• Banno
    I must apologise in advance to those who are heartily sick of the many Goatist threads that have appeared in this forum over the last few weeks. But so many of those threads break with common sense and agreed reasoning that I am obliged to set out, as simply as I may, the case for the Great Goat.

We know that goats eat everything. This is undeniable.

If A eats B, B cannot eat A; a moment's reflection will show this must be true. SO it follows that either there is an indefinite gastronomic chain, such that goat 1 is eaten by goat 2, which in turn is eaten by goat 3, and hence that there is never a goat that is not eaten by some other goat; or there is one goat that eats every goat; the Great Goat.

But since goats eat everything, there is something that eats the Great Goat.

The traditional answer is of course that the Great Goat eats itself. The self-inflicted suffering of the Great Goat gives meaning to our own suffering.

Now I hope that this short commentary helps divest you of any gnawing doubts. One hopes it will put an end to the mental mastication hereabouts, but that may be too much to imbibe.
  • Grey Vs Gray
    Maybe The Great Goat is that goat which does not eat. Why base greatness on gluttony? Why not masticational abstinance?
  • Shawn
    The Great Goat can only eat one thing at a time. Hence, it either eats itself indefinitely and is reduced to impotency or it commits cannibalism and eats other goats.
  • Banno
    A goat that does not eat would be a gastronomic heresy.

It would lie alongside the heresy of the Goat that eats, but is not itself eaten.
  • Banno
    The Great Goat can only eat one thing at a time.Posty McPostface

That's just not true. You falsely imbue the Great Goat with your own limitations.
  • Banno
    This thread belongs in the Philosophy of religion, not the lounge.

The logic demonstrated here is a direct mirror of the logic used elsewhere in the Religion section. It is a parody.
  • Grey Vs Gray
    Well I believe I understand. Unfortunately just as I understood I was suddenly 1,000 pounds and could not get up. Then I doubted and because I doubted, I died. I am in the belly of the beast, swimming in a lake of acid with a thousand goats screaming as their skin melts from their bones. At least I have my phone.
  • Shawn

Then the goat blows up? If it can consume everything including itself then it's a case of the self containing infinite and innumerable set or more commonly known as Russells paradox?
  • Banno
    A Revelation! Praise the Curry!
  • Banno
    That's just an issue with setting up set theory. Nothing to do with goats.
  • Grey Vs Gray
    It's almost as if the goat is a combination of the devil and the devouring mother archetype.
  • S
    Can you imagine that than which nothing greater can be thought? Go ahead, give it a try.

You're thinking of a goat, aren't you?
  • Banno
    Indeed, not unlike the dance of Shiva and Kali.
  • Deleteduserrc
    Ha ! this reminds me of the flying pasta man! its funny when you think about how people who are are so eager to believe in god are so unsure of the flying pasta god. It's obvious that if you believe in the one, then you have to believe in the other because the reasoning is just as bad. Its funny to see all these posts on religion in here when its supposed to be a philosophy forum for people who are supposed to be a little more reasonable, and believe in pursuing the truth. It was nice to see a post that was a little more open to challenge that. it reminded me of monty python, when you said goat, it reminded me of when the knights of ni wanted a shrubbery - so random, lol, but the randomness kind of proves the point. anyway I was interested to see your particular take on this subject and am eager to see what else you have to say about religion.
  • Banno
    The Great Goat sups on flying pasta.
  • Banno
    Can you imagine that than which nothing greater can be thought?S

The argument is ancient, undeniable and simple: Goats eat everything. So for whatever you imagine, there is a goat that eats it.

Therefore goats are greater than anything imaginable.
  • Banno
    A sceptic?

Recently, there have been a few people on the forum who aren't as familiar with my stance in relation to Goats, and have had trouble understanding it. Some have even declared that they can rip it to shreds. Hence the creation of this discussion.

I'm an atheist. But what does that mean? What kind of atheist am I? It means that I don't believe that Goats exist, and it means that I don't believe that any goat or goats going by any other name or even no name at all exist. I try to be reasonable, so I try to proportion my belief to the evidence, and I try to avoid adopting conclusions that can't be supported.

