• Ed Davis
    I am a scientist.

Some time ago I was talking to a colleague about whether or not to accept a research paper for publication.

It had methodological weaknesses but he said he could accept these because the study findings were “right” – i.e. he agreed with the results even though the methods used were vulnerable to bias.

I said we shouldn’t lower the bar just because the results fit with our preconceived notion of what is “true”. He replied:

“If someone tells me there is a horse in the field behind their house, I won’t need any more evidence to believe them than their word… but, if they tell me there is a unicorn, I wouldn’t believe it even if they showed me photographs”.

This has troubled me ever since as it is not a question that I have been able to resolve.

Should we accept less evidence (e.g. weaker research studies) if they support what we already believe? Or is this just giving in to confirmation bias?

Can philosophy help?
  • Ed Davis
    I have just spotted the Philosophy of Science forum so, if a passing moderator wants to move this post there, then please go ahead.
  • tim wood
    Can philosophy help?Ed Davis
    No. It seems there are a few issues. 1) You know the differences between a horse and a unicorn. Apparently you're not so clear on the significance or importance of those differences. 2) What exactly are the research studies about? What is their purpose? A conclusion that is likely true and likely to be accepted as true can be reported with appropriate caveats. In even the best research studies are there not many, many aspects not proved but instead accepted as given? 3) What are the exact requirements for publishing? If rigor and exactitude are required, then maybe even a picture of the horse might not suffice.

It appears there's no one-size-fits-all answer. Probably that's why there are editorial review boards, and whatever other kinds of review technical journals have.
  • A Seagull
    Method is everything. Without a clear cut method, one only has gossip and opinion. It is something that philosophy, particularly popular philosophy, suffers from to the extent that much of it cannot be distinguished from fiction.
    However in science, the tried and tested methods are well established. If a research paper follows rigorous methods, then it is science. If its conclusions are banal, (ie already known) it can be passed over, but if its conclusions are new or controversial it should be published. If it doesn't follow rigorous methods it should be consigned to the flames, irrespective of its conclusions.
  • Banno
    “If someone tells me there is a horse in the field behind their house, I won’t need any more evidence to believe them than their word… but, if they tell me there is a unicorn, I wouldn’t believe it even if they showed me photographs”.Ed Davis

Belief is not algorithmic. It doesn't follow from a set of rules.

(There's a pretty straight forward argument for this in which, in order to believe in the rules one would have to apply them; but to apply them one would have to already believe them.)

SO at some stage you are just going to have to make a decision as to if the methodological weakness was enough to invalidate the findings.
  • Caldwell
    Should we accept less evidence (e.g. weaker research studies) if they support what we already believe? Or is this just giving in to confirmation bias?Ed Davis

Hello.

Good question!

It looks like you've shifted from the trust put on the person claiming the existence of the 'horse in the field behind their house' to the existence of an object -- the unicorn.

Ask yourself whether your colleague trusted the methodology, the person making the claim, or the claim itself.
  • RogueAI
    Philosophy can always help, specifically the branch called epistemology (study of knowledge).

“If someone tells me there is a horse in the field behind their house, I won’t need any more evidence to believe them than their word… but, if they tell me there is a unicorn, I wouldn’t believe it even if they showed me photographs”.

This is an example of "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence", which you may have heard. The claim that unicorns (mythological creatures) exist is extraordinary for obvious reasons. Extraordinary claims tend to not be true because they usually turn out to be mistaken ordinary claims (e.g., UFO claims). So if a claim is extraordinary, it can usually be safely dismissed unless the person making the claim provides really compelling evidence. Sometimes it's wrong to dismiss extraordinary claims. "The Earth is round" was probably an extraordinary claim for much of our history. It certainly doesn't look round. Same with the Earth going around the sun. Quantum mechanics makes a lot of extraordinary claims. Quantum physicists still can't agree on what's going on in experiments that have been around for decades (e.g., Many Worlds Interpretation vs. Copenhagen Interpretation).

Another thing that's helpful to do is assign degrees of belief to claims. The claim "there's a unicorn in the backyard" would be assigned a very low degree of belief (percentage). The claim "the sun will rise tomorrow" would be assigned a very high percentage. Claims that have a high degree of belief are "safe" claims to believe in- you probably won't be wrong. Claims with low degrees of belief require evidence to "safely" believe in.
  • TheMadFool
    The great magician Penn/Teller (I'm not sure) said something very precious in one of his countless interviews: the more you want to believe something, the more suspicious you should be about anything that confirms that something. I think he was referring to confirmation bias and cherrypicking with that.

However, take the reverse side of this coin of rationality - intuition. Great mathematicians like Gauss have claimed that intuition - that vague, nebulous, almost magical way of gaining deep understanding of an issue - beats methodical stepwise logical thinking any day. It's possible that this intuition can translate in to what at first glance appeare to be simple wishful thinking but may actually indicate a realization of a fundamental aspect of an issue.

Just saying...
  • SophistiCat
    “If someone tells me there is a horse in the field behind their house, I won’t need any more evidence to believe them than their word… but, if they tell me there is a unicorn, I wouldn’t believe it even if they showed me photographs”.Ed Davis

I had to read this a couple of times: at first I thought that your colleague was responding to a different question. I can kind of see some connection to what you were asking, but only by a loose association.

If the work was poorly done, what does it matter whether what it sought to establish was plausible or not? If it doesn't meet the standards for publication, it shouldn't be published. If you think it's a borderline case, and perhaps there were objective limitations that accounted for its methodological weakness, then look at other factors.

Ordinary claims are ordinary because they fit in with things that are already backed by strong evidence. If the study confirms something that is already well-established (as your colleague seemed to imply), then what's the point of adding a poor quality study to the mix? (Unless perhaps it develops an original, independent line of evidence.) But if it is something rare or unexpected, meaning that there probably hasn't been any better evidence, that might actually actually make even a weak study more valuable, especially if the conclusion would be significant, if true.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.