• Jamal
    You flag a post to report it to the mods for breaking the rules.

Not that we have any rules right now. But you get the idea. :)
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Gotcha! Thank you for information. Also is the (L) option no longer available to show you like a post?

Thank you for the Uber fast response! 8-)
  • Jamal
    Gotcha! Thank you for information. Also is the (L) option no longer available to show you like a post?ArguingWAristotleTiff

We had a poll and it looked like people didn't like likes very much so I turned likes off. Ideally I'd like likes for posts but not accruing to members, but that's not an option (not yet anyway).
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff

Is it possible to create a room for sponsors of sorts? I utilized the "Green Room" quite a bit and it just seemed like a place that people knew what to expect and it was rarely Philosophy but rather a community table of something as simple as chit chat or deep thoughts about what in a member's personal life might be playing out.
    Yes, I suggest this for personal reasons but I do so miss that back booth at the pub~ Almost as much as I miss my hometown of Chicago and the family it holds. Surprising to read what I just wrote, but it is a true feeling for me. It tells me just how much you all mean to me and that, THAT, I cherish~
    (L)
  • S
    It seems that one cannot view the results of a particular poll unless one votes in that poll.
  • noAxioms
    I was unable to sign up for over a year, and it occurs to me that it was because my attempts were from a different PC. I signed up finally on my home laptop. Now I try to log in via that alternate desktop and I cannot. I can enter email and password, but the button does nothing. Same problem as signing up. Got to entering London (not there anymore??), but the do-it button never did anything.
    Several different browsers all acted the same.
    This means I can only view the site as a guest for three days in the middle of most weeks. I cannot reply to posts directed at me.

As guest, I cannot see the age of the posts. Is that deliberate?
  • Jamal
    I'm having a hard time interpreting your comment, nA. Are you saying you can't log in from one of the computers or devices that you normally use? I've never heard of this problem before. I don't know what you mean by "entering London" and "the do-it button".
  • Jamal
    $$x = {-b \pm \sqrt{b^2-4ac} \over 2a}.$$
  • Jamal
    It seems we have MathJax integration now, although as far as I can see it doesn't kick in till you refresh the page after posting.
  • noAxioms
    I used to be asked the capitol of England as part of the signup process last year. That was always as far as I got. I could not enter my reply. The do-it button is whatever button (sign up, sign in) that actually does the action (submits the form), and doesn't just go to a page with things to fill out.
    So yes, I cannot log in or sign up via this one computer, or possibly via the company network. I can experiment with this one by logging off, putting up the (VPN) company network, and then trying to log back in from this laptop. If that fails, it is the network, perhaps preventing me from submitting a form to what they consider only a semi-safe site. Not sure if there's anything you can do about that.
  • Jamal
    Whether it's the computer or the local network, I wouldn't know, but my first thought is that it's a browser issue. Is it an old browser?

Either way there's probably nothing I can do about it.
  • Michael
    Stop using IE 6.
  • Jamal
    The thought that some people are still using IE6 keeps me awake at night, so I try to ignore it.
  • noAxioms
    Using chrome 51, or IE 11
    How does one sign out? Just toss my cookies?
    I wanted to experiment since I have the funny network up now.
    It obviously lets me post, but not sign in or sign up.
  • Jamal
    It obviously lets me post, but not sign in or sign up.noAxioms

You wouldn't be able to post if you weren't signed in, so I'm still confused about what your problem is.

To sign out you click on "Sign out". It's down below the left hand category menu.
  • noAxioms
    Sign out is under "Other sites we like". Logical....
    Anyway, the problem is the hostile network. I signed out and the attempt to sign in was greeted with the hate screen of downloading from an untrusted site.
    So if the sign-in process can be done without downloading anything (if it's the cookie, I just don't see how that can be avoided), then the problem is entirely mine.

Right now I am out of the virtual private network, so I was able to sign in again. Mid-week, I have no access to out-of-network internet
  • Michael
    Are you getting this page (ignore the URL, obviously)?

test__1_.jpg
  • noAxioms
    No, more like the parental control block for my 'parents' whose network it is.
    They're trying to prevent me from downloading malicious stuff.
    This site is listed as untrustworthy, sort of like facebook.
  • Wayfarer
    Is there an 'ignore' feature, like there was on PF?
  • Jamal
    No. Seems like a reasonable thing to ask the developers for though. They've implemented a few of the things we asked for before.
  • noAxioms
    You're only asking that now because I finally signed up.
  • Wayfarer
    No names.....:)
  • Wayfarer
    I should learn to live without it.
  • Jamal
    I've added the ignore thing to the latest list of like-to-haves. It turns out I already asked them for it, back in November. I'll ask again, but I'll wait a while to gather some more requests.

See here: http://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/30/feature-requests/p1
  • m-theory
    Is there any way to clear the mentions cache?
  • Jamal
    You mean clear the items in your list of mentions? Not that I know of. Why would you want to do that?
  • m-theory

IDK...I guess it just seems...cluttery to me?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.