• Marylil
    "The right answer is not always the solution"
    I love this quote from a proper Devon farmer and genuine lovely man.
    Up for discussion as it really made my think and would welcome your thoughts.
  • Monitor
    We would have to have a definition of both terms, which might be a lot of hair splitting
  • Marylil
    Why do you need definition? That's the whole point!
  • Monitor
    Alright, do you have an example or context to what this lovely man was talking about? Math? personal struggles? golf swing?
  • Marylil
    Crikey Monitor - maybe tomorrow I will pop round (within 2 m) and ask this 70+ farmer what he actually meant? I can guarantee you it was not about any golf swing. I guess being a farmer in Devon England (you are so American!) it may have been past personal struggles that he was referring to. I work in the agricultural industry and I find that very often farmers have wonderful wisdom. I put this down to the solitary nature of their job plus their continued solidarity with nature, weather and immediate environment. I welcome your thoughts.
  • Marylil
    BTW - why (and I quote) "We would have to have a definition of both terms....."
    Why are you a "WE"
  • Monitor

Well my thoughts don't feel very welcome at the moment.

1. I said "We" because I presume there will be more joining this discussion than the two of us.
    2. In the five years I have been on this forum questions like yours are always greeted by asking the
    poster to define his terms. It's fundamental. It keeps people from straw-manning each other.
    3. No I don't expect him to tell us what he meant, I expect you to at least tell us what it meant to you and
    your thoughts on answers vs. solutions to give it a little shape in the beginning.
    4. I'm so American? Perhaps I'm wasting your time.
  • jgill
    "The right answer is not always the solution"Marylil

I assume this pertains to a specific problem. (Otherwise, "I need to get to point A as quickly as possible. How long will it take if I run?" The right answer is 20 minutes, which is too long and thus no solution.)
  • River Lantzantz

I interpret this as; if something has social impact (for example money) it has been introduced to provide a solution to a societal problem. In the long run although, it is only a temporary solution to a bigger problem and is not capable of solving the problems that come associated with it. We need to recognize these social constructs for what they are and that is a blanket solution to problems we have yet to perceive. We should use these social constructs as a means to the end instead of taking them for their face value
  • TheMadFool
    "The right answer is not always the solution"Marylil

Question: In which state does the Mississippi river flow?

Answer: Liquid state

:chin:
  • Outlander

What couldn't this mean. Right could mean moral thus opening a neverending discussion on ethics. It could mean solving a question or demystifying an idea or concept to the fullest understanding and completeness of the one who asked or wondered. On that note it could allude to "the only thing I know is that I know nothing" and simply be a reminder what works for a certain instance at a certain period of time may only do exactly that.

Could be an acknowledgement of subjectivism ie. you ask a novice student on his first day what the answer to an immensely complex equation is and he says "I don't know" being correct.

I'd double down on the idea it's to second guess oneself, actually. 'Reality' is always changing in the sense that hundreds of years ago humans could neither fly nor breathe underwater. Now, thanks to aircraft and scuba gear, they can. In a sense at least. Promotion of keeping an open mind, especially when one may think they are at the pinnacle of all that is or can be known.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.