• Ansiktsburk
    Used to be a quite active member there. Good, fully phpbb supported forum site with loads of good discussions. Very active. It was down for a while, just logged into it. It was no problem doing that but noone seems to have been posting there for months. It was like stepping into something similar to Tjernobyl. Is it active or is it not? Seems to be possible to post.
  • Baden

It died (or was murdered to be more accurate). Many of the old regulars are here now though, so if you look around you're likely to recognize a few.
  • Ansiktsburk
    But... it seems alive! Why does not anyone go back? This forum does not seem as full-fledged at least technically (no forum engine running it?) as the phpBB Philosophy Forums.
  • Akanthinos

It was sold when someone made a ridiculous offer.
    The people who bought it had no intention to maintain it or keep it running, just declaring it as a loss.
    You can log-in but your posts are swallowed whole in the nether and the site doesn't update the threads.
  • Baden

We've got all the fledgedness we need here as far as I'm concerned, but forum software is a matter of taste I guess. However, if it's not being dead you're after primarily then you're in the right place.
  • BC
    The old forum moulders in its grave as The Ungrateful Dead. Don't hang around there. You may find a thread you are in suddenly collapses into a subbasement with NO EXIT. The monsters of the past lurk in untended prisons. Ghouls and zombies lurk in dark corners. It is as thoroughly contaminated by filthy lucre as Tsjernobyl is by radiation.

Abandon hope all ye who enter there.

Any other questions?

And welcome to this fine successor.
  • Michael
    The old forum wasn't phpBB. It was WSN Forum (and this one is PlushForums). It was sold to a company that many of us didn't trust, and the prospect of ads wasn't appreciated either. @jamalrob set up this place for us to move to, the old forum broke ("access denied" errors whenever you try to view a discussion), and the new owners appeared to have ignored (or forgotten) it despite repeated contact by the old owner offering to fix it for them.
  • Streetlight
    There is no thinking there therefore it is not.
  • T Clark
    There is no thinking there therefore it is not.StreetlightX

I like that. We'll use our philosophy chops to address the old forum. How about this:

You are on a bridge standing next to the old forum and looking down. TPF is working on a trolley track and you see a train coming toward it. TPF doesn't see the trolley and the conductor doesn't see TPF. Do you push the old forum onto the tracks to stop the train or let it continue to crush TPF? What if it were TPF and President Trumps twitter feed?
  • Baden

Yes to old forum, Twitter feed or even Trump himself. :)
  • Minyun
    ...and who was this untrustworthy buyer pray tell?
  • BC
    ↪Bitter Crank ...and who was this untrustworthy buyer pray tell?Minyun

I don't know. The sale was private -- the old forum site was owned by an individual (Paul); somebody bought the site for unknown reasons and then let it languish. This one is owned by Jamalrob. "Somebody" has to own the site -- as far as I know, there is no such thing as a sovereign URL. Corporations are persons, but URLs haven't reached that status yet.
  • Michael
    I don't know. The sale was privateBitter Crank

It was bought by this guy: https://angel.co/innovate
  • BC
    It was bought by this guy: https://angel.co/innovateMichael

And a fine job of innovation the angel did. Maybe he was working for Trump.
  • Necuno
    I don't know. The sale was private -- the old forum site was owned by an individual (Paul); somebody bought the site for unknown reasons and then let it languish. This one is owned by Jamalrob. "Somebody" has to own the site -- as far as I know, there is no such thing as a sovereign URL. Corporations are persons, but URLs haven't reached that status yet.

Corporations are artificial persons for legal purposes only. As to whether natural persons are sovereign or ever were, that is a fascinating discussion for probably another thread. In any event, corporations are not sovereign (for example, under Max Weber's classic definition of sovereignty) and therefore if URLs reach the status of corporations, they probably won't be sovereign.
  • BC
    I agree with you, but I was just joking about URLs becoming persons.
  • Necuno
    Poe's Law. :smile:
  • S
    Poe's Law. :smile:Necuno

I prefer Cole's Law. But not too much mayonnaise.

Baden, stop making bad jokes.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    Im curious and wanted to take a head count. Who on this forum used the old philosophy forums (that was a great site), and who were you. I already recognize some of you if name changed.

I was geebus.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I was geebus.Merkwurdichliebe

My nickname at PF was a twist on Tiff. Before I jumped the proverbial track I was SittinWSocratesTiff. I learned my moves from the coolest cat around Mayor of Simpleton :sparkle:
    There are a few here with different nicknames but not many. Most retained their original nicknames.
  • S
    I was geebus.Merkwurdichliebe

No one remembers you. But hello.
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    No one remembers you — S

I assume you are one of these no one's you speak for.

All I can say is: what do I care if a bunch of nobodies remember me
  • S
    I assume you are one of these no one's you speak for.

All I can say is: what do I care if a bunch of nobodies remember me?
    Merkwurdichliebe

"No one" is the name of my cat. I was saying that she remembers you.

But no one else does.

Hello!
  • Merkwurdichliebe
    "No one" is the name of my cat. I was saying that she remembers you. — S

I'm content with that, afterall, I love pussy
  • S
    I'm content with that, afterall, I love pussyMerkwurdichliebe

Then you'll love @Noah Te Stroete.

And hello.Merkwurdichliebe

Hello.
  • RegularGuy
    Then you'll love Noah Te Stroete.S

Not as much as he’s gonna love your tits!
  • Michael
    Who on this forum used the old philosophy forums (that was a great site), and who were you.Merkwurdichliebe

I was awesome.

Still am, but also was.
  • Suto
    Its totaly down.
  • Caldwell
    Is it really down? I haven't visited it.
    But I should reopen my account there and be an active member again.
    Unfortunately, I'm very busy to even sustain a thread.
    I have been trying to renew my commitment to philosophical discussions. I have acquired new books and even read up at work during break. Also, I've lost my little library -- a tiny collection of philosophy books. Which I wish to rebuild when I have the time.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.