• Laila
    I’m only very new to philosophy, but immediately I was attracted to the question, “what is humanity’s purpose?” And I've thought about it a lot. This is my theory, and I want to know what other people think of it.

One could say that the meaning or purpose of life is up to the person or that it’s something like happiness but in my opinion the reality is probably harsher than that. That’s not to say you can’t have some kind of motivation or have something you feel is your purpose, but I think saying it’s the entire reason you were born is incorrect.

Compare humanity to all other living things that exist, or perceive at least. Everything else that lives has some kind of role to play, no matter how minor, on Earth at least, everything fits nicely in and has an underlying purpose. Everything that is, except humans. Take away an animal or plant and ecosystems and complex systems collapse. Take humans away and life and the world flourishes. Humanity is essentially a tyrant conquering and trying to control the world. Not necessarily individuals – although many people do actively contribute – but humanity as a whole wreaks havoc on the natural world and other humans. Even though animals can be cruel, they all support the ecosystem and keep everything alive. Humans are cruel without that and even the majority of the kind ones only help other humans. Even the ones that do help the world do so by going out of their way, they don’t support the world just by doing what they need to like everything else. Which brings up the question, if humans don’t do what others do, what do they do? Nothing. Or their underlying purpose is destruction/death.

It’s hard to believe that this one species would be useless and go awry when everything else fits together as it does. Well first of all, how is everything made in such a perfect way? A god? Unlikely, or at least, unlikely in the way most people imagine gods, in my opinion at least. Perhaps there is a force that determines the complex systems that function perfectly. There is no way to know.

Back to humanity’s purpose. Life and death are simply two sides of the same coin, one can not exist without the other, and there is a cycle of life and death that must take place. So, it is possible that humanity is the death side of the coin. And that there is a cycle being repeated, and that perhaps humanity really is only there in order to make that cycle a reality. Nature brings life and prosperity, and humanity brings around death and loss. It is possible, after all I doubt humanity really is not there for anything, unless something went wrong somewhere along the line, in which case the existence of some guiding or determining force is likely. It is also my belief that the universe, space, doesn’t follow the rules of time and that saying there is a start to it, and also saying it has been there forever aren’t quite right.

I believe space is essentially a time-less holding pen for the cycles of life and death, birth and destruction to take place, and that time is a thing not fit for space. If imagining space as a fishbowl with many planets inside, each repeating phases of life and death, with a time-line independant to said fishbowl helps visualise it, I think that accurately expresses my belief. When I say space, I exclude planets, stars and the like, those are the things in the fishbowl, which is separate from the fishbowl itself.

I know very well that this may not be true and is probably already a theory, but I just wanted to know what others thought of my perception on our underlying purpose and the connection it has to space and the universe.
  • noAxioms
    Welcome to TPF!

’m only very new to philosophy, but immediately I was attracted to the question, “what is humanity’s purpose?”Laila
    Personally, the first thing I would ask is 'purpose to what?'. A thing might have different purposes to different things. A leaf might serve the tree's purpose of gathering light energy, but the same leaf might serve the purpose of food to a bug, or shade to something else. It serves a purpose to X if it meets a goal of X, so first steps are to pick an X and determine its goals.

One could say that the meaning or purpose of life is up to the person or that it’s something like happiness but in my opinion the reality is probably harsher than that. That’s not to say you can’t have some kind of motivation or have something you feel is your purpose, but I think saying it’s the entire reason you were born is incorrect.
    You're suddenly switching from purpose of humanity to your own purpose as an individual. I doubt they serve the same purpose to various things.

Take humans away and life and the world flourishes.
    You recognize humanity as a sort of pandemic to the ecosystem. It is predicted that the Holocene extinction event will claim perhaps 85% of all species. This has happened before, arguably not with negative long term consequences, depending again on what bar is used to measure goals being met or not. But I agree, that most recent/current species would be better off had humanity never come along.

Well first of all, how is everything made in such a perfect way?
    It isn't perfect, even before humans. Perfection would arguably not involve extinctions anymore, but even that can be driven to calamity.

So, it is possible that humanity is the death side of the coin.
    Death of all things is inevitable, with or without humans helping.

I really didn't grok the fishbowl analogy.
  • universeness
    “what is humanity’s purpose?”Laila

Imo,

1. To give increased meaning to the Universe compared to the significance it has without lifeforms such as humans.

2. To ask questions and seek answers, We do this better than any other species on Earth does. That purpose is therefore most associated with humans on this planet.

everything fits nicely in and has an underlying purpose.Laila

Do you think you could explain the purpose of Lions to their prey?
    Do you think their prey would consider Lions as evil as humans?

It’s hard to believe that this one species would be uselessLaila

Are lions and lambs more useful than humans. Would the Earth survive without Lions and Lambs as successfully as it could without humans?

Was the Earth a more significant place when the dinosaurs dominated?
    Does the term significance have any importance to you when you deliberate about humanities purpose?
  • T Clark
    Compare humanity to all other living things that exist, or perceive at least. Everything else that lives has some kind of role to play, no matter how minor, on Earth at least, everything fits nicely in and has an underlying purpose. Everything that is, except humans. Take away an animal or plant and ecosystems and complex systems collapse. Take humans away and life and the world flourishes.Laila

Welcome to the forum. This is a well-thought-out post. Well-written and clear.

I think the problem with your proposition is that you are judging the purpose of non-human living organisms based on human values. Excluding God, there is no one around but us humans to ascribe purpose to anything. If we weren't around, nothing would have any purpose or value.

Stewardship of the environment means protecting the living world for responsible and sustainable human use. Perhaps ironically, the only way to achieve that is by acting as though the world has value independent of us.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment