• jkg20
    Of course, everyone will want the Plato card - it will beat everyone else - but I was wondering if anyone had ideas for categories one would use for Top Trumps for philosophers. Number of major works, comes to mind as one. To allow even for the Plato card to be beaten, I guess we could add in age (the oldest winning, of course). Any other ideas?
  • Wayfarer
    The Number One idea, beyond a shadow of doubt, is- remove Trump from your title, as in the current circumstances, this has most unfortunate connotations.
  • Deleteduserrc
    lol, yeah, my first thought too.

Derrida's whole thing is trumping everyone, on their own terms. I guess you could think of Derrida like a Ditto in pokemon. Whatever trump card you lay down, his move is to replicate a shadow image of that card and let them tear each other apart. That's a cool move. For instance, Plato will trump you with truth over your sophistry. Derrida will draw out the sophistry that allows Plato to distinguish between truth and sophistry in the first place, and voila: plato has just trumped himself. (I'm not a big Derrida fan, btw, but I think he works great in a Trump Card context.)
  • Deleteduserrc
    Then there's also the Marx card which goes like: Yeah, your card's alright, but like 5000000 people died so we could even play this game, and you're justifying that every time you play it. So, like: cool card, you asshole. I don't know how you can sleep at night
  • Deleteduserrc
    The solipsist, meanwhile, will just say that any trump card he confronts, he must have played himself.
  • Monitor
    The Schopenhauer card says: you can't win anyway and you would't be satisfied if you did.
  • _db
    Trump philosophersjkg20

A contradiction in terms!
  • _db
    but I was wondering if anyone had ideas for categories one would use for Top Trumps for philosophers.jkg20

Top ten anime betrayals western philosophers of all time, in order based on nothing but my personal opinion:

• Plato
    • Hegel Schopenhauer
    • Augustine
    • Nietzsche
    • Kant
    • Heidegger
    • Aquinas
    • Peirce
    • Descartes
    • Wittgenstein

Top ten philosophers of all time:

• Schopenhauer
    • Plato
    • Siddhartha Gautama
    • Schopenhauer
    • Jesus of Nazareth
    • Schopenhauer
    • Nietzsche
    • Schopenhauer
    • Schopenhauer
    • Schopenhauer
  • MetaphysicsNow
    I echo a couple of others on here - you should ammend the typo in your discussion title :wink:
    Top trumps philosophers will have to avoid a Zeno card - it could never be dealt out: before it lands on the table, it would have to travel half the distance between the pack and the table, and before it could reach that point it would have to travel half the distance between the pack and that point........;
    The Hegel card will never accept defeat and just look for a synthesis instead.
  • Cuthbert
    Some awkward ones to add to the Zeno card:
    The Heraclitus card is a member and is not a member of the pack.
    The Russell card both is and is not a member of all packs of cards that are not members of themselves.
    The Plato card is not a physical card and can only be apprehended by the mind.
    The Berkeley card sounds like a credit card.
    No, The Berkeley card is a card only when it's being perceived.
  • Forgottenticket
    Schopenhauer
    Schopenhauer
    Schopenhauer
    darthbarracuda

why though? Do you actually agree with everything he wrote about the will and how it manifests overtime including all the supernatural implications eg the animal magnetism essay ect.
  • Baden

Looks like no-one answered your question. Maybe:

Output: e.g. Aristotle ~100
    Cool Factor: e.g. Camus ~100
    Influence: e.g. Plato ~100
    Controversy: e.g. Nietzsche ~100

For those who are not familiar with Top Trumps>>yq6ow9iwj5xzsf4l.jpg
  • Cuthbert
    Schopenhau. Schopenhauer. Schopenhauest.
  • _db
    why though? Do you actually agree with everything he wrote about the will and how it manifests overtime including all the supernatural implications eg the animal magnetism essay ect.JupiterJess

No, I don't agree with everything Schopenhauer said.
  • Thorongil
    I thought you were trying to ask who Trump's top philosophers are. Someone should ask him that.
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    hmm...

Trump's philosophers?

I doubt he's familar with many or any of them but I'd suggest:

Julius Evola
    Alexander Geljewitsch Dugin
    Ayn Rand
    Giovanni Gentile
    Arthur de Gobineau
    Lothrop Stoddard

If he wasn't familiar with them then his former minister of propaganda (yes I said it) Stephen Bannon certainly was familiar and probably pulled appropriate strings until he hung himself, but that's just a guess.

Meow!

G
  • Ilyosha
    Trump's philosophers?

I doubt he's familar with many or any of them but I'd suggest:

Julius Evola
    Alexander Geljewitsch Dugin
    Ayn Rand
    Giovanni Gentile
    Arthur de Gobineau
    Lothrop Stoddard
    Mayor of Simpleton

I'd say that Frege, Heidegger, and Carl Schmitt covers just about all the bases.

Looks like no-one answered your question. Maybe:

Output: e.g. Aristotle ~100
    Cool Factor: e.g. Camus ~100
    Influence: e.g. Plato ~100
    Controversy: e.g. Nietzsche ~100
    Baden

It's downright scary that it took you less than twenty words to describe, like, 90% of the process for BA/MSc/PhD thesis/dissertation selection in academic philosophy.

The only topic I'd think about adding (maybe including in "output"?) is breadth of topics covered. I think one reason why there have been so many Aristotelians / Kantians / Hegelians, etc. (as opposed to, say, Schopenhauerians) is that they cover all the big topics--metaphysics, logic, ontology, ethics, political philosophy, philosophy of science, etc.--so people can have a philosophical hero who is their trump card in *all* philosophy conversations, no matter the area.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.