• TheMadFool
    As a young student I greatly admired Albert Einstein. I even had a favorite T-shirt with the famous equation E = mc^2. Of course I didn't understand the theory of relativity or any other highfalutin science stuff but the admiration was/is still there. I mean the ability to coax out a beautiful mathematical formula from the tangled maze of reality must surely be the work of true genius.

As a teenager, my brain was in my penis (it still is I think), I also looked at a video of an atomic explosion and was in complete awe of the "beautiful" trademark mushroom cloud.

Now, I'm older and beginning to think that the atomic bomb, in all its variations, is actually a major, if not the greatest, threat to not only human existence but to all life on earth.

I still admire Einstein (a lot) but what he's done is expressd so eloquently in the following quote:

Now I'm become death, destroyer of worlds — Oppenheimer(father of the atomic bomb)

Do you also admire someone whose work has led to the creation of instruments of global annihilation?

Actually, Einstein regretted the atomic bomb and I believe he was advocating banning such weapons. So, that's the silver lining for me.
  • Wayfarer
    In Isaacson’s bio of Einstein, the way the story is told is that a grad student approached Einstein after he gave a talk and told him his theory led to the development of weapons of immense destructive power. Einstein didn’t understand this and thought the student a crank. It wasn’t until years later that it became clear this student was correct - and Einstein bitterly regretted it, as you say. He was appalled by it. He and Bertrand Russell drafted the Russell-Einstein manifesto, and from memory, Russell was literally arrested protesting against atomic weapons (which is one of the reasons Russell is forever on my Good Guys list.)

What can you do? Knowledge is forever a two-edged sword, the more we know, the more we can use it for either good or evil. There are many stories in Greek mythology about this very fact. The Myth of Prometheus who stole fire from the Gods springs to mind. I don’t think Einstein had a malicious bone in his body, the discovery of atomic weapons caused him enormous grief, but I think he would see it as an unintended consequence of his discoveries.
  • Wayfarer
    And actually I think the Oppenheimer quote made reference to Siva, which ought not to be left out.
  • TheMadFool
    Knowledge is forever a two-edged swordWayfarer

I agree. Reminds me of Cardinal Richelieu.

Qu'on me donne six lignes écrites de la main du plus honnête homme, j'y trouverai de quoi le faire pendre. — Cardinal Richelieu

which translates as:

If you give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest of men, I will find something in them which will hang him. — Cardinal Richelieu

This is why consequentialism as a moral theory sucks. We may have some idea about immediate consequences but be shocked about what happens further down the causal chain.
  • fdrake
    To understand a thing is to know the manner by which it might be destroyed. A fundamental understanding of the basic building-blocks of the Universe is essential, then, to the total destruction of everything.
  • JosephS
    He and Bertrand Russell drafted the Russell-Einstein manifesto, and from memory, Russell was literally arrested protesting against atomic weapons (which is one of the reasons Russell is forever on my Good Guys list.)Wayfarer

And yet Russell and von Neumann both advocated for a pre-emptive nuclear strike against the Soviet Union.

If the whole world outside of Russia were to insist upon international control
    of atomic energy to the point of going to war on this issue, it is highly
    probable that the Soviet government would give way (...). If it did not, then if
    the issue were forced in the next year or two, only one side would have
    atomic bombs, and the war might be so short as not to involve utter ruin
    — Russell, 1947

I should like to see (…) as close a union as possible of these countries who
    think it is worthwhile to avoid atomic war. I think that you could get so
    powerful an alliance that you could turn to Russia and say: ‘It is open to you
    to join this alliance if you will agree to the terms; if you will not join we shall
    go to war with you’. I am inclined to think that Russia would acquiesce; if
    not, provided this is done soon, the world might survive the resulting war
    and emerge with a single government such as the world needs”.
    — Russell, 1947

Russells Advocacy
  • TheMadFool
    To understand a thing is to know the manner by which it might be destroyed. A fundamental understanding of the basic building-blocks of the Universe is essential, then, to the total destruction of everything.

