• Jamal
    It's about time we had a reading. I've looked through this discussion and chosen three that appeal to me and which I haven't read:

Peter Sloterdijk - Rules for the Human Zoo
    https://rekveld.home.xs4all.nl/tech/Sloterdijk_RulesForTheHumanZoo.pdf

Michael Thompson, Apprehending Human Form
    http://cas.uchicago.edu/workshops/wittgenstein/files/2007/10/ThompsonApprehending.pdf

GEM Anscombe - Modern Moral Philosophy
    http://www.pitt.edu/~mthompso/readings/mmp.pdf

Anyone up for it? Any more suggestions?
  • Moliere
    Those look like a good selection to vote between to me. Let's do a poll.
  • Jamal
    Cool. Trying to rustle up some enthusiasm first. The more people the better. And after scanning the Anscombe I've kind of gone off it. I'd like to do something by MacIntyre but all I know of are his longer works. A reading group for After Virtue would be great, if anyone is interested. With all the ethics on this forum and the old PF, I'm surprised he hasn't come up more often.

Anyway, in the meanwhile I'd like to see a few more essay/paper suggestions.
  • Michael
    I vote for Anscombe.
  • Baden
    I like the look of the Sloterdijk. I'll have a look for something else to add. If anyone else has a paper on their mind, now is the time.
  • Baden
    On Bullshit - Harry Frankfurt
  • Jamal
    Perhaps a combined reading with The Art of the Deal? ;)
  • mcdoodle
    I'm up for a read, 'How moral agents became ghosts' could be the Macintyre option.
  • Jamal
    Looks good, but I can't find an accessible copy of it.
  • Jamal
    That last one looks like a good contender.
  • Jamal
    So here's a potential list for the poll:

Peter Sloterdijk, "Rules for the Human Zoo"
    GEM Anscombe, "Modern Moral Philosophy"
    Harry Frankfurt, "On Bullshit"
    Otávio Bueno, "Is Logic A Priori?"

Any more suggestions?
  • Mongrel
    Maybe less democracy. Just schedule them and people will read them?
  • Jamal
    It's a cunning plan. The democratic charade makes people think they've made a decision even if their choice doesn't win, and once they've made suggestions and voted, they feel more committed to taking part. I'm just manipulating the masses for the greater good of the Forum. >:)

More seriously, I very much doubt the previous readings would have been as successful without the formalities.
  • Jamal
    Another way to do it could be to set up a permanent group dedicated to reading something each month, and once you're in the group, you gotta do it. And members would take it in turns to choose the reading material. Come to think of it, that's kind of like a regular reading group isn't it?
  • Mongrel
    Democracy is a religion. Voting is a religious ritual. I saw that somewhere. Cult of the individual.

The US constitution allows the president to become a temporary dictator during wartime. Is that how European countries work also?

I think we should read the Constitution of the European Union. That would be cool.
  • Baden
    Democracy is a religion. Voting is a religious ritual.Mongrel

It's more fun though. I think that's why we we're doing it. Anyway, ain't broke, no need to fix it (unlike real democracies!).
  • Mongrel
    Fine. On Bullshit, then.
  • shmik
    Any more suggestions?jamalrob
    You just believe that because... Roger White
  • Jamal
    Cool, I'll add it to the list and do a poll soon.
  • Pierre-Normand
    Don't take the Thompson paper (Apprehending Human Form) off the list please! It is a masterpiece: accessible and deep. The Anscombe paper would be my second choice among the texts proposed so far. Here is another suggestion:

Don S. Levi, Determinism as a thesis about the state of the world from moment to moment, Philosophy, vol 82, issue 3, 2007.

This paper exposes determinism as an incoherent doctrine owing to its reliance on the idea of "the state of the world at a time" and the uncritical acceptance of the assumptions that underlie this idea (both regarding the nature of time and the allegedly complete determinacy of the "states" of material things). The paper makes use of telling examples and isn't technical.

It can be read online with a free subscription to Jstor.org, or people can send me a private message.
  • Jamal
    Okay PN, Thompson's back in.
  • krishnamurti
    Krishnamurti - Life ahead
    For anyone who's ever had a doubt on the education of the modern age. What should a proper education be like? Just give the first 20 pages a try, your whole mind will be filled with questions.

P.S. : i'm just a fan. the real K is long dead
    http://www.holybooks.com/wp-content/uploads/Jiddu-Khrisnamurti-Life-Ahead.pdf
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.