• John Pingo
    Are there writers who have written on the subject of sexuality from a philosophical and psychoanalytic perspective?

• Wayfarer
    I studied Freud's essays on culture and civilization as an undergraduate, such as Civilisation and its Discontents. But there's a lot of literature published on these matters.
  • GrreAccepted Answer
    Foucault!

Or from a feminist perspective read Andrea Dworkins (she writes about the inherent coercion involved in heterosexual sex), Promiscuities and Vagina, A New Biography by Naomi Wolf discuss harmful cultural associations regarding sex and female sexuality, including how this affects sexual development. The Purity Myth is another powerful book which talks about the fiction and cultural norms regarding the sacredness of sex and virginity-a tool used to further oppress and legitimize control over women's bodies. There's probably a ton more feminist theorists that I cannot think of off the top of my head (largely writers writing from the 70s-contemporary times though). I might think of more.
  • Streetlight
    Some favourites (psychoanalytically inclined):

Alenka Zupancic - What is Sex?
    Paul Verhaeghe - Does the Woman Exist?
    Mari Ruti - The Ethics of Opting Out: Queer Theory's Defiant Subjects
  • Heracloitus
    Emily Apter - Continental Drift: From National Characters to Virtual Subjects

Emily Apter - Feminizing the Fetish: Psychoanalysis and Narrative Obsession in Turn-of-the-century France
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.