• Deletedmemberwap
    Just for fun, here's a random thought I came up with:

Since life is often hard work, and by its nature inherently meaningless, why fear death? Because ceasing to be cannot be any scarier than the trials and tribulations of living.

(Accepting all viewpoints and counterarguments)
  • Wheatley

I agree with everything you just said, but I don't fear death. I fear dying.
  • DingoJones
    Since life is often hard work, and by its nature inherently meaningless, why fear death? Because ceasing to be cannot be any scarier than the trials and tribulations of living.

Wandering-Philosopher

Ok, just for fun. Hard work comes with rewards, you left that out of your equation. That omission skews the argument.
    Why is life inherently meaningless? What fo you mean by that?
    Ceasing to be can indeed be scarier than trials and tribulations sir, if one is more afraid of not being than they are of life's trials and tribs.
  • Deleteduserrc
    death and dying is scary: that’s the main reason people fear death. Have you seen someone die? It’s not usually a neat fade-to-black. It is itself a trial and tribulation, often as not.
  • Valentinus
    My friends who are gone now frame the discussion with their absence.
    I don't have anything clever to say. The "just for fun" introduction makes me want to hurt you.
    But that doesn't matter.

There is something you will eventually understand. It won't be because of a superior argument.
    Whatever.
  • christian2017
    Just for fun, here's a random thought I came up with:

Wandering-Philosopher

In my opinion everybody should be of a certain particular religion. lol.

#Shark_Fighter_Nation is the political party i belong too.

this includes sky diving, shark fighting, moving to chicago, moving to Iran, fighting a rattle snake with a pair of shears, fighting aligators, fighting bears.

I believe some people should avoid death all they can until much later in life.

On a separate note no one under any circumstance after doing any particular thing should ever commit suicide.

I don't believe having a death wish means a person has extra character neccesarily.
  • Josh Lee

That’s the question nihilist face, since life is filled with suffering, why do many fear death. I personally think the reason why people fear death is because they fear the unknown. What happens after death? That’s the real issue. To overcome this fear, they submit themselves to religious beliefs which assure them life after death is more than it seems. A true world theory like what Nietzhe presents. Hence it’s not really death per se but the mystery surrounding it.

To add on to this, there’s the common phrase Momento Mori. The greeks don’t really fear death, instead they remind themselves of it. Supposedly, this is to remind themselves that they have one life to live and to live it to the fullest. This can somewhat go into the idea of regret which is something most people fear. They fear not being able to accomplish what they want in their life, hence they are afraid of not being able to life live to its fullest.

Lastly is somewhat the attachment to things. People are afraid to die because they fear losing everything. With death, you can’t bring anything to you to the grave. The emptiness somewhat also strikes fear into others as they don’t want to part with what they accomplish. Then again, why do you earn so much just to lose it all. Somewhat paradoxical as it seems.

Also a side detour into suicide. Many would argue since life is inherently meaningless, why don’t we just kill ourselves? Albert Camus put this nicely in which he says (probably butchered it) suicide is an acknowledgement of the absurdity of life and doing so just makes one’s life more absurd. Instead we should rebel against this and find the search for the meaning of life meaningful itself.

Apologies for the incoherent flow of thoughts, it’s just random suggestions and I hope it helps.
  • BC
    Just for fun, here's a random thought I came up withWandering-Philosopher

What makes you think your thought was random? Was there a random voltage fluctuation in your brain that caused that thought to occur? A cosmic ray striking a raw nerve?

Since life is often hard work, and by its nature inherently meaninglessWandering-Philosopher

Life is a lot of work, for sure, but what makes you think it is [a] inherently meaningless? How did you arrive at that conclusion -- both the meaninglessness, and the inherentness?

why fear death? Because ceasing to be cannot be any scarier than the trials and tribulations of living.Wandering-Philosopher

A stronger statement might be "Being dead wouldn't be any worse than not being born."

(Accepting all viewpoints and counterarguments)Wandering-Philosopher

There's the difference between death and dying. Woody Allen said that he wasn't afraid of dying; he just didn't want to be there when it happened.

Obviously, one reason people fear death is that they have absorbed too much of the over-heated literal heaven/hell business of Christianity.
  • Josh Lee
    Just for fun, here's a random thought I came up with:Wandering-Philosopher

Haha I think this is beside the point of his question, some people start off like that to create a sense of informality. Maybe it was a casual thought, but most thoughts derive from a subconscious desire or idea, so some experience may have directed you to that thought without you knowing. Anyways I guess this is beside the point of the question.
  • Hot Potato
    "Why Fear Death?"
    Because we don't know if the after-life consists of our dreams of bedding the neighbour's beautiful wife or of our nightmares of being pursued by ferocious monsters.
  • christian2017

good point. I believe in Jesus so i'll be bedding my neighbor's handsome son. Hes over 18. Don't judge.
  • Deletedmemberwap
    The "just for fun" introduction makes me want to hurt you.Valentinus

What a cvnt.
  • Judaka

You must really dislike your work if it's worse than being dead.
  • Outlander
    An emotionally provocative discussion, as shown.

One would hope the intent is to dissuade others from limiting their life choices and hence opportunity due to the fear, rational or irrational, of death. Within reasonable limits of course. Not locking your doors or traveling to unsavory neighborhoods obviously being excluded.

