• Sir2u

Feeling old today, remembering young loves while listening to old songs.
  • Changeling
    video unavailable where I am

Listening to another version. Pretty good. Looks like they were big in Japan (not in the pejorative sense)
  • Sir2u
    Listening to another version. Pretty good.The Opposite

All of their music was good, but then most of the music made in that era was. I played some of their tracks a couple of years ago for my students, they were fascinated with them.

So little originality nowadays that does not rely on the use of electronic synthesizers. These guys had none of that stuff to work with.
  • Changeling
    These guys had none of that stuff to work with.Sir2u

Yes and the use of actual instruments makes the music sound more 'raw' - in a good way.
  • Noble Dust

And then this happened:

• Sir2u
    A lot of this music gets ruined when the remove the squeaks and bumps by digitizing it. It can never sound like the jukebox down at the pub.

But even that cannot remove the greatness of it.
  • Noble Dust

Climate Of Hunter was released in 1983; off the top of my head there's a small chance it could've been recorded digitally, but highly unlikely. I just meant Scott went from the Walker Brothers to his weird stuff.
  • Sir2u
    Climate Of Hunter was released in 1983; off the top of my head there's a small chance it could've been recorded digitally, but highly unlikely. I just meant Scott went from the Walker Brothers to his weird stuff.Noble Dust

Look at the title of the video,

Remastered 2006 :wink:
  • Noble Dust

Sure, but you're still listening to digitized music if you're posting youtube clips (obviously). I agree remasters aren't always necessary, but a lot of the time what they're after is better EQ settings, or or a more modern, musical use of the stereo field. In theory a remaster can bring out musical information that was buried in the original mix; this is especially true of old prog rock records, for instance, where the mixing technology of the time couldn't keep up with all of the musical information a band was trying to cram into the mix.
  • Sir2u

Have you every listened to vinyl records? I still do. Even the best of them played on a really good stereo had some quirky imperfections. I personal think that was better.

Not many of the old groups and singers made very complicated music back then, so there was not that much information to cram into the mix. That was the beauty of the old stuff, they did wonderful things simply.
    There are some Jimi Hendrix live concerts that came out on 33 albums, the noise of the crowds was part of the magic. One one of them you could hear him dancing across the stage as the music went from one speaker to the other and back again. I heard a remastered version of it and I can honestly say it was crap. they had down toned the background sounds and it sounded more like a studio recording than a live one.
  • Noble Dust
    Have you every listened to vinyl records?Sir2u

Yeah of course. I don't disagree, I'm just saying sometimes a remaster can be legitimate.
  • Sir2u
    Like everything else, they have there place in the world. :wink:

I heard some really old tapes from a club in New Orleans a few years ago, and they were hard to listen to. Someone did a recover/remaster of them and the sound was great after that, the guy was promoting his digitizing business, but the effect was fantastic.
  • Noble Dust

Yes exactly; there's a time and place for every artistic/technical decision. And I understand the desire to not have your favorite music recordings messed with. Even as a younger person, there are certain imperfections about my favorite records from bands from the early 00's that I wouldn't want to see altered by a remaster. I get it.

If anything, as someone who didn't grow up with classic 60-80's records, I'm maybe just more curious than anything else to hear that music through a new lens. Rubber Soul is my favorite Beatles record, but hard-panned drums and bass drive me crazy.

On the other hand, I'm slowly but surely doing an entire re-mix of the record I made my freshman year in college and it's a wild experience. I know so much more about mixing now than I did then. It's still the same music, and there are a lot of inherent flaws in the recording that I can't magically fix, but the music has so much more breathing room now. Of course, it's a totally self-indulgent project. But there's something to be learned through the process.
  • Sir2u
    If anything, as someone who didn't grow up with classic 60-80's records,Noble Dust

Most of the time I listen to 50- 70's stuff, but not very much in the pop charts caught my interest after maybe 75.

There are some modern things I like, country is more or less timeless, reggae and calypso are almost eternal, and there are still some rock groups that produce interesting stuff.

But honestly, I would rather listen to the older the older music and songs. I still play Led Zeppelin, Cream, Black Sabbath and Johnny Cash at high volume, lucky I don't have neighbors.
  • Jack Cummins
    Dare I say it I am listening to BTS. Despite liking alternative music I have a soft spot for boybands ranging from Take That to One Direction. I even have some albums from early boybands of the seventies, including Slik, who was the band Midge Ure was in before Ultravox, and I even listen to the Osmonds, as well as The Jackson Five. I also like a bit of Blur and Oasis.
  • 180 Proof
    :clap:
    :clap:

:up:
    The only "boy bands" for me ever were/are still The Beatles (early) and The Jackson Five.

I've been mad for fucking years, absolutely years ... I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have. Very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad.

https://youtu.be/Qs63dcPh3Mw

The Dark Side of the Moon (43:09)
    lyrics by Roger Waters, 1973
    produced & performed by Pink Floyd
    guest vocalist Clare Torry
    engineer Alan Parsons
    mix supervisor Chris Thomas
    recorded at Abbey Road Studios, London, UK

https://youtu.be/Fs1Aa383BCI :cool:

"Blues Ain't Nothing but a Woman" (9:46)
    Helen Humes and Her All Star Band, 1962
  • Noble Dust
    For all of my posturing as a music dude, sometimes I listen to this crappy muzak station if I need to zone out with some completely harmless, impotent noise.

bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment