• Shawn
    As a sentiment perhaps. But willpower isn't a scientifically admissible cause of human action. Rather, willpower is the force one exerts in the pursuit of an incentive. Depressives most often lack the latter, rather than the former.sime

So, you are equating the two here? If so, then what does that mean?
  • Alan
    @Wallows, I have no idea of what you're going through. I don't know how I could even cope with suicidal thoughts myself. One thing is certain, nonetheless, I deeply wish you make it through, I really do. It sounds weird but posts like these were someone struggles hard to hold on to life inspire me to keep going. I try to learn as much as I can from lives that are harder than mine, just like yours. You feel you have accomplished nothing, well, achievements can be more subtle. I consider inspiring me with your strength to live one more day such an achievement and in the same way I think you can inspire others.
  • sime
    So, you are equating the two here? If so, then what does that mean?Wallows

I'm saying 'will-power' should be considered as referring to the expression of motivation, but not the cause of motivation. For behaviour is goal-driven, and the causes of motivation are incentives.

Unfortunately, society has a habit of referring to motivated people as being 'self motivated', which is illogical and leads to the social stigmatization and neglect of depressed people, who often depend on society to provide them with meaningful incentives.
  • Shawn

Thanks Alan, I try.
  • Shawn
    I'm saying 'will-power' should be considered as referring to the expression of motivation, but not the cause of motivation. For behaviour is goal-driven, and the causes of motivation are incentives.sime

That sounds awfully behaviorist.

Unfortunately, society has a habit of referring to motivated people as being 'self motivated', which is illogical and leads to the social stigmatization and neglect of depressed people, who often depend on society to provide them with meaningful incentives.sime

I don't quite think this is right. How would you explain the clinical symptom of anhedonia?
  • sime
    I don't quite think this is right. How would you explain the clinical symptom of anhedonia?Wallows

While there are undoubtedly neurological correlates of depression, i think that in many cases they are likely to be the product of the brain's normally functioning neuro-plasticity, where the brain has responded in an expected and predictable fashion to long-term repeated stressors in a hostile or unrewarding environment. This will be the case if a person's anhedonia is sufficiently improved by having his actual psychological needs fulfilled.

Unfortunately, psychiatrists and GPs don't normally have the resources to test this hypothesis, whilst society is eager to blame the biology of depressives in order to let itself of the hook, thereby preventing wealth redistribution.
  • AKUNAMATATA
    Why do you have suicidal thought?
    I'd like to hear a straight answer, why, what exactly is bothering you, what is the very source of the suicidal thoughts?
  • god must be atheist
    In my town there is a placard hung in obvious wall-spaces in emergency departments and in other crisis centres:
    "Thinking about committing suicide? We can help." And a contact phone number.

I am not making this up.
  • christian2017

I've had a similar experience. You don't have to commit suicide to get killed. Find a country that you disagree with their view points and go there an make the wrong people angry. If this seems too negative then volunteer your time to this or that or some cause. Your right, your mother would be very upset if you commited suicide. i wouldn't wish suicide on hitler, and i certainly wouldn't wish it on someone like you. The only reason i don't smoke cigarretes is because i can't afford them right now. There are plenty of people out there worse than you. I struggle with guilt and so do alot of people with depression. I take comfort that people get killed everyday and i could be next. Try to enjoy life buddy and don't upset your Mother.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.