However, I have noticed people speak as if they know what "being dead" is due to their own ironic religious doctrine of believing only what can be proven, something that if followed would have us in a world without theories and essentially living in the Bronze Age. Or that persons lost to suicide did so for reasons other than deeply personal ones. They were likely suffering in some way and chose to end it. Terrible? Perhaps. But if people who did so wanted those they knew and chose to befriend in life to suffer as well they would've surely said so. I am not saying so little as that the decision should be respected as clearly the suffering was likely hoisted onto their plate and so had little say over it, rather that their life was exactly that, their life. Not an accent to another's for enjoyment or emotional depth that just so happens to affect one's own.

If you care about a social pandemic, where do you spend the majority of your time and energy. Analyzing the symptom or the cause?
  • Benj96
    Because ceasing to be cannot be any scarier than the trials and tribulations of living.Wandering-Philosopher

Some people are comforted by a sense of control or knowledge or purpose or identity, the list goes on... which is why death terrifies them because it is a loss of any semblance of control over your existence/awareness, a point at which your direct influence on the world stops (hence why legacy is so prized to affirm ones validity in life).

It is also a point at which knowledge fails to extend beyond . .. a point of total ignorance and uncertainty, it is also the loss of ones identity. So naturally people fear it.

However if one were to live by a few fundamental philospohical tenets / beliefs - such as "I have no true control over my life", "I don't require purpose I am the purpose of my existence" -being present/state of now etc, or "my identity is an illusion/assumption built out of independent bias/prejudices and choices etc" or others like "rebirth" or "panpsychicism"... and so on, the list of logical reasons to fear death diminish.

My basic reason to try and avoid death is, that my life is the only time in which to do stuff that living things do. Which i'm sure are likely more diverse than those that dead things do.

While being a rock for a few million years sounds like a hoot I'd prefer my carbon to contribute to an experience of something for a while first. Haha
  • Deletedmemberwap
    This thread has successfully shown me how rude people can be. And that philosophy is full of twats. Congrats.
  • Wheatley

I wouldn’t take it personally. The internet brings out the worst.
  • Deletedmemberwap
    yeah well... i'm in bad shape and don't need comments from utter asswipes adding further to my personal suffering. philosophy is supposed to be a subject of the learned, the thoughtful and the wise. sadly, this forum has shown me anything BUT.

@Baden, please delete my account and thread/s

Thank you.
  • Judaka

"Life is hard work" but that hard work isn't your job? What is your hard work?

It is just kind of silly to say that death is not scarier than living, I assume you think that nothing comes after death. Then you ask "why fear death?" without really addressing any of the reasons that people fear death. You don't address the "trials and tribulations" either.

Many people posted way longer responses than you deserved but you seem to have ignored them and just focused on the one or two posts that poked fun at your poorly written OP. Then you insult the whole forum.

What do you think people should make of that?
  • Outlander

So now it's a crime to try to do/learn about something worthwhile? Put someone in a racecar with no training. Put someone raised in the city their whole life into the wild forest with only the clothes on their backs. Put a beginner in chess against a lifelong prodigy. Bet they won't win.

Frankly, I think after one is enlightened, they want as little to do with technology or rather the modern world or current society as possible. Let's drop the crab mentality some eh. Let others grow.
  • Deletedmemberwap
    My poorly written OP was my first EVER OP and my first EVER philosophical argument.

I think you guys are brutal, and some of us don't arent ready for the hate. Considering I've lost everything in the last 3 months, including my "work" as you put it, and both my parents.

I had hoped that it would be a little more welcoming here... I don't suffer fools.
  • Wheatley
    I think you should try mental health forum (and I'm not saying this put you down). There are very kind and supportive people on those forums. This the last place to go if your suffering emotional problems.
  • Deletedmemberwap
    i was obviously misinformed about the nature of philosophy, thinking that it would be a gentler crowd. so i think you are right, wheatley. thank you.
  • 3017amen
    Some people are comforted by a sense of control or knowledge or purpose or identity, the list goes on... which is why death terrifies them because it is a loss of any semblance of control over your existence/awareness,Benj96

I was only going to add to that, the fear of the unknown. Of course the irony is, here, the nature of our own existence is largely unknown.

To the OP, if life as we know it ( self-aware conscious existence) remains mysterious or unexplained, it seems as though it would follow that the similar phenomenon of death would be no less mysterious.

Nevertheless, to explore the nature of fear itself, would be worth the sojourn...
  • Outlander

What made you interested in philosophy? Being able to understand more, become smarter, more sophisticated or otherwise improve your life? To improve the world and the lives of others around you? Whatever it was two highly circumstantial yet equally relevant facts remain. The world we live in is imperfect and though full of joy is also full of hardship. And it is in fact the gentle who would remind an adversary their shoes are untied and a true as you say "polisher of the posterior" who would instead say nothing and allow him to fall.

No not every thread here is a showstopper. But the majority are intellectually occupying and sometimes even downright over my head. Which is all good. I'd stick around a bit.
  • Wheatley
    I'd stick around a bit.Outlander
    @Wandering-Philosopher I wouldn't if I were you, there are way too many sharks here.
  • Outlander

I'd rather learn about wild animals from a virtual setting than in the wild, now wouldn't you?
  • Wheatley
    Not when you are suffering severe emotional distress. Avoid all predators, I say.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.