• RegularGuy
    @S may be a dick sometimes, but at least I have respect for him. Others, not so much.
  • S
    It's one discussion out of hundreds in the Lounge. Just ignore it like most of the rest of us do.Baden

Not you though. Admit it, you love rolling around in the muck with the bad kids, so long as you can maintain some semblance of being above the fray. :grin:
  • S
    The title itself I simply rolled my eyes at and felt utter contempt at such expression.Amity

:snicker:
  • S
    You are right. I was referring to the thread but you know how shit spreads...or how one rotten apple spoils the whole barrel...Amity

Or one rotten killjoy ruins the fun. Yep, certainly wouldn't want that to spread.

Fair enough. Do other moderators hold the same view about this kind of 'discussion'? It is not about being upset, it is about challenging online behaviour.Amity

Ladies and gentleman, I believe we have ourselves a white knight.
  • S
    I am done.Amity

Sweet! Alrighty then, let's continue. :party:

Now, where were we...? I think when we left off, @Noah Te Stroete was wiping the tears from his vagina. Are you done crying, yet?
  • S
    S may be a dick sometimes, but at least I have respect for him. Others, not so much.Noah Te Stroete

Sometimes? :brow:
  • RegularGuy
    :lol: My vagina is now dry. Thanks.
  • RegularGuy
    Sometimes? :brow:S

I was being charitable. (My left brain is yelling at my right brain right now.) You’re still a dick. :kiss:
  • S
    I was being charitable.Noah Te Stroete

Ergh! How revolting. Kill it with fire.

(My left brain is yelling at my right brain right now.)Noah Te Stroete

Come now, we all know you don't have a brain.

You’re still a dick. :kiss:Noah Te Stroete

That's more like it. You had me worried for a second there.
  • RegularGuy
    Come now, we all know you don't have a brain.S

I have more than one, but at least mine aren’t up my ass! :lol:
  • S
    I have more than one, but at least mine aren’t up my ass! :lol:Noah Te Stroete

It's quality, not quantity. You could have a hundred, but you'll never be as smart as me.
  • RegularGuy
    It's quality, not quantity. You could have a hundred, but you'll never be as smart as me.S

Smartass
  • S
    SmartassNoah Te Stroete

Thank you.
  • Sir2u
    The title itself I simply rolled my eyes at and felt utter contempt at such expression.Amity

But you could not resist coming to see what was happening could you. :brow:
  • Amity
    But you could not resist coming to see what was happening could youSir2u

Well, yes I did resist.And had dismissed it from mind, even if there was a niggling doubt that it should be challenged. Just as Baden has advised others, it was ignored. Rightly or wrongly.

However, someone contacted me about the 'wits' on TPF and how a poster had complained to no apparent avail; the moderator response being that it is the Lounge. He also pointed out the interesting difference in moderation and tolerance levels between the main philo forums.

On OPC this 'discussion' would have been deleted and those involved given warnings or worse. It might be seen as oppressive, although plenty games are played there too. Fun for some to find a clever form of words which draw others to the limit and then stand back and smile as the poor manipulated sods cross over and get banned.

On PN hardly anything gets deleted. It might be seen as a place which has deteriorated in quality in direct contrast to its physical presence as The Philosophy Now magazine.

I think TPF has the Goldilocks effect. The principle of getting it just right - not too hot or cold - with a team of active and caring moderators. This forum is the best of the bunch, as far as my experience goes. So, thanks to all who keep it going.

Or one rotten killjoy ruins the fun. Yep, certainly wouldn't want that to spread.S

Just as you are given freedom of expression, so I enjoy mine. My comments were never likely to kill joy.
    Indeed, the very opposite has happened. Just as expected. It didn't take long for the buddies in arms to link up.

Someone earlier talked about respect for some and not others. So, some criteria of rightness or wrongness is carried along. My own view is that I respect all living beings as sentient creatures. I am no 'white knight' ( ladies and gentlemen :roll: ) but I will sometimes call out the behaviour and expressions of others.
    I support those brave enough to stick their heads above the parapet and acknowledge a certain wisdom in those who choose to ignore.

That's all. Gotta go check my halo is sitting right :halo:
  • S
    I am no 'white knight' ( ladies and gentlemen :roll: ) but I will sometimes call out the behaviour and expressions of others.
    I support those brave enough to stick their heads above the parapet and acknowledge a certain wisdom in those who choose to ignore.
    Amity

I dunno... sounds kinda white knight-ey to me.
  • Amity
    I dunno... sounds kinda white knight-ey to me.S

What do you mean by 'white knight' ?
    There are various definitions:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=White Knight

Also the way you used the term originally in an appeal to your 'audience' :
    "Ladies and gentleman, I believe we have ourselves a white knight."
    Sounded...I dunno...kinda like a persuasive rhetoric designed to capture a sense of ridicule and sway feelings against the alleged 'white knight'.
    A kinda bully boy tactic.
  • S
    ...kinda like a persuasive rhetoric designed to capture a sense of ridicule and sway feelings...Amity

Oh, that. You noticed? I thought that you might have been too busy gallantly riding in on your high horse to save the day, with your noble armour of pure brilliant white glistening in the dazzling sun, a reflection of your saintly nature and inestimable virtue.
  • S
    :smirk: :smirk: :smirk: :smirk: :smirk: :smirk: :smirk: :smirk: :smirk: :smirk: :smirk: :smirk: :smirk: :smirk: :smirk: :smirk: :smirk: :smirk: :smirk: :smirk: :smirk: :smirk: :smirk: :smirk: :smirk: :smirk: :smirk: :smirk: :smirk: :smirk: :smirk: :smirk: :smirk: :smirk:

When you go to bed tonight, this expression will haunt your dreams.
  • Amity
    Oh, that. You noticed? I thought that you might have been too busy gallantly riding in on your high horse to save the day, with your noble armour of pure brilliant white glistening in the dazzling sun, a reflection of your saintly nature and inestimable virtue.S

You don't deny the bully boy tactic, then ?
  • RegularGuy
    You don't deny the bully boy tactic, then ?Amity

You’re a bully, too. That’s the thing. Even bullies have bullies. No one is innocent in this world, and nobody asked you to stick your nose in.
  • Amity
    You’re a bully, too. That’s the thing. Even bullies have bullies. No one is innocent in this world, and nobody asked you to stick your nose in.Noah Te Stroete

No. That I am not. However, those that bully generally have been bullied.
    I recognise that.

If I am guilty of anything it is in disrupting the flow of this immature rant.
    It is not bullying to raise an objection to unacceptable behaviour or expression.
    It is bullying to try and stifle any such objection by ganging up and poking fun.
    To make it so that the next person who has an objection is put off.
    I understand why others wisely ignore - who needs a target painted on their back.
    Nobody asked me to get involved - nobody has to. I am an independent thinker.
    That is what philosophy is about. In my eyes.

I will say no more.
  • RegularGuy
    So the term “disturbed” wasn’t directed at me? Do you know the history of stigma the mentally ill have gone through? Yes, you’re a bully, too.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.