• Benkei
    Aww, you poor thing, you really can't read can you?
  • Wayfarer
    It has always been and remains a problem that COVID is functionally invisible to so many Americans. We already medicalize death more than most cultures, but the sensible restrictions on visitors to COVID wards have meant that the disease crippling hospitals across the country goes mostly unwitnessed. We all know getting on a ventilator is bad and having to go on an ECMO machine is worse, but most of us have not heard what lungs sound like when they have that by-now-classic “ground glass appearance” in scans. We have not watched people panicking and yanking tubes out because they can’t breathe. We have not seen patients swollen and full of air, unrecognizable. Or proned. Or having their last conversation before they go on the ventilator. ...

You don’t see most of this stuff in these screenshots, either, but you do see a lot you just wouldn’t otherwise. ...The selfies can be brutal. The photographs family members post are worse because the patient is frequently unconscious, bloated, clearly in a bad way. Relatives’ updates tend to feature obsessive medical details like ventilator settings and oxygen saturations, and you learn to recognize the time course of the disease: When mentions of dialysis start up, you know...that the prognosis is poor. The death announcement—once the requests for prayers and hopes for miracles are over—frequently reveals how much worse it really was than anyone let on: You find out the patient also had MRSA, or had developed an autoimmune disease, or had struggled with strokes and clots.

The Unbelievable Grimness of HermanCainAward, the Subreddit That Catalogs Anti-Vaxxer COVID Deaths
  • Tzeentch
    Don't backpeddle now. You were giving us the whole spiel about how tough you were. I'd love to hear more.
  • Benkei
    I'm not backpeddling at all. It goes as follows:

1. I ask them to follow a rule established in trains
    2. they get angry and threaten me
    3. in a lawless environment, I would've broken their legs for the threat to me. It's called self defence, look it up.
    4. Since it's not a lawless environment and the law was on my side, I didn't have to resort to 3 at all

Does that compute in your tiny reptilian brain?
  • Tzeentch
    Oh, I remember something about kicking their ass and broken legs.

Seems like you got rattled by some kids on a train.
  • Benkei
    Yeah yeah, you can't read, we know about your dyslexia. Move along now.
  • Tzeentch
    I would've broken their legs for the threat to me.Benkei

You're playing the tough guy on a philosophy forum. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that. Are you making a case for how little we have evolved beyond chimpanzees?
  • Olivier5
    You're playing the tough guy on a philosophy forum. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that.Tzeentch

You are easily confused.
  • NOS4A2

I side with the kids in your story. You meddled in someone else’s affairs, couldn’t make your case or got angry, so you ran to the authorities. That’s not something to be proud of, in my book. Snitching on your neighbors was commonplace in communist and Nazi regimes, so I can understand the comparison.
  • tim wood
    Seems like you got rattled by some kids on a train.Tzeentch

They were carrying guns and appeared to be ready to use them. Except the guns in this case are possible infection with a no-joke disease. And if you think it a joke, go get infected yourself and see what that does. Or if no stomach for that, volunteer at a hospital overwhelmed by those "jokes." What? No stomach for that either? What are you brave for? Just making infantile/adolescent noise on a website to see how annoying you can be?

Government of the people enacts by the people temporary measures for the people, and you mock and disobey? It's up to me I put you in a cage where you can mock and disobey all you want and more besides, and get infected all you want, without harming anyone who matters. Because you don't.
  • NOS4A2

I’ve discovered that covid authoritarianism is a chance moral refuge for otherwise immoral people. Through sheer tyranny of self-deception they’ve made avoiding people, covering one’s face, hiding in one’s home, and obeying authorities right or wrong, moral acts instead of acts born of fear and ignorance. It might work for a while, Tim, but it will be difficult to rid yourself of the stink you’ve since accumulated.
  • tim wood
    4.7 million self-deceived into thinking themselves dead, and doing such a good job of it that most buried - and that certainly a conservative number. And over 230 million sick now. Wow, we really are self-deceived. ya think? Or maybe they really are dead and sick, and you just an incredibly stupid asshole.

