• Kippo
    I am prompted to enquire about the philosophy of sport in light of the controversies and discussions that currently abound regarding the acceptability of transgender athletes in women's sport. The general feeling, indeed the current procedure, is that there has to be a chemical (testorene) cut off point where one cannot be deemed to be female. Clearly this is going to hurt those athletes- probably transgender - whose testosterone levels are just too high for women's sport, but too low to effectively compete with men at the higher levels of their chosen sport.

My first reaction is that the whole issue illustrates the ridiculous nature of competitive and professional sport. Why stop at testosterone? Why not ban players who are very tall from playing basketball?

Also, is it bound to be true that the absolute best players of any sport always produce the most interesing sport to watch? Take tennis - if it is not true then we should, in principle, enjoy watching a low ranking match as much as a high ranking match. If it is true, then we should not enjoy watching a high level women's match as much as a high level men's match.
  • hachit
    It's mostly the legal department trying to work though cultural problems. Like how are you supposed to make sure you don't get someone unfairly stronger or weaker. Because on average men tend to me more athletic and wemon tend to be smarter (tend being a key word).
    Two common sections in every sport male and female because of the difference, so what do you do when someone who would be considered male identify as female. Do you let them compete with there unfair (genetic) advantage or not.
  • wax
    Yes, I think some people forget the purpose of profession sport, and that is because a lot of people enjoy watching it.
    Professional sport doesn't exist just for the benefit of the the players, its main reason, as far as I can see, is for the benefit of the audience.

There is nothing to stop anyone from playing sport in a non professional situation. A person can, if they can find other players, go to their local sports centre and play tennis, squash, football etc...any issues that prevent that, may have some validity, but I don't think that that should apply to professional sports.
  • Wayfarer
    Check out Ortega Y Gasset, 'The Sportive Origin of the State'.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.