• Benkei
    The implication being she's a bitch otherwise it couldn't be cannibalism, right?
  • praxis

Sure, but MAGA folk don't do implication good. For instance, what does Trump traveling to the 9/11 memorial with a 9/11 conspiracy theorist imply? It appears to imply that he's literally onboard the plane with QAnonish alternative realities. I think he's onboard with such realities because, like a religious authority, it allows him to be the ultimate arbiter of truth. If he says that he won the debate, for example, then that is the truth. If he says that he won the election then that is the truth.
  • Fooloso4
    For instance, what does Trump traveling to the 9/11 memorial with a 9/11 conspiracy theorist imply?praxis

Great question and observation. This allows him to say something without using words while leaving him an out. Having an out is very important to him. He can just deny that he believes what she says, but why bring her?
  • Paine

We are getting footage confirming the carnage:
  • praxis

It is remarkable that the conservative landscape in America is so bereft of meaning that someone like Trump could be a modern day Mr. Bumble.
  • Paine

The burst into the dining room with all the food is Trumpier than Trump himself. Desperate hunger portrayed as barbarity.
  • NOS4A2
    Another apparent assassination attempt.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/trump-harris-election-09-15-24/index.html

We’re reaching peak anti-Trumpism. The moral panic only escalates until the absurdity is realized or the threat is neutralized.
  • Tzeentch
    Interesting. In that case the establishment must still be fearing a Trump victory, despite what 'the polls' show. :chin:
  • praxis
    The establishment:

GXjOxqwXcAAan7W.jpeg
  • Tzeentch
    Whether they staged a hit or groomed an extremist isn't really all that significant. They're capable of both. The idea that enemies of the establishment coincidentally happen to befall bad fates is just about as naive as one can get.
  • Baden

Dick Cheney has lost a lot of weight.
  • Wayfarer
    I presume that shooter understands that he’ll spend most of the rest of his life in federal prison. What a fool.
  • Benkei
    Hopefully it's cancer.
  • Baden

Let\s not be mean to Dick. He's already going to prison for life. :party:
  • Mikie
    These people who keep trying to kill Trump must really hate the establishment. Since Trump is the embodiment of the establishment, he’s an easy target.

Anyway, look forward to this being forgotten in 48 hours.
  • tim wood
    Usually murdering someone is unthinkable, and thus Trump has got a pass from what is by now tens of thousands of people he has victimized - and really it is a wonder that no one in his long toxic career has taken him down even if only by making very reasonable blue-collar-type threats. Of course maybe some have and we just don't know of it. But now a couple of people have made the unthinkable thinkable in an everyday sort of way.

A short speech from near the start of The Tempest comes to mind.

"GONZALO I have great comfort from this fellow. Methinks
    he hath no drowning mark upon him. His
    complexion is perfect gallows. Stand fast, good
    Fate, to his hanging. Make the rope of his destiny
    our cable, for our own doth little advantage. If he be
    not born to be hanged, our case is miserable."

And I would have it this way, that justice have its way and make such an example of him that his name itself become for a century a byword of justice imposed. Like Quisling or Petain or Benedict Arnold. But it may be that someone, one of many, will see the matter through on his own terms, and who will say then that justice was not served? But the evil of such things is that one unthinkable act grooms another - and that part of the toxic legacy of a toxic person. The remedy a stiff and inexorable dose of justice.
  • praxis
    The idea that enemies of the establishment coincidentally happen to befall bad fates is just about as naive as one can get.Tzeentch

This may be a silly question but why is Trump the enemy of the establishment?
  • Paine
    With the addition of Lara Loomer to the Trump Brain Trust, a wide disparity is revealed in the skillsets of the Deep State Provocateurs on hand to do the dirty deeds.

My ninety-year-old mother is still a better shot than the kid was in Pennsylvania. The Florida dude looks like he was angling for Bill Murray's role in Caddyshack. These efforts are a far cry from the work of 9/11 and 1/6.
  • Tzeentch
    Well, everyone in Washington seems to hate his guts.
  • praxis

Huh? Two thirds of Republicans in Washington support the “big lie,” and pretty much the rest kowtow to his every whim.

Isn’t everyone supposed to hate Kamala, btw?
  • Tzeentch
    I should probably have put that differently.

European media exclusively reports negatively on Trump, and that's given me the impression everyone hates his guts. That's the main reason why I feel that he's running against the establishment. He doesn't have any influence in the media in Europe, whereas the US establishment certainly does.
  • praxis

I don’t get it. If the US establishment hates Trump and they control the media then wouldn’t all US news be fake news (news unflattering to Trump)?
  • Tzeentch
    All US news being fake news is kind of a given, regardless of whether it's unflattering to Trump or not. European news doesn't do much better either, truth be told.
  • praxis

You forgot to explain how there can be US news which flatters Trump if the establishment controls US News and hates him.
  • Tzeentch
    I don't recall ever making the argument that the US establishment controls all news.
  • praxis

How about an argument that right-wing news isn’t controlled by the establishment.
  • Tzeentch
    I don't watch US news, so I wouldn't know about that. 'Right-wing' news barely exists in my country. It's mostly establishment-owned, not really 'left-wing' or 'right-wing', just patently bullshit propaganda.
  • praxis

Oil tycoons, corporations, and interest groups finance Trumps political campaign and lobby for policies favorable to their interests. We’ve just established that there’s influential US media that favors Trump. Trump has been involved in politics for at least 25 years, having first run for office in 2000. He was president for four years. How is he not part of the establishment? What did he do during his term in office that disrupted the establishment?
  • Benkei
    There's plenty of right wing news in NL. Telegraaf, geenstijl, nieuw rechts, FD, dagelijkse standaard and AD. Parool and NRC are relatively conservative and I suppose Volkskrant and Trouw are a bit more leftist. But from where I'm standing most of it is pretty centrist and conforming to economic truisms and political safety.

We also have decent investigative journalism with the Correspondent, Follow the Money, Nieuwsuur and Investico.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.