• Wayfarer
    For those interested. The simulations are great, I think they’re from NASA or JPL, and this producer’s engineering documentaries are always good.

• TheMadFool
    I'm sure you're in the know about what I'm about to say but I'll say it any way if only to stimulate some discussion.

The east-west dichotomy of thought can be roughly summarized as introvered (looking within) and extroverted (looking without) if one ignores some inconsistencies here and there.

The Perseverance Rover is at the bleeding edge of the world's technological capabilities and is the newest representative of the West's extroverted personality. I don't mean to denigrate the West's approach to reality of course as the results (overall improvement in the human condition even if for some it's only in the short-term) seem to be particularly relevant to the East's introverted tendencies. After all, some level of physical comfort is sine qua non for the mind to do its thing.

In stark contrast, the East's interest in the "inner wolrd" has, over the centuries, waned and is, as of this moment, either merely repetitive or is entirely nonexistent. In other words there is no Perseverance Rover counterpart that's been launched into "innerspace".

It looks like the East has given up its introverted nature and is now in the process of copying a Western mindset. This is a shame because as we all know "innerspace" is as mysterious and unexplored as is outerspace and should deserve at the very least equal if not more attention.

That said, I do feel some degree of optimism with the way things are going because it seems possible that answers to questions about ourselves maybe found in the world beyond ourselves and vice versa. Despite clear evidence of neglect and abandonment of the Eastern way of thinking, I anticipate that just as if we travel east far enough we end up in the west and conversely if we travel west long enough we end up in the east, the two different ways of coming at the world will reveal each other's deepest secrets.
  • Wayfarer
    Actually I didn’t post this for a philosophical debate, really - my bad. I just posted it as a really interesting documentary on an interesting topic This producer is an independent Youtube producer with a series called Real Engineering, and I really like his work (and his splendid Scottish or North English brogue.) I’ve learned a lot watching his material. Secondly, I’m in awe of the sheer technical chops of these people. (And they can say - hey, it IS rocket science!) The ingenuity they show is mind-boggling. Especially considering if something goes wrong out there, there’s no roadside assistance - there’s your 10 billion dollars gone. It has to work, and when you look at what it has to execute, it’s awe inspiring.

As far as the East v West dichotomy goes, I know I’m one of the kind of eastern-oriented people here, but when it comes to this kind of tech, the West has it all hands-down, no contest. Where I really think the archetypal ‘east’ has a contribution, is in helping developing a philosophy which is NOT based on endless growth, expansion and acquisition. In other words, to make a value proposition out of renunciation, to develop a lifestyle and economic philosophy which provides a real alternative to endless stimulation. They should have some chops there, right? But western techne is an indispensable resource in our day, it’s gotten us into this mess and it has to help find the way out, which I’m sure it will.

That said, I’m a space travel sceptic. I think interstellar is out of reach, in a way which is NOT analogous to America being out of reach of medieval Europe. It’s out of reach in the sense that physically travelling there is inconceivable, knowing what we know. I will always admire and respect the kind of outreach, pioneering spirit which says otherwise, but I’m of the firm view that we have our spaceship, which is Earth, and we have to devote all our ingenuity, all our science, all our philosophy, to maintaining and preserving it.
  • TheMadFool
    Actually I didn’t post this for a philosophical debate, really - my bad.Wayfarer

My humble apologies.

Especially considering if something goes wrong out there, there’s no roadside assistance - there’s your 10 billion dollars gone. It has to work, and when you look at what it has to execute, it’s awe inspiring.Wayfarer

Indeed! The everything went off smoothly without a glitch is a testament to the Perseverance Rover's team's mastery of the ins and outs of technology.

That said, not to burst your bubble here, "all that's required" as far as I can tell is simple number crunching which even a highschool grad can do given the right set of formulae which are probably three centuries old (Newtonian mechanics). That's a bit of a reality check for people, me included, who feel that there's something wondrous going on with any of these highly-publicized space launches. But of course credit must be given where it's due. Great Work Perseverance Rover Team!!! Keep up the good work!

As far as the East v West dichotomy goes, I know I’m one of the kind of eastern-oriented people here, but when it comes to this kind of tech, the West has it all hands-down, no contest. Where I really think the archetypal ‘east’ has a contribution, is in helping developing a philosophy which is NOT based on endless growth, expansion and acquisition. In other words, to make a value proposition out of renunciation, to develop a lifestyle and economic philosophy which provides a real alternative to endless stimulation. They should have some chops there, right? But western techne is an indispensable resource in our day, it’s gotten us into this mess and it has to help find the way out, which I’m sure it will.Wayfarer

I was just referring to the celebratory mood such technological feats puts us into and how it might overshadow, at our peril, to our disadvantage, an equally great but inverted affect that seems to be in order as there never has been an equivalent project, not even on paper, for what I've referring to as "inner space" which quite fortunately you seem to get.

That said, I’m a space travel scepticWayfarer

What I said above should find a home in that sentiment then.
  • ssu
    It looks like the East has given up its introverted nature and is now in the process of copying a Western mindset. This is a shame because as we all know "innerspace" is as mysterious and unexplored as is outerspace and should deserve at the very least equal if not more attention.TheMadFool
    At least when it comes to the exploration of Mars, I think it's great that "the East" has copied the West and created very interesting Space programs.

With less than the amount of money put into the 2013 blockbuster "Gravity", India launched an Mars orbiter the same year. The UAE reached Mars with it's own Emirates Mars Mission that was earlier launched from Japan. One of objectives of the Mars mission was to "educate and inspire the younger generations", i.e. to get more engineering and science done in the oil producing country.

From humble beginnings in 1963:

atheni-the-first-rocket-in-india-was-transported-on-a-14603022.png

The fact is that especially space programs and space research might still be thought as a "vanity" project and useless waste of money. This attitude still resonates. Best example is of course the UK, which cancelled it's small space program (and afterwards launched the fully functioning satellite, because why not) because it was "too costly" and thus France reaped the profits of the commercial satellite boom in Europe. In fact investing in space research and technology has been one of the most profitable things to do: the extremes of space have meant that the technology has been pushed to the limit, something that otherwise hasn't been important with tech when you can have trade barriers to "protect" your industries.

The east, especially the Muslim World, has for too long been away from the scientific research realm.
  • TheMadFool
    @WayfarerGreat post. Not as uplifting as some would've hoped or liked. Thank you for your time.

I was driving through the city just a few moments ago and saw this young lad with a jacket that read "STYLE" and this seems to be right word for the occasion. After all, as Thomas Kuhn believed, there's "normal science" and "paradigm shifts" to consider and he thought of the latter as changes in fashion (style).

I suppose what this calls for is an appreciation on our (me included) part for the marvel of "normal science" the Perseverance Rover is. It seems I've been rather preoccupied by "paradigm shifts" to notice that.

Science is a series of exercises in imitation (normal science) punctuated by changes in fashion (revolutions) — Anonymous
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment