• T Clark
    maroon ends in n not cMr Phil O'Sophy

I'm assuming you can't say "moron" either.
  • T Clark
    Palimpsest - Originally parchment from which the original writing was scraped so it could be reused such that traces of the original could still be seen. Now, more broadly, something, usually text or image, which is changed or removed but where the original can still be seen.T Clark

89ozjoin7j7f09ot.jpg

6zte0vj94tpa3t7d.jpg

pr3qgl9vkym4vu0r.jpg

tvw7z4mkzgv95k4v.jpg
  • T Clark
    Words of the day. Tuesday 3/20/18.

Some words from foreign languages.

Sui generis - from Latin - In a class by itself. I always use this word when I want to show people how smart I am.

Colour - A misspelling of "color."

Ukase - an Italian legal term - "Izzata ukase?"

Cul de sac - a dead end street, but so much classier. Who would want to live on a dead end street? Who wouldn't want to live on a cul de sac. Literally "bottom of the sack."

About - Canadian - Answer to the question "What's that on your foot?"

Putz - from Yiddish. Stupid person. Penis. "Where are you going?" "I'm going to work on my putz."

Kvetch - also from Yiddish. To complain or someone who complains. "Hey, Agustino, stop kvetching."
  • S
    Colour - A misspelling of "color."T Clark

I won't endeavour to correct you on that one.
  • Streetlight
    Because I just so happened to use it:

Desanguinate: to remove the blood; to drain one of blood or hope. Or it's opposite -

Ensanguination: to stain with blood, to make of something a blood-red colour. Both derivatives of -

Sanguine: hopeful, social, full-blooded or blood-red in colour. Can have religious connotations as well, as when one speaks of de sanguine Christi, the blood of Christ, hence Dali's "Christ (Sanguine)":

Salvador_Dali_Christ_Sanguine_1964.jpg
  • T Clark
    Sanguine: hopeful, social, full-blooded or blood-red in colour. Can have religious connotations as well, as when one speaks of de sanguine Christi, the blood of Christ, hence Dali's "Christ (Sanguine)":StreetlightX

From the same root as "sangria."
  • T Clark
    Words of the Day 3/21/18

Some "E" words.

Eccentric - I like this word. It goes two ways. 1) Describes a person who's behavior is unconventional and maybe a bit odd. 2) Also describes a physical phenomenon when an action or force does not act through the center of an object and puts a moment, twist, on it. If you're designing a foundation for an eccentric load, you have to take into account that the maximum load on the soil might be higher than you'd otherwise think and also that you have to design the concrete and steel to resist bending moments. I like the way the two meanings interact in my mind.

Ecumenical - Addressing common issues and beliefs among differing Christian churches. More broadly, it's sometimes used to refer to an approach that tries to bring differing parties together.

Eleemosynary - Another word I would never use except in a discussion of words. Means "charitable."

Eldritch - Weird, dreadful, fearsome. A word that H.P. Lovecraft loved.

Echidna - Something else odd from Australia. Egg laying mammals. Monotremata. Not the same as marsupials.
  • Streetlight
    Yep! Also sangiovese, one of my favourite drops of red. Also also - and this is the religious reference I was actually looking for but couldn't remember - it's the root of 'holy grail', sang-real, or 'royal blood'.
  • T Clark
    Word of the Day - March 23, 2018

Ratiocination - What we're supposed to be doing here - The act of forming judgments by a process of logic; reason.

I've gotten in arguments about pronunciation "rat e o sination" or "rosh e o sination." I think both are correct. I like the second better.
  • T Clark
    DefenestrationRené Descartes

I love that word. I wonder why. Probably because I never would have thought we needed a word for chucking people out the window. And then, of course, there's the Defenestration of Prague. I don't remember why they did it. I do remember that the defenestrees didn't die. What's the point then? I do remember where it happened. Bucharest, right?
  • T Clark
    not sure about Bucharest though.René Descartes

Made that up. Really - how often do people throw other people out of windows?
  • Noble Dust
    Malaprop is nice; especially in the context of the forum.
  • Noble Dust
    Oooo, aso, liminal. Liminal is...liminal.
  • T Clark
    Malaprop is nice; especially in the context of the forum.Noble Dust

I was surprised to find that Norm Crosby is still alive.

• T Clark
    Oooo, aso, liminal. Liminal is...liminal.Noble Dust

So...use it in a sentence.
  • T Clark
    It should happen more often, then we would be able to use defenestrate more often.René Descartes

My favorite defenstration:

A secondary definition is "remove or dismiss (someone) from a position of power or authority." There have been lots of opportunities to use that here in the US recently.
  • Maw
    Oriflamme: any flag, banner or standard, especially one that serves as a rallying point or symbol.
  • Baden

:up: Didn't know that one.

Perambulation.

1: travelling over or through especially on foot : traverse
    2 : making an official inspection of (a boundary) on foot
  • charleton
    Malaprop is nice; especially in the context of the forum.Noble Dust

Not as good as a Spoonerism!
    Perambulation.Baden

That's the poor cousin of peregrination.
  • charleton
    My favorite defenstration:T Clark

I think the child went voluntarily. Don't think that counts
  • T Clark
    I think the child went voluntarily. Don't think that countscharleton

Rather than make a lexicological argument, it's my discussion and I say it counts!!!
  • T Clark
    Words of the Day - March 25, 2018

Some good compound word insults.

Bonehead - A stupid person

Knucklehead - The definition in the dictionary is the same as for "bonehead" but they certainly have different feels about them, which is what's important with synonyms. If they don't have different tones, what's the point? To me, knucklehead is more affectionate, has more a feeling of silliness rather than just stupidity.

Meathead - Same definition, but for those of us of a certain age, it has special meaning.

Shithead - I it's meaning is self-evident. Again special meaning for some of us. Colonel Scheisskopf is a character from "Catch 22" which was very influential for some of us who grew up in the 60s. Our introduction to irony and cynicism.

While we're at it, "Catch 22" is another good word. One of the best. It's a word that is ruined by explanation. Read the book.
  • Noble Dust
    Not as good as a Spoonerismcharleton

Nah, malaprop is better.
  • T Clark
    Nah, malaprop is better.Noble Dust

As the final arbiter, I say "malaprop" wins. Of course, my decision is affected by Charleton's quibble about "defenestration."
  • charleton
    I think Doble Nust is wompletely crong!
  • charleton
    Oooo, aso, liminal. Liminal is...liminal.Noble Dust

Love spiminal lace!!
  • Baden
    I was surprised to find that Norm Crosby is still alive.T Clark

Funny name for a lobster.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.