• Lower Case NUMBERS
    They said that I was interrogating people. This seems controlling and this Aint the only philosophy forum. I won't be controlled.
  • Lower Case NUMBERS
    What is so ironic about it? Im all ears.
  • m-theory
    You want to control how other people answer, but at the same time, you yourself are against being controlled.

That is kind of funny.
  • Lower Case NUMBERS
    I guess you feel pious trolling me? Its ok. I am humble but this type of philosophy has long been practiced.
  • m-theory
    What type of philosophy has long been practiced?
  • m-theory
    Is it true that there is another way philosophy has long been practiced Yes or No?
  • Lower Case NUMBERS
    Please rewrite your question. It's hard to be understood.
  • S
    I agree that it's ironic, and I also found that a little amusing.

Yes, there are indeed other philosophy forums, and you're free to participate at any one you like, unless you get banned. And you will be controlled - like it or not - if you overstep the line. That's what we - the moderators and administrators - do. I have my eye on you. The only one who strikes me as a troll in this discussion is you.

And your question/complaint had already been answered in a private message by Baden:

First of all, I appreciate the fact that you have been polite and non-confrontational on the forum but please note that you don't get to decide how your interlocutors answer questions. This is a philosophy forum not a place for you to prosecute a case. And if that's your intention, you're not doing philosophy, you're evangelizing a set of beliefs, which is not the way we want things done around here (see the guidelines).Baden
  • Baden

By the way, I contacted you in response to a complaint by another member who felt you were evangelizing. So, you weren't actually singled out by the mod team.
  • Lower Case NUMBERS
    No. you will NOT control me. All you will do is REACT to what I do but NO ONE controls me sweety. I know that it SOUNDS good but you don't have any control of what I do. This is America sweety.
  • Michael
    This is America sweety.Lower Case NUMBERS

Well, Sap's in England, so...
  • Lower Case NUMBERS
    Sap? Didn't know people still used that word. I've been called worse by better people sweety.
  • Michael
    It's short for Sapientia. I'm saying that he's in England, so saying "this is America" to him doesn't make much sense.
  • S
    No. you will NOT controlls me. All you will do is REACT to what I do but NO ONE control's me sweety. I know that it SOUNDS good but you don't have any control of what I do.Lower Case NUMBERS

:D

Ok then.

This is America sweety.Lower Case NUMBERS

No, this isn't... honeybun. Although, interestingly, as a .com website, it "remains under ultimate jurisdiction of U.S. law".
  • Lower Case NUMBERS
    U.S. law sweetums, heavily protects the rights of the citizens over any other entity, so bringing up the law does not help your case.
  • Benkei
    .S. law sweetums, heavily protects the rights of the citizens over any other entity, so bringing up the law does not help your case.Lower Case NUMBERS

>:O
  • Michael
    No, this isn't... honeybun. Although, interestingly, as a .com website, it "remains under ultimate jurisdiction of U.S. law".Sapientia

I don't think that's right. .com domains are seizable by the U.S., but I believe the actual website is under the jurisdiction of whatever country houses the web server it runs on.

It's not clear what country that is in this case. A domain lookup points to Cloudflare which is run in the U.S., but that can hide the website's origin IP. Looking at the history of our domain, before it pointed to Cloudflare it pointed to an IP that is either in Germany or the UK. Given that PlushForums is a London company, I'd guess it's the latter.

Which means we're probably under the jurisdiction of UK law.
  • Agustino
    I think more easily we're under the jurisdiction of the owner of the forums, which means Spain. In our dealings with the website - for example subscriptions/donations/etc. we must be under Spanish law. Unless in hosting with Plush jamalrob has agreed to be under a different law jurisdiction.
  • Michael
    Are you talking about PlushForums? They're a London company.
  • Lower Case NUMBERS
    Some what an interesting discussion on the rights of a citizen of the U.S. and the "interweb" which is a global property.
  • Michael
    Found this. Guess we could be anywhere.
  • Agustino
    Yes I know, but Jamalrob isn't located in UK. If I run a website, then I don't necessarily have to follow the law of my hosting company's country, but rather the law of the country I activate in. For example, if I run a gambling website in a country where gambling is illegal, even if I host it in a place where it is legal, I will get in trouble if I target specifically the audience of that country in which it is illegal, and run my website - take my earnings - into that country. And people who come to my website, would generally also have to follow my country's laws, and that would be part of the Terms of Service.
  • Agustino
    In fact, Terms of Service says:

"13. Miscellaneous. This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between The Philosophy Forum and you concerning the subject matter hereof, and they may only be modified by a written amendment signed by an authorized executive of The Philosophy Forum, or by the posting by The Philosophy Forum of a revised version. Except to the extent applicable law, if any, provides otherwise, this Agreement, any access to or use of the Website will be governed by the laws of the state of England and Wales. "

So there we go, case closed.
  • Michael
    Yes I know, but Jamalrob isn't located in UK. If I run a website, then I don't necessarily have to follow the law of my hosting company's country, but rather the law of the country I activate in. For example, if I run a gambling website in a country where gambling is illegal, even if I host it in a place where it is legal, I will get in trouble if I target specifically the audience of that country in which it is illegal, and run my website - take my earnings - into that country.Agustino

Sure, each of us individually is under the legal jurisdiction of whatever country we live in (and I believe also our home country if living elsewhere), but I don't think that's true of the website itself.

The website itself is owned by PlushForums. jamalrob just pays to use it. So unless the website itself is running on a Spanish server, I don't think there's anything they can do (aside from blocking it from being viewed in Spain).
  • Michael
    Ha. Looking there would have been a much simpler solution. I was trying to be clever with domain name lookups and whatnot.

At least I had the right answer. ;)
  • Agustino
    The website itself is owned by PlushForums. jamalrob just pays to use it. So unless the website itself is running on a Spanish server, I don't think there's anything they can do (aside from blocking it from being viewed in Spain).Michael
    Ah I see, yes in that kind of deal that's the case. I thought he owns the forum/website "thephilosophyforum" and hosts with them - because that would be different. He would pay for the hosting and other features available to build the forums, but the domain would be his, and so he would be responsible over the content.
  • Agustino
    and I believe also our home country if living elsewhereMichael
    That would depend on what laws you're thinking about, but mostly it's not the case. You're under the laws of the country you're activating in. For example, if a Nigerian earns his dough from within the borders of the UK, even if he's selling to Nigeria, he'll pay income tax in the UK. He can't pay in Nigeria, because we have a few international standards to avoid double taxation. And in either case, the Nigerian government wouldn't be able to check him. There may be taxes on exporting to there that he has to pay to the Nigerian government though.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment