• tim wood
    When you get really, really tired, work twice as hard.
    — tim wood

No. Realize you've worked too hard and never do that again. Just who are you trying to impress anyway? ;)
    Baden

When years ago I did drywall work, I would often get plain tired - it's hard work. I learned to adopt this as a mantra. "Work twice as hard." It worked: I could, and I was re-energized. It's not so much for me to impress anyone, but for anyone to adopt so that they might impress themselves, and learn something about their reserve capacity for work. Likely many people do it less consciously than I did; perhaps they thereby missed the joy of it.
  • deletedmemberwy
    Things will go on as they always have; that is, badly.
    - Benjamin from Animal Farm by George Orwell.
  • T Clark
    If you think everyone is an asshole, there’s a good chance you’re the asshole.
  • Caldwell
    Some quotes I use as maxims:

Kids need your love most when they deserve it least. — Erma Bombeck
    Srap Tasmaner
    So true. I agree.

Here's one:
    "You breed crows, your eyes are gonna get pecked."
  • Noble Dust

I'm both honored, and also a moron. Actually, I tend to be a moron more often than I receive honor. Thanks for both?
  • iolo
    'You don't tell children there's no Father Christmas' - my Mother on religion.
  • Streetlight
    My favourite:

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo

(If I cannot bend the heavens, I will stir the infernal powers)

- Virgil, Aeneid VII, 312.
  • 0 thru 9
    More mottos that pop into my mind occasionally, and seem to be helpful...

• Words reflect the speaker (or writer) far, far more than the supposed subject under discussion. Our favorite subject is ourselves.
    • Bless everyone and everything, all of the time. Try to, at least. (Blessing here not meaning approving or liking, necessarily.)
    • When in doubt, wait it out.
    • Speeding through a parking lot saves no time, and helps absolutely no one.
    • When you are tired of being yourself, be someone else. When you are tired of being a human, be a tree or perhaps a pool of water.
    • When doing a job: safety first. Then accuracy and correctness. Then speed.
    • What is the hardest thing to carry, yet weighs nothing? A grudge.
    • Don’t say “I can do it” because the subconscious when answer “No, you can’t!” or “No, you shouldn’t”. Say rather “It can be done, if it is necessary and the timing is right”.

From the Tao Te Ching:
    • Treat a victory as seriously as a funeral.
    • If you do not compete, you will have in all the world no competitor.
    • Who has enough to fill up everyone? Only those that are filled with emptiness.
    • The highest good is like water. Water can wear away a mountain, and yet wash your dirty feet without complaint!
  • T Clark
    (If I cannot bend the heavens, I will stir the infernal powers)StreetlightX

I think this explains a lot of your behavior as a moderator. :friendly smirk:
  • T Clark
    Never, ever, ever let a school bus cut in ahead of you in traffic. Never.
  • Streetlight
    :grin:

I also like this one, although together with the last, it's darker than you might think:

"Let us laugh together, on principle" - William Connolly
  • T Clark
    "Let us laugh together, on principle" - William ConnollyStreetlightX

Mr. Connolly has stated my entire philosophy in six words.
  • BC
    Life is like a sewer; what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. Thomas Lehrer.
  • Sir2u
    Ignorance is like bad teeth, keeping your mouth shut stops people from noticing you suffer from them.

If you don't want to fix problems, don't cause them.
  • 0 thru 9
    more mad maxims... :flower:
    • Despite any appearances to the contrary, this particular moment is radically different from all others, and yet somehow is connected to all of them.
    • On slippery ice, walk like a penguin. Keep your arms out, walk slowly with a wide stance, and shuffle your feet.
    • If one must assume anything, assume that anything can happen at anytime, for goodness knows what reason.
    • If you can’t apologize to someone directly or in person, then apologize in your heart.
    • Your eyes can deceive you. Don’t trust them. - Obi-Won Kenobi
    • Don’t believe every thought that enters your mind. Treat your thoughts with the skepticism and caution you would have if someone knocked on your door in the middle of the night.
    • Showing Off Strengths = S.O.S.
      Working On Weakness = WOW
    • Whatever others do or don’t do, uphold your end of the bargain.
    • Words and deeds live on longer than the person. If you assume your words will have an effect, and that your actions are being recorded; you are probably correct.
    • How am I not myself? How am I not myself? How am I not myself? - from I :heart: Huckabees.
    • Where can you go, to leave yourself behind? - “Red Light”, U2
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    If my dog doesn't like you, chances are there is a reason and I trust them with my life so...... :chin:
  • deletedmemberwy
    Sometimes life hurts.
  • 0 thru 9
    Did anyone ask for yet more maxims? (Well here they are anyway)

1. Honesty is always, always, always the best policy. At all times, places, and in all situations. (See #2)

2. Occasionally choosing an action that is NOT necessarily the best policy might help you live longer, and could turn out to be fun. (See #3)

3. If your Significant Other finds out that you are both a liar and a hypocrite, you may not WANT to live any longer. Honestly, that’s not fun. (See #1 and strongly consider staying there) :yum:
  • Wayfarer
    You can’t explain mathematics. Mathematics is what explains.
  • andrewk
    Try! Do or do not is a false dichotomy.
  • unenlightened
    You don't have to be mad to study psychology, it does it for you.
  • Jeremiah
    I have a saying I came up during my decade in customer service.

People are people are people are people . . .

I estimate that during that period I spoke one on one with roughly between 150k - 170k different people from all over the world, of all types and ages. I learned that they are all same, all of them. I also think that humans were never meant to mass interact on that level, it left me with with a general dislike of people. I quit before that dislike grew into something more, but I still have a hard time not getting irritated with just about everyone.
  • Moliere
    One I often find myself repeating:

"It is what it is"
  • Txastopher
    . Hard to translate, but means that only fools take consolation from the fact that many others have the same problems that they do. Gets to the heart of so much faulty reasoning.
  • 0 thru 9
    Never listen to what others tell you to do. But don’t take my advice...

Everything is nothing. Nothing is everything.
    Something is part of everything. Everything is part of each thing.
    (or something like that! :wink: )

Most of the time, the evidence and facts one has are much closer to 1% than 100%.

All the world’s a stage... which one day it’ll grow out of.

Life is a little game of “doing what you can with what you have, for as long as possible... while taking what you need, and giving what you can” Hopefully, while ever learning and discarding the ineffective and wasteful.

Even a blind squirrel can find his nuts.
    :blush:
  • MindForged
    I've no clue if she created it, but my grandmother used to say:

If you do something stupid, don't do it twice.

I suppose I was never good at putting that into practice though...
  • BC
    There is no such thing as meaningless sex. — Bitter Crank
  • BC
    You mean, the sex dolls having sex with each other? I suppose that might not be very meaningful, since the dolls would have difficulty developing a decent decadent narrative.

Or possibly you mean people having sex with sex dolls? Whoever heard of such a thing--screwing a piece of inflated plastic! Sex with a sex doll would not be meaningless, however. It might not be a sublime and elegant meaning, but it would have meaning, none-the-less.
  • BC
    Everything begins in mysticism and ends in politics.
    Charles Peguy.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.