In some cases, I think that it is justified to conclude that Goats doesn't exist. Those cases include each and every case whereby the existence of goats would entail a contradiction.

In other cases, I accept that it is possible that Goats exists. However, there is no case I know of where I think it would be right to conclude that there is a good enough basis to believe that Goats exist.

I discount those cases whereby Goats are merely used as label for something that I do believe exists, such as the world. That is just wordplay - a triviality.

I am aware of the traditional arguments for the existence of Goats, such as the ontological argument, the cosmological argument, and the teleological argument. I think that there are big problems with all of them.
    S
  • Deleteduserrc
    all jokes aside, the cosmological argument is actually pretty interesting. A good parody would mirror its logic, and this one doesn't quite.
  • Marchesk

Only if you imagine the Great Goat to be at the top of the Great Chain of Eating. But if instead you think of the Great Goat as that which makes eating possible, you would recognize the infantility of your western presuppositions.
  • S
    That's different! That was about God! Whereas...

Look, it's just different, okay?
  • jorndoe
    Indeed, Everything is a Goat (Bill Capra, Philosophy Now, 2009).

Furthermore, Nigeria police hold 'robber' goat (BBC, Jan 2009), and then there's Rick.

Compelling. Undeniable. (y)
  • Banno
    The point of the "who eats the eater" argument is not to ask who eats the eater but to simplify Occam's Razor. It is simpler to say the universe IS than to state the universe was eaten, because that is what we know. To say "Goats are, and thus the universe is" is more complex than "the universe is." You get the drift.Grey Vs Gray

This entirely misses the point that goats eat everything. Without acknowledging this basic, self-evident truth, this hinge proposition, your argument about universes amounts to nothing. IF goats eat everything, then the universe is eaten.
  • Banno
    I already explained in another thread- I believe in Goats on the basis of experiences I've had (as well as some other things). I don't believe in Goats purely on the basis of abstract arguments. So I haven't made a thread saying "here is the 100% proof Goats exists" and I don't think I will. Now I've explained why. Other people haven't seen and experienced the things I've seen and experienced.Ram

Hear, hear.
  • Marchesk
    Without acknowledging this basic, self-evident truth, this hinge proposition,Banno

Oh, that was good. You've out-goated yourself.
  • Banno
    I am happy to acknowledge my debt to Billy.
  • Wheatley
    Banno please stop acting the goat.
  • Banno
    There are many attempts throughout history of people trying to argue for the existence of the Great Goat through reasoned discussion. What are these apologists trying to achieve? Suppose for argument sake that the arguments for the existence of the Great Goat were sound. What type of people are going to be convinced by logical sound arguments? Those who's intelligence are capable of understanding theistic arguments and are rational enough to except them, of course. So you have intelligent and rational people accepting the existence of the Great Goat by the mere fact they possess the qualities of being intelligent and rational. But what about those people who don't possess those qualities and are not smart enough to understand and accept theistic arguments. Is it their fault that they cannot grasp them? Isn't the Great Goat being unfair? I mean it's not my fault if I can't grasp theistic arguments for the existence of the Great Goat.

It's only fair that everyone get's the chance to discover the Great Goat, and not those who are lucky to posses certain qualities. Is the Great Goat unfair?
    Purple Pond

The Great Goat is beyond fair and unfair, rational and irrational. We eaters will each in our turn be eaten.
  • Banno
    Here is the cosmological argument as presented by Billy Capra:

The argument in question is a cosmological argument against goatism. The argument runs as follows:

Premise 1: Goats eat everything.

Premise 2: Eating is asymmetric. That is, if A eats B, then B does not eat A.

Therefore:

Conclusion: There is at least one non-goat.

The absurdity of this argument is obvious.
  • unenlightened
    If A eats B, B cannot eat A; a moment's reflection will show this must be true.Banno

A moment's reflection shows me that this is the opposite of the truth. We all eat worms, don't we? And we understand that eventually we will be worm-food. Your principle does not even apply to individuals, as most of us have experienced being eaten from the inside out by something we have ingested.
  • Banno
    A good rule of thumb is that what is shown to be true by a moment of consideration will be shown to be false with due consideration.
  • unenlightened
    A moment's consideration shows that to be true.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.