• Baden

Cheers I'll take a look at a sample anyhow or I may be able to get the pdf somewhere.
  • T Clark
    In another thread, @Wayfarer recommended the following book - Baggott, Jim. Farewell to Reality: How Modern Physics Has Betrayed the Search for Scientific Truth (p. 8). Pegasus Books.

It was really helpful. It is broken into two parts - the authorized story and the realm where Baggot thinks physics has gone off the tracks. The part I liked best was the first. His explanations of the Standard Model, the Higgs field and boson, symmetry breaking, and the evidence for the Big Bang and Dark Matter answered questions that have bothered me for a long time.

His writing is clear and simple but not too simple. He shows enthusiasm for science without any Gee Whiz.
  • Baden
    Umberto Eco: Semiotics and the Philosophy of Language
  • darthbarracuda
    The Tragic Sense of Life by Miguel de Unamuno
  • anChored tRain
    Just finished reading Urantia Book
    Now reading:
    The Art of Loving by Erich Fromm
  • StreetlightX
    Matthew Warren - Balckout: How Is Energy-Rich Australia Running Out of Electricity?
    Patchen Markell - Bound By Recognition
  • StreetlightX
    Joseph Carew - Ontological Catastrophe: Zizek and the Paradoxical Metaphysics of German Idealism

Started this yesterday and I'm 2/3s through. It is fantastic.
  • Baden
    Marx - Capital Vol 1 (Reread)
  • nanashi nogombe
    The Plague of Fantasies - Slavoj Žižek
  • 180 Proof
    september readings:

Incontinence of the Void, Slavoj Žižek
    Strange Economics, eds. David F. Schultz et al
    Realm of Lesser Evil, Jean-Claude Michea
    The Underground Railroad, Colson Whitehead
    Less Than Human, David Livingston Smith
    This Way For The Gas, Ladies and Gentlemen, Tadeusz Borowski
  • Baden

'bout time you showed up. :up: :cool:
  • Saphsin
    I spend virtually all my time in the past 2 years on politics these days, in particular North Korea peace issues because that's what I've been involved in. But here are some stuff I've read that people here may be interested in:

Social Evolution, Political Psychology, and the Media in Democracy: The Invisible Hand in the U.S. Marketplace of Ideas - Peter Beattie

Capitalism vs. Freedom: The Toll Road to Serfdom - Rob Larson

No Less Than Mystic: A History of Lenin and the Russian Revolution for a 21st-Century Left - John Medhurst

Korea: Where the American Century Began - Michael Pembroke

Energy: A Human History - Richard Rhodes

A Bright Future: How Some Countries Have Solved Climate Change and the Rest Can Follow - Joshua Goldstein, Staffan A. Qvist

Whole Earth Discipline: An Ecopragmatist Manifesto - Stewart Brand

Philosophy and Climate Science - Eric Winsberg (more technical than I thought)

Nonsense on Stilts 2nd Edition - Massimo Pigliucci
  • StreetlightX
    Hanna Pitkin - The Concept of Representation
    Gilles Deleuze - Masochism: Coldness and Cruelty (includes Leopold von Sacher-Masoch's Venus in Furs)

--

:cheer: 'sup!

Some really interesting looking stuff here.
  • 180 Proof

Well - long time no dialectic! Your lists, man, are still as monstrously inspiring as I remember ... :wink:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.