• OpinionsMatter
    We all know about those Jehovah witnesses, not to mention the church groups and rabbis, all these people are continuously trying to share their 'faith'. But all though an atheist doesn't have a faith or belief, besides that they believe there isn't a God(Which may or may not be true) do they evangelize when they are persuading others to believe as well? Or do we need a new word to describe this act, as in 'anti-evangelism' or something along those lines? By calling those people evangelists are we offending them? If somebody, (as myself) is sitting on the fence, where do we stand between both of these interesting positions? Do we need a new word to describe us as well?
  • T Clark
    We all know about those Jehovah witnesses, not to mention the church groups and rabbis, all these people are continuously trying to share their 'faith'. But all though an atheist doesn't have a faith or belief, besides that they believe there isn't a God(Which may or may not be true) do they evangelize when they are persuading others to believe as well? Or do we need a new word to describe this act, as in 'anti-evangelism' or something along those lines? By calling those people evangelists are we offending them? If somebody, (as myself) is sitting on the fence, where do we stand between both of these interesting positions? Do we need a new word to describe us as well?OpnionsMatter

Not to be too nit-picky, but I think "evangelize" refers specifically to spreading the Christian gospel. Atheists certainly can, and do, try to spread their own beliefs. How about "proselytize."

I don't think Jews are supposed to spread their own beliefs to non-Jews.
  • OpinionsMatter

Sure, that was some great thought. I just wonder, do we offend an atheist by calling them an evangelist? Also, the technical definition of evangelize is: to convert or seek to convert (someone) to Christianity. But a synonym of this word happens to be proselytize. So what do we make of this?
  • hachit
    To evaglies is to spread a fath. Atheism is the faith there is no God, god or gods. So of course they can.
  • T Clark
    Sure, that was some great thought. I just wonder, do we offend an atheist by calling them an evangelist? Also, the technical definition of evangelize is: to convert or seek to convert (someone) to Christianity. But a synonym of this word happens to be proselytize. So what do we make of this?OpnionsMatter

I'm sure a lot of atheists wouldn't like either "evangelize" or "proselytize."

I believe "proselytize" can be used to apply to any belief or proposed action, not just religious ones.
  • OpinionsMatter
    There's not much more to write, seen as you've answered my questions, but what made you draw this conclusion:
    I'm sure a lot of atheists wouldn't like either "evangelize" or "proselytize."T Clark

How do you speak for so many individuals?
  • OpinionsMatter

The common definition of evangelize is to spread Christianity, not faith. But do you consider the word 'evangelize' to have different meanings? As in symbolism? Or are we metaphorically speaking?
  • Frank Apisa
    But all though an atheist doesn't have a faith or belief, besides that they believe there isn't a God(Which may or may not be true)OpnionsMatter

Background: If I use a personal descriptor in this area, I use agnostic, but I prefer not to use a descriptor.

Now...the sentence of yours that I quoted made me laugh. (In a nice way.)

It's sorta like saying, "Certain people do not eat any food at all...except for the food they need to stay alive."

Aside: Atheist (atheism) is a descriptor that has made itself almost useless. It means so many things to so many people...that it almost always has to be explained.

All that aside, if you are asking if those of us who do not have a "belief" in a god...and who want to encourage others to share that value...should use "evangelize"...I agree with the majority here who think it probably does not work as effectively as the word "proselytize" does. Proselytizing" is the one I use when I am advocating for suspending "belief" in either direction on the question of whether any gods exist.
  • T Clark
    How do you speak for so many individuals?OpnionsMatter

I'm not speaking for anyone. In my experience, many atheists don't see what they do when they try to win people over to their way of seeing things as preaching, they see it as rational discussion.
  • hachit
    language theory says words can change meaning so I will continue to use the word evangelize till we have a new one.
  • OpinionsMatter

Your comment intrigues me. Yes, I understand that my wording was a bit peculiar, and I got a laugh out of it myself, but I was referring to the fact that they don't believe in any God, because they believe there is no such thing as a God. I understand the use of the word 'proselytizing' but as I previously mentioned it is a synonym of evangelize. These words apparently mean the same thing, so why do we use one or the other?
  • OpinionsMatter
    Many atheists don't see what they do when they try to win people over to their way of seeing things as preaching, they see it as rational discussion.T Clark

You just spoke for 'many' people all over again, you seem to contradict yourself some times.
  • OpinionsMatter

You seem to understand some of what I have hinted at, so congrats. Did you know that we as a people have created language? So if we as a people came up with this much needed new word, it will be added to our common and standard definitions as so many other words have.
  • T Clark
    You just spoke for 'many' people all over again, you seem to contradict yourself some times.OpnionsMatter

You left off "In my exprience" from the beginning of that sentence. I have experience with atheists here on the forum and elsewhere. In writing and in person. I've observed their behavior, listened to and responded to their words. If I characterize what some atheists believe based on my observations and what they've told me, it is not "speaking for them."
  • OpinionsMatter

Perhaps, but perhaps not. Did you remember to ask them whether they wanted their views public? Whether or not they actually wanted to be spoken for? I think not. I certainly do not want to be spoken for in any way, so we may assume that some of them don't agree with you using their opinion in the manner you did.
  • Frank Apisa
    Your comment intrigues me. Yes, I understand that my wording was a bit peculiar, and I got a laugh out of it myself, but I was referring to the fact that they don't believe in any God, because they believe there is no such thing as a God. I understand the use of the word 'proselytizing' but as I previously mentioned it is a synonym of evangelize. These words apparently mean the same thing, so why do we use one or the other?OpnionsMatter

Proselytize may be a synonym of evangelize...BUT they actually do NOT mean the same thing.

That has been pointed out by others.

Evangelizing is a form of proselytizing...but applies only to attempts to convert people to CHRISTIANITY. Proselytizing is an attempt to convert (someone) from one religion, belief, or opinion to another.

The Christianity factor for Evangelizing is the (significant) difference.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.