• Jamal
    Everyone,

We are now seeking submissions of original philosophical articles for publication on our articles site. You can post your submission by sending a private message to one of the editors, and you can include the article as an attachment or as text. If you prefer, you can post your article in this thread as an attachment.

The articles should be of high quality and should be written for a general educated readership. If the topic discussed requires specialized knowledge, we expect a basic introduction in the article. All academic and topical articles will be considered as long as they contain philosophical content. All submissions will be reviewed by our editorial staff.

We look forward to receiving your submissions!

Editors:
    @Hanover, @jamalrob, @Baden, @Michael, @Benkei
  • Agustino
    Hi jamalrob,

Is it only articles you're looking to publish? How about philosophical poems, short stories, dialogues, etc? Would things like that also be acceptable?

For the articles, do you have any parameters in terms of length, structure, and so forth that you're looking for? Thanks!
  • Jamal
    Hi @Agustino

We'll be setting up a thread here on the forum for artistic work, and we don't intend to publish poems or stories on the Articles site, at least to begin with. Our vision is of a philosophical journal tackling issues in academic philosophy, but one that is accessible to educated lay-people and sometimes relevant to topical concerns. If we do decide to publish poetry or stories in the future it will be in the context of a site that has built up a solid archive of substantial philosophical articles.

As for length, between around 2000 and 5000 words is good, but that won't be strict: the first article, published two days ago, is over 6000 words, and I can imagine shorter pieces being sometimes suitable too.
  • _db
    Hi . I'm currently working on a quasi-serious philosophical article concerning the philosophies surrounding the Force in the Star Wars universe. Is it cool if I submit it here once I am done?
  • Jamal
    You're welcome to submit it darth.
  • jorndoe
    Too quiet here.

Some time ago (must be over a year) I typed "Yet another mind-body hypothesis" in.
    Not really sure if it's appropriate as an article here (might need a cleanup for one), but there is material for discussion (and it has pictures :)).
    I suppose the gist of it is that, regardless of realism idealism substance-dualism physicalism panpsychism whatever, some of these problems may be inherently intractable, and so accounting for them seems more fruitful than trying to explain them away.

Suppose you've gotten yourself a headache. No aspirin at hand. Instead you go scan yourself, fMRI or whatever the latest may be, doesn't really matter. You now have two different angles, the experience of the ache, and a visual overview of your gray matter (need not be visual alone). If only the angles differ, in an ontological sense, then what makes them different? (Does anyone really doubt that feeling hungry (usually) means the body needs replenishment?) Understanding the scan, in this context, would converge on understanding the headache; a straight identity is not readily available, or deducible. The headache itself is part of your self-experience, or, put simpler, just part of yourself — bound by (ontological) self-identity, like self-reference, regardless of any scans or whatever else. Others cannot have your headaches (identity), but others can check out the scans (non-identity).
  • Amity
    We'll be setting up a thread here on the forum for artistic work, and we don't intend to publish poems or stories on the Articles site, at least to begin with. Our vision is of a philosophical journal tackling issues in academic philosophy, but one that is accessible to educated lay-people and sometimes relevant to topical concerns. If we do decide to publish poetry or stories in the future it will be in the context of a site that has built up a solid archive of substantial philosophical articles.

As for length, between around 2000 and 5000 words is good, but that won't be strict: the first article, published two days ago, is over 6000 words, and I can imagine shorter pieces being sometimes suitable too.
    jamalrob

So what happened ?
    I have more questions about this, here:

https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/4858/critical-thinking-and-creativity-reading-and-writing

' This forum might be a good place to start developing writing skills in argument.
    Here's an example. It also reconstructs arguments in to logical structure. Premises and Conclusions.
    How great is that !?

http://articles.thephilosophyforum.com/the-argument-for-indirect-realism

How interesting would it be to ask the author about the whole philosophical process.
    From initial idea, reading, note taking to end product.'

----------

Understanding the whole process would be invaluable.
    We have book discussions regarding interpretation and understanding what we have read. The content.
    Why not conversations On Writing ?

I would be interested to hear about how we progress from critical reading, thinking to creatively writing.
    Including the practical aspects of note-taking. How do writers tackle writing articles such as the above ?

Is there a reason why there aren't more articles ?
    Any authors who would care to share the process so that others might try....'
  • god must be atheist
    I have an article to publish. Is this still a going concern? Curious.
  • Seremonia
    I have articles from my blog, it''s worth to share, in the sense that we may expand our understanding to others. Can i ?
  • Seremonia
    It's about problem of evil and many more :smile:
  • Baden

We're seeking submissions of original articles you can PM to us for consideration. Please do not submit anything published elsewhere.
  • Greylorn Ell
    Who retains copyrights to material submitted via article form?

Moreover, what about rights to ideas conveyed via normal forum conversations?

Greylorn
  • Hanover
    Who retains copyrights to material submitted via article form?Greylorn Ell

The terms and conditions of this site are described here: https://thephilosophyforum.com/page/terms-of-service

I don't think we can offer you more by way of a legal opinion that you could rely upon.
  • Amity

I found a similar idea, as a learning resource, here:
    https://1000wordphilosophy.com/about/

'1000-Word Philosophy: An Introductory Anthology is a constantly-growing collection of original essays on important philosophical topics. These essays are introductions rather than argumentative articles. Each essay is as close to 1000 words (while never going over!) as the author can get it. A 1000-word essay takes between five and ten minutes to read.'