How true. It seems creation and destruction are dancing together and the universe reflects their moves; tears and smiles, spring and winter.
  • Wayfarer
    And yet Russell and von Neumann both advocated for a pre-emptive nuclear strike against the Soviet Union.JosephS

I didn’t know that, but then, at the time, Stalin appeared almost as threatening as Hitler had been. It was the Cold War, and there is a sense of desperation in Russell’s words; contemplation of a world in which those who had control of such power could control absolutely everything.
  • Wayfarer
    And I’m no Russell fanboy, I disagree with his philosophical outlook in almost all respects. But I still honour him as a teacher, and admire him for joining demonstrations.
  • TheMadFool
    And yet Russell and von Neumann both advocated for a pre-emptive nuclear strike against the Soviet UnionJosephS

That's one of those times when someone is so intelligent that they sound stupid. The converse may be true on other occasions. Humanity, it seems, is at the mercy of the bungling idiot and the mad scientist.
  • Galuchat
    I don’t think Einstein had a malicious bone in his body, the discovery of atomic weapons caused him enormous grief, but I think he would see it as an unintended consequence of his discoveries.Wayfarer

This is funny for two reasons:
    1) Einstein and Szilard wrote FDR, recommending nuclear weapons research.
    2) As a consequence, the atomic bomb was engineered (not discovered).
  • TheMadFool
    This is funny for two reasons:
    1) Einstein and Szilard wrote FDR, recommending nuclear weapons research.
    2) As a consequence, the atomic bomb was engineered (not discovered).
    Galuchat

Oh! :sad:

Einstein!!!!! :angry:
  • JosephS
    That's one of those times when someone is so intelligent that they sound stupid. The converse may be true on other occasions. Humanity, it seems, is at the mercy of the bungling idiot and the mad scientist.TheMadFool

And I’m no Russell fanboy, I disagree with his philosophical outlook in almost all respects. But I still honour him as a teacher, and admire him for joining demonstrations.Wayfarer

I came across Russell in this regard via von Neumann who I had been reading on with respect to the development of the von Neumann machine (Hungarians, including von Neumann and Erdos, are the closest things to aliens that I have encountered, brilliance -- clear in its display but inscrutable in its breadth and genesis -- I wonder if this doesn't have at least a little to do with their native tongue).

I knew of Russell as a philosopher and a pacifist, but nothing beyond that (my library on Russell is limited to 'Why I Am Not a Christian'). When I found von Neumann had advocated a first strike it was shocking, but not entirely surprising, if that makes sense. However, when I read Russell's name at the same time, it floored me. My comments aren't a criticism of Russell. They are reflective of a spike in curiosity as to how a pacifist can simultaneously hold that unleashing an unprovoked! nuclear holocaust can be justified. That's just goddamned interesting.

If you say why not bomb them tomorrow, I say why not today? If you say today at 5 o’clock, I say why not one o’clock? — von Neumann

To von Neumann's question at the time I developed an appreciation for the good side of self-doubt and dithering. Non-action because you just don't trust that you are smart enough to have considered the action sufficiently. Perhaps having people at the button that are smart enough to know they aren't smart enough is a good thing.
  • NOS4A2

There is an argument that the atom bomb, and the very idea of mutual annihilation, has led to what is known as The Long Peace, where there is a relative peace between major powers for the first time since the Roman Empire,
  • TheMadFool
    There is an argument that the atom bomb, and the very idea of mutual annihilation, has led to what is known as The Long Peace, where there is a relative peace between major powers for the first time since the Roman Empire,NOS4A2

That's something I hadn't thought about and again consequentialism sucks. Thanks.

However, that's not real peace. Would pointing guns each other like in western movies, each waiting for the other guy to make the first move, count as peace?

Mexican_Standoff.jpg
  • Janus
    As a teenager, my brain was in my penis (it still is I think), I also looked at a video of an atomic explosion and was in complete awe of the "beautiful" trademark mushroom cloud.TheMadFool

From mushroom to mushroom then?

Considering the 'mutually assured destruction" scenario, I think the threat of nuclear weapons being deployed is not so great. A greater threat is that in the event of a major civilizational collapse all the nuclear plants around the world would need to be decommissioned if they could no longer be ongoingly attended, otherwise they would likely meltdown
  • TheMadFool
    mutually assured destructionJanus

Yes, that's the Mexican Standoff I was talking about. What I think is that the means available to maintain peace suits the circumstances of the people/countries involved. The world maintains peace in a Mexican standoff between the superpowers. Europe maintains peace in a more mature manner.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.