• unenlightened
    Wow, did you really say that unenlightened?

Btw, if so, which offensive fuckers were you referring to?
    hunterkf5732

I was referring to myself. But as this clarification indicates, I wrongly assumed that someone who is fucking offensive is an offensive fucker. You can put this schoolboy error down to drinking if you like, or to my usual dictatorial tone, or to some other failing, I really don't mind.

So, I don't know if Un was drinking when he wrote this, but no one was called an offensive fucker. I told him he didn't need to be fucking offensive, referring to the dictatorial tone he had just taken with another poster.Mongrel
  • Mongrel
    You usually refer to yourself in the plural? That's weird.
  • S
    Beat me (and my other selves) to the punch. How dare you steal my thunder? (N)
  • Jamal
    I took him to be referring to himself among others, you pedantic lot.
  • unenlightened
    Indeed, I meant you too. I like to share the insults around.
  • Jamal
    Very even-handed. (Y)
  • Hanover
    l8lretzmml7chnk0.jpg

Aww. Who can stay mad now?
  • Mongrel
    Everybody loves a little pedantry. You, Baden, and Sapientia all let me know that I had misunderstood Un and again, I appreciate your taking the time to answer my concern.
  • Mongrel
    Those are baby predators.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    But as this clarification indicates, I wrongly assumed that someone who is fucking offensive is an offensive fucker. You can put this schoolboy error down to drinking if you like, or to my usual dictatorial tone, or to some other failing, I really don't mind.unenlightened

Yeah, I can see how, through the blur of alcohol, someone who is being fucking offensive might appear to be an offensive fucker, or if someone called you fucking offensive you might misconstrue this, as an accusation of being an offensive fucker. Perhaps even, you might recognize some as fucking offensive, and mistakenly call them offensive fuckers. I've seen a lot worse errors of interpretation and composition around here.
  • Mongrel
    There's been a fair amount of misunderstanding from the start, apparently.

I'm sure Unenlightened won't mind me helping others to avoid making the same mistake I did... so explaining that if he seems totalitarian, that's not a reflection of how the moderators actually feel about things.
  • Wosret
    The truth is that I'm secretly in charge, all behind the scenes and such. It's so secret in fact, that even at the highest levels they aren't aware of it.
    I'm sure Unenlightened won't mind me helping others to avoid making the same mistake I did... so explaining that if he seems totalitarian, that's not a reflection of how the moderators actually feel about things.Mongrel

What a moderator posts in a reply on the forum, and how a moderator moderates the forum are two distinct things. I'm sure we all know that. But be careful replying to a moderator lest the moderator replies with moderation. Hmm, something's amiss. Try this: The moderator should be moderate in the act of moderation, but in the act of discussion in the forum, there's no need for moderation from the moderator.
  • BC
    There is moderation and then there is immoderation.
  • Mongrel
    The truth is that I'm secretly in charge, all behind the scenes and such. It's so secret in fact, that even at the highest levels they aren't aware of it.Wosret

Even NASA doesn't know about it?
  • Mongrel
    What a moderator posts in a reply on the forum, and how a moderator moderates the forum are two distinct things. I'm sure we all know thatMetaphysician Undercover

It's all about the message. Actions follow... or not.. who cares? That's from my upcoming book: What I learned from watching Donald Trump.
    You can actually learn something from Donald Trump?
  • Mongrel
    Seems like there ought to be a lesson in there somewhere.
  • Baden
    There is. Dumb works.
    That's a problem with how we describe the way that we learn. We observe our teachers, and we say that we are learning from those people. In actual fact, we are observing, applying our own logical processes, and producing conclusions. We are actually learning through observation, and our own logical processes, not from the others. So the problem occurs when we observe others who are not actually teachers, or intending to teach us, and we say that we are learning from them. This implies that they are teachers and are teaching us.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.