The asshole part because your risks involve other people without their consent and against their consent. Like driving on the wrong side of the road. Do you do that? If not, why not?
  • NOS4A2

My only point is that your aversion to your fellow man, sick or not, is born of fear and ignorance. I say ignorance because you don’t know (nor care to know) whether you can get the disease from them. This leads invariably to your fear and intolerance of those you can only pretend are infectious, speaking about consent out of one side of the mouth while demanding state obedience out of the other. I just want to know how you are able to live like this?
  • tim wood
    You're telling me what I know, and what my circumstances are. Further, your conjectures are absurd on their face, and you an insult to this site. Questions to you: do you understand "pandemic"? Do you understand millions dead and hundreds of millions sick? do you understand that governments in such cases act by and for the people?

I observe you ignored, as you nearly always do, questions to you. Do you drive on the wrong side of the road? If not, why not? Should be a no-brainer for someone as dismissive of authority and its reasons, and of reality, as you.
  • NOS4A2

No, I don’t drive on the wrong side of the road unless I’m passing someone. I don’t drive on the wrong side of the road because I don’t want to be hit by oncoming traffic.

I do understand what a pandemic is. I do understand the death toll and that people are getting ill. No, I do not believe governments act by and for the people.

Oh, so you do know who is infectious or not?
  • Mikie
    No, I do not believe governments act by and for the people.NOS4A2

Thanks to people like you.
  • NOS4A2

It’s because, like you and me, they’re human. I can’t think of any man good enough to be another’s master. Can you?
  • James Riley
    I can’t think of any man good enough to be another’s master. Can you?NOS4A2

"Any man" is singular. I think the U.S. settled that back in the 18th Century. We opted instead, for men, now women too.
  • NOS4A2

I can’t think of any men good enough to be another’s master. Can you?
  • NOS4A2
    Victoria Police granted 'no fly zone' over Melbourne's CBD

From Thursday, no aircraft is allowed within a three nautical mile radius or below 2500 feet of Melbourne's CBD without permission from police.

The "unprecedented" move has sparked anger and the Alliance for Journalists' Freedom (AJF) has demanded police immediately lift the order.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/melbourne-protests-victoria-police-granted-no-fly-zone-over-melbournes-cbd/656f4379-cbb0-45e8-9e38-948951586f22

Maybe they are trying to hide video such as this:

• jorndoe
    , so, no where in your thinking does SARS-CoV-2/pandemic show up? (It's as irrelevant as masking up is trivial?)

hfqakg0cakyh2krv.jpg
  • tim wood
    Do you attend anyone of expertise in your life? Doctor? Lawyer? Mechanic? Dentist? CPA? Or do you know absolutely everything? Don't bother replying because your replies not worth reading. I'll just mock you and insult you as I feel like it and because you have demonstrated over a long time and may posts that you have earned it.
  • frank

That's what I do. :grin:
  • frank

Yea, well. Thanks. :grin:
  • NOS4A2

SARS-CoV-2/pandemic isn’t the one regimenting our lives. We are witness to the greatest peacetime policy failures in world history. Grab the popcorn.
  • Santiago
    In my consideration a mad house dynamics is actualy regimenting our society.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    maybe you're crazy, and just need a little dose of science and some conformity to the popular narrative
  • Santiago
    I beg you pardon, but I don't understand your comment. The virus is real, yes. However our gloval handling of it is in my consideration just a gambling. We are covering death rates and what is actually happening with it, at the majority of the world is totally unknown for anybody. As far as I understand our governments are finally acting in basis of make up data. The real numbers of death world wide are certainly unkown. I'm actually living in one of the few countries free of virus and a month ago I recieve the first dose of a vaccine. Have a nice day from Port Orli Vanuatu. By the way there is no need to get rude and to call the attention of the others by questioning their mental stability.
  • jorndoe
    Dump the blinkers, . :) SARS-CoV-2 replicates, mutates, propagates unchecked wherever it finds fertile grounds, leaving a trail of victims (and taking up resources). And that's not merely a personal thing, but a social thing with consequences, whether you ignore so or not. Social troubles that involve social responses. (Not that masking up is much of a big deal.)

twma1qiznac8218v.jpg
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.