• Pantagruel
    Time to tap the great resource that is the Philosophy Forum. I read a lot of material from the 18th and 19th century. In so doing, it is apparent that the ideologies of the right and left wings are very fluid, in a way that I think reveals they are not motivated by any kind of overall intuitive ideal, but are in fact highly opportunistic.

What I'm looking for is a book that critically analyses the history of the liberal versus the conservative, preferably beginning with the Whigs and Tories and continuing to present day.

Recommendations?
  • Pantagruel
    I'm starting with David Held's Models of Democracy, but I'm still hoping for something more specific....
  • Jamal

I moved this to where it might elicit more responses. Feel free to move it back to the Lounge if you prefer.
  • Tom Storm
    Being conservative seems to be more of a disposition than a coherent set of beliefs. Neoliberal or 'right wing' (whatever that means today) may be somewhat different.

Ian Dunt's How to Be a Liberal is a popular history of the development of Liberalism - came out last year. Andrew Kenny's Spectator (infamous) essay on The End of Left and Right is pretty fun.
  • javi2541997

Destra e sinistra (Right and Left) by Norberto Bobbio.
  • Pantagruel
    Destra e sinistra (Right and Left) by Norberto Bobbio.javi2541997

Thank you! This does appear to be relevant to my objectives..... :)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.