• T Clark
    I do not drink alcoholTimeLine

I can drink because I'm not a slave to reason. Although it is my understanding that Kant drank heavily. Or maybe I just made that up.
  • Noble Dust
    I'm partial to all of these words:

"Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

“Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
    The frumious Bandersnatch!”

He took his vorpal sword in hand;
    Long time the manxome foe he sought—
    So rested he by the Tumtum tree
    And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
    The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
    Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
    And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
    The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    He left it dead, and with its head
    He went galumphing back.

“And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
    Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
    O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!”
    He chortled in his joy.

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe."

-Jabberwocky, Lewis Carroll
  • Baden

:clap: :100:
  • Noble Dust

I'm just now realizing how profound this poem was for me since childhood as I re-read it. The way that words that have no real meaning convey a story is a parallel to how music works, and to how I write both music and words....yeah, anyway
  • T Clark
    -Jabberwocky, Lewis CarrollNoble Dust

Great words. Great poem. As with many spoken things, the way it feels in my mouth is as important as how it sounds or what it means.
  • S
    ...the way it feels in my mouth...T Clark

:snicker:
  • T Clark
    Word of the day - March 18, 2018

Pugnacious - Eager or quick to argue, quarrel, or fight.

For me, this word has eveything. I like pugnacious people. Sound - Emphasize the "P" and it sounds aggressive. Feels good to say. Visual

Mops-duke-mopszucht-vom-maegdebrunnen.jpg
  • T Clark
    ...the way it feels in my mouth...
    — T Clark

:snicker:
    Sapientia

@CuddlyHedgehog is right. You need some help with your witty repartee.
  • S
    CuddlyHedgehog is right.T Clark

You mean, you're not my number one fan? :gasp:
  • T Clark
    You mean, you're not my number one fan?Sapientia

Everyone knows who your #1 fan is.
  • S
    Fangbaby?
  • T Clark
    bumberclatTimeLine

Bumberclat, from the web - A Jamaican curse word which literally means "buttocks cloth." It refers to a dirty cloth used to wipe your bottom probably after you have used the toilet.

I am honored both by the addition of a worthy new word and by it's use in reference to me.
  • TimeLine
    I am honored both by the addition of a worthy new word and by it's use in reference to me.T Clark

Your standards change when sober, I guess. :confused: Some foreign words seems to have better ways to describe things then we could ever in the English language. Right now, this is my favourite word:

Forelsket: The indescribable euphoria experienced as you begin to fall in love.

I think I kind of miss the idea of loving someone. It is a pretty amazing feeling, wanting to take of yourself, to make yourself attractive. I miss it because I haven't felt it for a long time.

Mamihlapinatapei: The wordless, meaningful look shared by two people who both desire to initiate something, but are both reluctant to do so.

Kilig: The feeling of butterflies in your stomach, usually when something romantic takes place.

Toska: A sensation of great spiritual anguish, often without a specific cause; a longing with nothing to long for.

Fernweh: Feeling homesick for a place you have never been to.
  • T Clark
    Some foreign words seems to have better ways to describe things then we could ever in the English language.TimeLine

I say this without criticism or irony - I am thankful to be of an age when I am unlikely to experience any of these again. What language or languages?
  • charleton
    My word of the day is LITERALLY.
    My blood literally boils when someone misuses it.
  • charleton
    I say this without criticism or irony - I am thankful to be of an age when I am unlikely to experience any of these again. What language or languages?T Clark

The wonderful thing about English is that is there is not a word to describe something we invent one or borrow one.
    English is a smorgansbord! A veritable meze of tapas delights.
  • charleton
    In fact I've no need to remain anonymous or ask for loot if I were to claim to be a guru on a word safari. Just buy me a cigar, make a cartoon of my wanderlust to search for words as if they were cookies
  • TimeLine
    I say this without criticism or irony - I am thankful to be of an age when I am unlikely to experience any of these again. What language or languages?T Clark

Stop being such an ageist. Besides, I am of the fruitful age of fruitfullness. Is that word?
  • S
    My word of the day - or perhaps even the year - would be: "wat".

As in:

If one examines semanticist capitalism, one is faced with a choice: either reject subcapitalist desublimation or conclude that the collective is elitist, but only if language is equal to truth; otherwise, sexual identity, paradoxically, has objective value. It could be said that the subject is contextualised into a feminism that includes reality as a reality.

wat
  • T Clark
    Stop being such an ageist. Besides, I am of the fruitful age of fruitfullness. Is that word?TimeLine

Not ageist, wistful. A sense of what I've lost and what I've gained, how it balances out, and what comes next for you.
  • S
    I prefer "wut".Noble Dust

wat
  • T Clark
    "P" Words of the day - March 19, 2018

Most of these are words I never use except when I'm talking about words.

Palimpsest - Originally parchment from which the original writing was scraped so it could be reused such that traces of the original could still be seen. Now, more broadly, something, usually text or image, which is changed or removed but where the original can still be seen.

Portmanteau - Originally, and still, a leather suitcase. Now also "a word blending the sounds and combining the meanings of two others, for example motel (from ‘motor’ and ‘hotel’) or brunch (from ‘breakfast’ and ‘lunch’)."

Pontificate - When the Pope just won't stop talking. No, seriously. Well, not quite. Anyway - "to speak or express opinions in a pompous or dogmatic way." From the same latin root as "Pontiff."

Phantom - A word with personal meaning for me. Means an apparition, ghost. There used to be, may still be, a comic in the newspaper called The Phantom. The Phantom was a superhero of sorts, more like Batman than Superman. No super powers, just strong and clever. If I remember correctly, the stories took place in Africa. He wore a purple suit and hood with a black mask. I used to read the comic everyday. I remember saying the name to myself - "pon'tom", like "pompom." One day I heard someone say the correct pronunciation. I remember feeling relieved I had never said it out loud to anyone else. Such is the exciting childhood of T Clark.

Palindrome - or "palinilap" as we like to say.

Popinjay - Someone who thinks highly of themselves and shows it.

Podiatrist - running out of "P" words.
  • T Clark
    3. Aubergine- also fun to sayMr Phil O'Sophy

I loved this word until I realized it means "eggplant."
  • T Clark
    still a fun wordMr Phil O'Sophy

And a wonderful color.
  • T Clark
    Special secret Word of the Day for Monday, March 19, 2018.

The, one of the, words that shall not be spoken.

M____c - Very foolish or stupid.
  • T Clark
    maroon ends in n not c :chin:Mr Phil O'Sophy

I tried. You can't say the word that ends in "n," not "c" either.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.