Copyright issues are made clear:

'All essays are original contributions to 1000-Word Philosophy and are published with permission from the authors, unless otherwise noted. Contributing authors retain any and all copyright interests in their individual works. 1000-Word Philosophy holds copyright to the collective work. Please do not reproduce this work in part or in full without appropriate attribution.'

Can something similar not be done here ?
  • Baden
    Can something similar not be done here ?Amity

You mean in terms of the making the copyright clear? I imagine so. We'll need to look into it as we develop the article section, which has just recently been put back up. Cheers. :up:
  • Amity
    To reiterate:
    These essays are introductions rather than argumentative articles. Each essay is as close to 1000 words (while never going over!) as the author can get it.Amity

Can something similar not be done here ?

You mean in terms of the making the copyright clear? I imagine so. We'll need to look into it as we develop the article section, which has just recently been put back up.Baden

No. Not just the clarity on copyright. It elaborates on why people might want to contribute; it motivates.
    It discusses acceptance rates, style and more. See 'Submissions':
    https://1000wordphilosophy.com/submissions/

We strive to publish essays that are radically concise, extremely clear, well-organized and inviting. Each serves as an ideal introduction to the problem, question, issue or figure. Essays should be clear and understandable to readers with little to no philosophical background. We hope the essays serve as a springboard for informed discussion and debate and a basis for further learning on the topics...

...If you are interested in developing ideal, high-impact materials for both teaching and public philosophy, then 1000-Word Philosophy is for you.

I think the inclusion of essays as an 'ideal introduction' for beginners would be welcome on TPF.

I wish you and the team well with your continuing efforts:

Our vision is of a philosophical journal tackling issues in academic philosophy, but one that is accessible to educated lay-people and sometimes relevant to topical concerns.jamalrob

[ Request to mods: please remove the thread I started:
    https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/8327/on-the-articles-section . No need to double up, thanks ! ]
  • Jamal

I can make a change to the template so that the copyright on articles shows the author instead of The Philosophy Forum as it does now. I'm not sure what else we can do regarding copyright.

1000wordphilosophy.com looks great, but personally I don't think we need to restrict articles to 1000 words.
  • Amity
    personally I don't think we need to restrict articles to 1000 words.jamalrob

I agree.
    Just as you said:

between around 2000 and 5000 words is good, but that won't be strict: the first article, published two days ago, is over 6000 words, and I can imagine shorter pieces being sometimes suitable too.jamalrob
  • SophistiCat
    Can something similar not be done here ?Amity

I think the inclusion of essays as an 'ideal introduction' for beginners would be welcome on TPF.Amity

Why? If you like the 1000wordphilosophy project, why not just put a link in Resources section? What would be the point of attempting to reproduce the same thing here?

Besides, I think you vastly overestimate our resources. 1000wordphilosophy apparently solicits their articles from professional philosophers. There are hardly any professionals participating on this forum.
  • Amity
    If you like the 1000wordphilosophy project, why not just put a link in Resources section? What would be the point of attempting to reproduce the same thing here?SophistiCat

Yes. I could and might still link it there.
    It wasn't about reproducing it here but as an additional initiative or component to the Articles section.

I think you vastly overestimate our resources.SophistiCat

Quite possibly but then again it is the Articles section calling for more indepth stuff.
  • Gus Lamarch
    As for length, between around 2000 and 5000 words is good, but that won't be strict: the first article, published two days ago, is over 6000 wordsjamalrob

What if one of my articles is more or less 35000 words long? XD
  • Jamal
    That's very long.
  • Gus Lamarch

Should I reduce it to what? 10000 is enough?
  • Jamal
    That might work. You're welcome to send it in for us to see it.
  • Nuke
    The more intelligent and insightful an article, the smaller the audience.
  • charles ferraro
    How is it possible that for all the time the Philosophy Forum has been in existence only the articles by Jamalrob and Lamarch have been deemed worthy to be posted???? This defies common sense!!!!!!
    I thought only Twitter and Facebook engaged in this kind of censorship!!!! Why not post all articles and let the readers rate their worth????
  • charles ferraro

The more it is denied any audience!!!!
  • Gus Lamarch
    How is it possible that for all the time the Philosophy Forum has been in existence only the articles by Jamalrob and Lamarch have been deemed worthy to be posted????charles ferraro

DISCLAIMER:

I only submited my article for publication, but the editors still have not contacted me about it, even though, I said - to them - that even if it wasn't approved, I would like a response.
  • Jamal
    I didn't even know you had sent it. In our private conversation, you just went silent, giving no indication of what you were going to do, and I rarely check . I've posted it in the editors' private area, so maybe someone will read it now. Thanks for the contribution.
  • Jamal
    There have been very few submissions. Maybe just one or two aside from my own, and they were not what we're looking for. I'm as surprised about this as you are. I suppose that those who are able to write good articles would rather publish them elsewhere.
  • Gus Lamarch
    I didn't even know you had sent it. In our private conversation, you just went silent, giving no indication of what you were going to do, and I rarely check .jamalrob

I thought you didn't take my article proposal seriously and so I just decided to send it to the e-mail address that you gave me. If there was any misunderstanding, I apologize.

I've posted it in the editors' private area, so maybe someone will read it now. Thanks for the contribution.jamalrob

Thank you. :smile:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet