• Noble Dust

Yes, that's an example of what I mean.
  • BC
    Imagination would be decidedly helpful in getting through the 1000 year stretch, but imagination has to have something to work on. Think about how you would imagine the pleasures of sex if you had never had sex, or never seen or heard a depiction of sex. One's fantasy would be kind of impoverished.

So. therefore, get as many experiences as you can of all kinds, real, read, or heard about. Then you will have more raw material for the reactors of your imagination.
  • BC
    all emotion does is cloud the issueSam26

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office than to serve and obey them. David Hume

The mainspring that runs our brain is the limbic system (the emotions) not the pre-frontal cortex (our center of reasoning). Moral education is more the instruction of the passions than the instruction of reason.
  • Sam26
    It doesn't matter to me that reason tends to be a slave of our passions, which is probably true in many cases. But logic, which is the study of correct reasoning using propositions, it's a study that is devoid of emotional content in terms of the rules of logic. Logic doesn't care whether you're happy or sad, it doesn't care how you feel about the facts. Facts are facts apart from how you or I feel. If I say there is a glass on the table, your emotional state has nothing to do with the objective truth of the statement. Thus, my conclusion either matches with a particular state-of-affairs (a fact), or it doesn't.

Emotional states, which many use to guide their reason, can only lead astray. This is why there is so many irrational beliefs in religion, politics, ethics, etc., etc.

Moral education is about one's ethical duty apart from how you feel about moral right and wrong. Your subjective passions, which many use to guide their reason, are not what makes something moral or immoral. Abortion is a good example, it's the passions on both sides that cloud the issue.
  • bahman

I believe that life is continuous so you will have a new body when you die.
  • bahman
    You're not paying attention. There is no heaven, as well as no media outlets or bookstores, fine restaurants, or sex organs. That's why you need to store up as many memories as you can now. Have you read Thackeray? Dostoyevsky? Are you having as much sex as possible so that you will have as many happy memories as possible? Are you eating up-market and better tasting hot dogs?Bitter Crank

Why do you think that you will have a memory after death?
  • Michael Ossipoff
    I believe that life is continuous so you will have a new body when you die.bahman

Probably so. Contrary to popular belief, it's probably a better default presumption is its negative.

I mean, we're here, and whatever the reason for that is, and if that reason continues to obtain at the end of our life, then what does that suggest?

Michael Ossipoff
  • BC
    It doesn't matter to me that reason tends to be a slave of our passionsSam26

You may be giving the "passions" too negative a spin; they are not the 7 deadly sins. After all, your desire to pursue logic above all else, is a passion. The satisfaction of achieving logical argument, and the pleasure you take in doing logic, thinking about logic, are passions.

Of course, the passions can lead one astray; logic isn't fool proof either. But both passion and logical reasoning can lead us along the right paths.
  • BC
    so you will have a new body when you die.bahman

Good to know. Looking forward to it. Is there an option package?
  • Buxtebuddha
    You'll get an even cooler beard.
  • Sam26
    You're missing the point. I'm not saying that passion is intrinsically bad. I'm saying that passion has nothing to do with the conclusion of a well-reasoned argument. My passion to pursue philosophy can be a good thing, but that's different from saying passion is somehow important to drawing a proper conclusion. That's similar to saying that passion is important to the answer of what is 2x2=?. What's important to logic or mathematics is that you know how to apply the rules that lead to correct outcomes. I can have all the passion in the world and that in itself wouldn't make me good at logic or mathematics. My passion may make me study harder, in which case I may become a better logician, but that again is a separate issue.
  • bahman
    Good to know. Looking forward to it. Is there an option package?Bitter Crank

It is like of advance body, it takes different shapes. I know this from communication with deceased persons.
  • MathematicalPhysicist

Eternity is longer than 1000 years... just saying you know.
  • Uneducated Pleb
    That's similar to saying that passion is important to the answer of what is 2x2=?.Sam26
    What does it matter what the answer is? Who cares?

You are saying passion is not needed to solve the equation, knowledge of the rules and order of operations are needed to solve it. I think what the others (and myself in agreement) are saying is: You have to care about learning the rules in the first place, care about working out the answer, care about whether you get it correct or not and if not, then care about getting it corrected.
1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet