asking the question again.
  • TheMadFool
    No, was just acknowledging that life, whatever it is, may well be prerequisite to consciousness.fishfry

That's fair.
  • David Thomas Roberts
    Consciousness may be a phenomenon that develops when certain characteristics and aggregates accumulate in a combination that facilitates or favors the arise of cognition.
    AI may suffice.
  • David Thomas Roberts
    would of necessity be very complex and would be a defining differentiation between organic and inorganic aggregates as vessels of true awareness and cognition.
  • David Thomas Roberts
    but first we must define or at least determine the characteristics of consiousness
  • David Thomas Roberts
    I am preparing to read some Hegel on the Phenomenology of Spirits.
  • David Thomas Roberts
    I am a practicing Vajrayana Buddhist so my view is colored by the rationality of the clear light awareness arguments. In particular the arguments of Nagarjuna and the practices described by Tsong Khapa are very compelling, based on actual perceptions found in deep meditative near death practices.
  • JerseyFlight
    Humans are so funny, so very very funny, they think their little brains is so special and high. Supernaturalists just love questions related to consciousness, it gives them another chance to reinstate their happy immortality systems on life. The premise is always that consciousness is so amazing, so incredibly profound. Little dumb dumb humans can't even fly very far off their rock, fills earth with garbage and waste. Uses consciousness to make bombs to blow itself up.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.