• TheMadFool
    I find this world enough of a pain. What horrors lie in wait for us in the "spiritual" dimension?

Jokes aside I think there is a spiritual dimension and people live in it and lead quite satisfactory lives until they meet just that someone who'll break that world into a million pieces.

Minds, in my view, inhabit a world in itself, separated from the physical and is itself subdivided into different worldviews, one of which is spiritualism. However I don't think the mind can detach from the physical and live exclusively in the spiritual dimension a la soul.
  • deletedusercb
    Whenever I dream it is always of something that I could conceive of while conscious, or something derived from my past experiences.Marc
    I think that verb 'could' is very problematic. I often have dreams that include content I could not have made in waking life. Where I am talking to someone who is a bit like three different people in my life but not quite any of them. In a room that is a body of water but also somehow at the same time a school I went to.

Now that I have described a recent dream, a bit abstractly, and thought about it. I could try to think about something like that. Try to combine a few different people and imagine a conversation with that composite, while in that composite environment and as a person not quite like my wakign self experiencing this. I could try to do that. I don't think I have the skill to end up with that even already knowing what it was like.

You are focused on nouns. And most of my dream objects and entities are nouns I am aware of in every day life, However some are not even that. They are composites or things that make no sense on waking. There are landscapes that make no sense and have no real life correlates.
  • Marc
    These dreams your describing are all of the material world and derived from past experiences (someone a bit like three different people = three people you knew, body of water = part of nature, landscape that makes no sense = landscapes are characteristic of the real world).

The hallucination while on DMT is fundamentally different. Experiencing the spirit leave your body and enter a strange 'spiritual dimension' is completely inconceivable. No past experience I've had correlates with that at all.
  • armonie
    たひとつに決
  • deletedusercb
    I was mainly responding to the idea that I 'could conceive them in waking life'. That's not true for many of my dreams. I simply cannot do those kinds of conceptual blendings intentionally and when I awake I cannot really see what I saw in the dream. I just sort of know that the house was sort of a body of water and it made sense in the dream.

But even going beyond that: I have had dreams that were sort of two dimensional visually, but with the sense that the patterns I was looking at were beings, but not like beings in this universe. There were feelings - unpleasant in the specific one I am thinking of that I had semi-regularly when I was younger. I I did make a couple of descriptive statements here, ones that gesture to what I experienced, but that's as far as I can go.

Most of my dreams I can give more description, like I did for dreams that while I cannot create them in waking life, I can describe to some degree. But now and then I have experiences in dreaming sleep that are not describable.
  • OmniscientNihilist

real life is a hallucination. but the mind has no other reality to compare it to that is more real in order to call this reality unreal. in fact the only other reality the mind has is itself, which it can see is less real.

and this hallucination has reliability, so the mind can use it to avoid pain and attain pleasure. which is all it really cares about.

so it calls this hallucination real

if you were born with a VR helmet on and everytime you ate something in the VR i put food in your real mouth then that would become your reality which you would argue is real.

even if pain was an illusion people would still avoid it. so its real enough.

three things can be said about this reality:
    1- its the realest thing i got
    2- its reliable
    3- its real enough
  • armonie
    さを伴う作業
  • BrianW
    real life is a hallucination. but the mind has no other reality to compare it to that is more real in order to call this reality unreal.OmniscientNihilist

Real life can't be a hallucination if there isn't anything else more real to compare with. A hallucination implies it is less real than something else.

Personally, life is real. Mental images and events are real because the mind or brain is real. It is the same with a storybook, the book is real and the story is real too. The story can only be fiction in relation to what we call factual records, otherwise it is real because it exists.
  • OmniscientNihilist
    Mental images and events are real because the mind or brain is realBrianW

the brain is in the mind

it is real because it exists.BrianW

and yes the mind is real because it exists

Row, row, row your boat
    Gently down the stream
    Merrily merrily, merrily, merrily
    Life is but a dream
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.