• Pfhorrest
    I thought I would change my profile pic here from my general personal logo to the logo of my philosophy book, but upon changing it I'm not sure which is better. Any opinions?

For comparison, my personal logo:
    logo.png

And the Codex Quarentis logo:
    codex.png
    1. Which do you prefer? (7 votes)
        Personal logo
        86%
        Codex logo
        14%
  • Frank Apisa
    Your personal logo, in my opinion, is much classier and appealing.
  • Changeling
    Combine them
  • 180 Proof
    Personal logo for your profile. Codex logo for your book.
  • Pfhorrest
    Consensus seems to be leaning strongly toward personal logo, so I've changed it back for now. Thanks everyone for the feedback.
  • praxis
    Utilizing a logo is an aspect of branding, which is a form of promotion. So the question appears to be:

Should I promote my book or myself on this forum?

That depends on what your goals are and whatever strategy you may have developed for achieving those goals. I would guess that you're at least mostly interested in promoting your book and haven't really put much thought into a plan for doing that, or perhaps even a firm end-goal. Of course, a common approach is to use a personal brand to promote a book, in which case you might want to reconsider branding the book itself, with a logo and whatever else.

Note that an essential quality of branding is that it should be as meaningful as possible to whomever you're trying to promote it to. I find the book branding to be meaningless, if not plain false. The "book of questions" is really a book of your views or a 'book of answers'.

Your personal logo gives me the impression that you value nature.
  • Pfhorrest
    I'm not trying to promote anything here, I'm just wondering if using an image associated with my philosophy might be more appropriate for my account on a philosophy forum than an image that's not philosophically relevant at all, just what I use everywhere else.

"Book of questions" is more like "book about inquiry" than "book containing a bunch of questions", BTW. I specifically changed it to that way to get away from the connotations of an earlier title that was meant to be "book about wisdom" (as wisdom is the topic of philosophy) but could be misinterpreted as "book containing wisdom" Success at inquiry is what wisdom is all about.
  • praxis
    I'm not trying to promote anything herePfhorrest

Of course you are. Your personal logo, for instance, gives the impression (to me at least) that you value nature, and in effect promotes that value.

You might say that you’re not deliberately or consciously branding. If so, it’s kind of funny that you’re using a method of deliberate branding (logo design) so casually. Not to suggest that there’s anything wrong with that, other than possibly being blind to ones own motivations to some degree.

Speaking of wisdom, the maxim gnothi seauton comes to mind.
  • Pfhorrest
    I’m a graphic designer for a living. I like logos for themselves, little graphical encapsulations of things. What are user avatars at all if not that same thing, an icon, a little graphic, to represent you? I just like to make mine rather than find them. If you want to call that “branding” when it has nothing to do with any kind of commercial activity, that’s your business.
  • praxis
    As I said from the start, branding is a form of promotion. Promotion isn’t necessarily commercial, obviously.
  • Sir2u
    What are user avatars at all if not that same thing, an icon, a little graphic, to represent you?Pfhorrest

Ain't that the truth mate.

But what does mine say about me?
  • Pfhorrest
    I like your logo! It looks amazing!CraigAten

Thank you very much! Though I'm not sure how this ancient thread came to your attention. :)

what does mine say about me?Sir2u

I don't know.

Sorry, I meant: "I don't know."

I.e. it says that you don't know; that you question.

;)
  • Agent Smith
    The JWST mirror bears a striking resemblance to the OP's codex logo (hexagons).
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.