• Michael Ossipoff
    I'd said:

If you can't say for sure that that's true, then any claim about all of Reality is questionable.

You replied:
    That's what I mean. Radical doubt is, must be, painful to philosophers because it undermines everything, from their axioms to their logic.TheMadFool

But I was just referring to doubt about the controversial claim that all of Reality is discussable and describable.

I wouldn't say that logic is in doubt.

I claim that uncontroversial things can be said about metaphysics, and that much about what is, is unontroversially discussable, describable. That discussable, describable domain of what is (other than the physical sciences), I refer to as metaphysics.

But sure, all assumptions should be subject to question, and radical doubt, skepticism, is the right approach to philosophy.

For example, I suggest that people be skeptical about Materialism's big brute-fact.

Michael Ossipoff
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.