• Sir2u
    This should be nominated for "Best Thread of the Year" :rofl:

But I would side with Baden on this. (Not that it means much)

I do little topic starting because, as Baden says, it takes a little effort. And I don't always have the time to create and manage them. I have been working on one for the past year almost and I hope I might finish it in December, if I can remember where I put it and what it is about.

Wallows, do as Baden says and think some more about it. Not wallow in misery about it.
    I have faith in your ability to produce something good from this. After all, I think you are the first to come up with this idea.
  • Sir2u
    By the way, does the pizza place do delivery down here in Central America? I have eaten lamb pizza but never goat. :wink:
  • Banno
    Descriptors can attain the status of rigid designators.Wallows

Not so much.
  • Banno
    Dude, all your Pizzas are goat.
  • Shawn
    @Baden, @Banno this is the best I could do, take it or leave it:

Statements are combinations of nouns and verbs and such as; Some statements are either true or false, and we can call these propositions. So, "The present king of France is bald" is a statement, but not a proposition.

--Please explain to us, what excludes “The present king of France is bald” from the qualifier of being a proposition?

Beliefs range over propositions. (arguably, they might be made to range over statements: Fred believes the present king of France is bald.)

--Yet, the domain or the domain of discourse (wiki it) of propositions that are sensical, as opposed to the nonsense Fred may belief, remains the same, so Fred doesn’t need to take his meds, or does he?

Beliefs set out a relation of a particular sort between an agent and a proposition.

--This isn’t clear. It seems your advocating either a correspondence theory between an agent and a proposition or rather a belief that obtains. Yet, Fred denies this by maintaining that the present King of France is bald. For all I know, this may be true in a possible world. Perhaps, you are implying a T-schema that obtains iff we compare it to our world.

This relation is such that if the agent acts in some way then there is a belief and a desire that together are sufficient to explain the agent's action. Banno wants water; he believes he can pour a glass from the tap; so he goes to the tap to pour a glass of water.

--This is very behaviorist and quite outdated. Rather, I posit that propositional attitudes, such as Banno wants water, are determined by not belief or desire, but a volition.

The logical problem here, the philosophical interesting side issue, is that beliefs overdetermine our actions. There are other beliefs and desires that could explain my going to the tap.

--No, disagreement; but, this is too simple. A volition is something that determines action, and beliefs need not even be mentioned here.

We know some statements when at the least we believe it, it fits in with our other beliefs, and when it is true.

--This is too simple. Take your famous example of the Romantic that proclaims his love as being greater than words can say. How does this statement jive with truth aptness?

The "fits in with other beliefs" is the first approximation for a justification. Something stronger is needed, but material implication will not do.

--Please elaborate.

Discard Gettier. The definition is not hard-and-fast.

It does not make sense to ask if we know X to be true; that's exactly the same as asking if we know X. The "we only know it if it is true" bit is only there because we can't know things that are false.

--I beg to differ, the principle of bipolarity, assumes that every utterance that is truth-apt can be either true or false. Wittgenstein would know.

If you cannot provide a justification, that is, if you cannot provide other beliefs with which a given statement coheres, then you cannot be said to know it.

--This is not true or rather how can it be true. In other words, what kind of justification is required here? E.g. the Romantic, who professes his love, has overdetermined justification in his love towards his partner by encompassing the entire domain of discourse with his statement about his love towards her being greater than what words can say. Instead, I advocate a pragmatic account of a man who is acting, not following a pattern or set of rules. Again, volitions creep up here.

A belief that is not subject to doubt is a certainty.

--The solipsist of the Tractatus agrees.

Without a difference between belief and truth, we can't be wrong; if we can't be wrong, we can't fix our mistakes; without being able to fix our mistakes, we can't make things better

--Again, Banno, what theory of truth are you advocating here? I am quite interested in knowing this. It would seem to me that Davidson and Tarski were bedfellows.
  • frank
    I'll do it.
  • Baden

Well, you did a better job. I'm not sure that will please @Wallows, but no doubt we'll find out.
  • frank
    Probably not. Oh well.
  • Sir2u
    Apart from the obvious fact that everything is goat , even lamb and pepperoni, I cannot think of any reason why it would be impossible to order a pizza that is not only all goat but that actually contains eatable goat. :chin:
  • Banno
    Lamb and pepperoni? I'd go lamb and olives; maybe with a Tzatziki \..
  • Banno
    ...and lots of lemon. Maybe a few pieces of eggplant roasted on top. Sprinkled with oregano.
  • Shawn

Thank you.
  • Sir2u
    Lamb is not really a meat that I enjoy "spiced up", but with pepperoni as a contrasting element it works well. Charcoal broiled lamb with lemon and white pepper is OK, but not with chillipepper.

I have never tried eggplant on pizza, but I did try pizza made from bread fruit plant once. I have been trying to find the time to try making it myself one day because it was good.
  • Banno
    After this conversation I bough a small rolled rump, roasted it with lemon and then sliced it onto flatbread, with humus, roast eggplant, tomatoes, olives, more lemon and various greens.

Lamb is a far more tasty meat than beef.
  • Sir2u
    Damn, now I am hungry again and its bed time.

That is why I think that lamb does not need to be spiced up, accompanied by a few things to contrast and highlight the flavor yes, but not over spiced up so that the flavor is corrupted(maybe that should be perverted).
  • Banno
    Masbe. I do like beef curry. But Moroccan lamb is brilliant, and its spicy. And Roganjosh is only for lamb or goat.
  • Shawn
    Hungry... Mmm, I am poor and enjoy the occasional goat pizza.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.