• Benj96
    Do we have a purpose? Does the universe have a purpose? Is "purpose" synonymous with "function" and not limited to the realm of conscious entities or can only aware things have a purpose? If I truly believe I have a purpose do I definitely have one then? Could you ever prove I dont? Would it be right to tell people they dont have a purpose if that's what you believe to be more realistic?
  • Pfhorrest
    A purpose is whatever something is good for, regardless of whether it was created intentionally to serve that good.
  • Heiko
    Could you ever prove I dont? Would it be right to tell people they dont have a purpose if that's what you believe to be more realistic?Benj96
    A little joke: Of course you have a purpose... Who else should pay your elders pension?
  • Benj96
    I'm mean fair haha :)
  • jgill
    I'm an existentialist, having read Sartre over a half century ago. I spend very little time reminiscing over past experiences. Even at an advanced age I look to the future. My purpose evolves. :cool:
  • Josh Lee

As lame as it sounds, only you know the answer and a general answer is “it depends”. That is what religions and philosophy are for, to answer the simple question,” What is the meaning/purpose of life?” Hence your life philosophy will decide your own answer.

With regards to this, there are various ways it can go. Existentialism, Stoicism, Hedonism, Nihilism. These are a few philosophy which answers your question. Your purpose may be very complex or so simple.

Just for fun of it, let’s end of with a quote from Albert Camus who discussed absurdism,” The literal meaning of life is whatever you're doing that prevents you from killing yourself.“
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment