• jamalrob
    Everyone,

We are now seeking submissions of original philosophical articles for publication on our articles site. You can post your submission by sending a private message to one of the editors, and you can include the article as an attachment or as text. If you prefer, you can post your article in this thread as an attachment.

The articles should be of high quality and should be written for a general educated readership. If the topic discussed requires specialized knowledge, we expect a basic introduction in the article. All academic and topical articles will be considered as long as they contain philosophical content. All submissions will be reviewed by our editorial staff.

We look forward to receiving your submissions!

Editors:
    @Hanover, @jamalrob, @Baden, @Michael, @Benkei
  • Agustino
    Hi jamalrob,

Is it only articles you're looking to publish? How about philosophical poems, short stories, dialogues, etc? Would things like that also be acceptable?

For the articles, do you have any parameters in terms of length, structure, and so forth that you're looking for? Thanks!
  • jamalrob
    Hi @Agustino

We'll be setting up a thread here on the forum for artistic work, and we don't intend to publish poems or stories on the Articles site, at least to begin with. Our vision is of a philosophical journal tackling issues in academic philosophy, but one that is accessible to educated lay-people and sometimes relevant to topical concerns. If we do decide to publish poetry or stories in the future it will be in the context of a site that has built up a solid archive of substantial philosophical articles.

As for length, between around 2000 and 5000 words is good, but that won't be strict: the first article, published two days ago, is over 6000 words, and I can imagine shorter pieces being sometimes suitable too.
  • darthbarracuda
    Hi . I'm currently working on a quasi-serious philosophical article concerning the philosophies surrounding the Force in the Star Wars universe. Is it cool if I submit it here once I am done?
  • jamalrob
    You're welcome to submit it darth.
  • jorndoe
    Too quiet here.

Some time ago (must be over a year) I typed "Yet another mind-body hypothesis" in.
    Not really sure if it's appropriate as an article here (might need a cleanup for one), but there is material for discussion (and it has pictures :)).
    I suppose the gist of it is that, regardless of realism idealism substance-dualism physicalism panpsychism whatever, some of these problems may be inherently intractable, and so accounting for them seems more fruitful than trying to explain them away.

Suppose you've gotten yourself a headache. No aspirin at hand. Instead you go scan yourself, fMRI or whatever the latest may be, doesn't really matter. You now have two different angles, the experience of the ache, and a visual overview of your gray matter (need not be visual alone). If only the angles differ, in an ontological sense, then what makes them different? (Does anyone really doubt that feeling hungry (usually) means the body needs replenishment?) Understanding the scan, in this context, would converge on understanding the headache; a straight identity is not readily available, or deducible. The headache itself is part of your self-experience, or, put simpler, just part of yourself — bound by (ontological) self-identity, like self-reference, regardless of any scans or whatever else. Others cannot have your headaches (identity), but others can check out the scans (non-identity).
  • Amity
    We'll be setting up a thread here on the forum for artistic work, and we don't intend to publish poems or stories on the Articles site, at least to begin with. Our vision is of a philosophical journal tackling issues in academic philosophy, but one that is accessible to educated lay-people and sometimes relevant to topical concerns. If we do decide to publish poetry or stories in the future it will be in the context of a site that has built up a solid archive of substantial philosophical articles.

As for length, between around 2000 and 5000 words is good, but that won't be strict: the first article, published two days ago, is over 6000 words, and I can imagine shorter pieces being sometimes suitable too.
    jamalrob

So what happened ?
    I have more questions about this, here:

https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/4858/critical-thinking-and-creativity-reading-and-writing

' This forum might be a good place to start developing writing skills in argument.
    Here's an example. It also reconstructs arguments in to logical structure. Premises and Conclusions.
    How great is that !?

http://articles.thephilosophyforum.com/the-argument-for-indirect-realism

How interesting would it be to ask the author about the whole philosophical process.
    From initial idea, reading, note taking to end product.'

----------

Understanding the whole process would be invaluable.
    We have book discussions regarding interpretation and understanding what we have read. The content.
    Why not conversations On Writing ?

I would be interested to hear about how we progress from critical reading, thinking to creatively writing.
    Including the practical aspects of note-taking. How do writers tackle writing articles such as the above ?

Is there a reason why there aren't more articles ?
    Any authors who would care to share the process so that others might try....'
  • god must be atheist
    I have an article to publish. Is this still a going concern? Curious.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.