• Maw
    The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  • frank
    The Enneads by Plotinus
    Little Dorrit
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman
  • darthbarracuda
    On the Fourfold Root of the Principle of Sufficient Reason by Arthur Schopenhauer.
  • Maw
    @StreetlightX any books about Time that you would recommend? Anything general would be great, but also specific to a Marxist interpretation would be of interest as well. I'm reading E.P. Thompson's paper on Time, Work-Discipline and Industrial Capitalism, and it's fascinating.
  • StreetlightX
    Hmm, I've never really approached questions of time 'directly' - generally it's through other lenses (X's or Y's take on time) - and there's nothing I know that is quite so 'concrete/historical' as anything Thompson would have written. The closest thing I can think of is a great essay by Isabelle Stengers and Didier Gille on time keeping devices and their social effects (look in your PMs!).

Otherwise, David Couzens Hoy's The Time of Our Lives is a great overview of different 'continental' approaches to time which I really like.

Elizabeth Grosz's two books, The Nick of Time and Time Travels, might be somewhat closer to what you've looking for, but they're more 'how to think about time and politics', and again, not anything like that Thompson essay (also, they're both essay collections themselves).

Henri Lefevbe's Rhythmanalysis might be even closer (Lefebvre being a Marxist sociologist), but it's a short book that deals more with rhythm than it does with 'time' as such.

Errr, otherwise, there's Poalo Virno's Déjà Vu and the End of History which I haven't read, but looks very much like something that matches what you're after.

Sciency-wise there's Lee Smolin's Time Reborn and Ilya Prigogine's The End of Certainty, which are superb (no politics at all!).

My last reccomendation might seem strange but is one of my favorite books I've ever read and has influenced me massively when thinking about time - Martin Hagglund's Radical Atheism: Derrida and the Time of Life, which strictly speaking is a (very clear!) reading of Derrida on time, but which I think is absolutely super as a stand-alone book on time in general.

But yeah, this is all a very random scattering of things off the top of my head. Time is always something I've approached 'sideways on', so these recc's may not be the best/most relevant, but yeah.
  • StreetlightX
    Paolo Virno - A Grammar of the Multitude: For an Analysis of Contemporary Forms of Life
    Giorgio Agamben - The Use of Bodies (The ninth and final book of the Homo Sacer series!)
  • StreetlightX
    Mark Fisher - Capitalist Realism
    Paolo Virno - When The Word Becomes Flesh: Language and Human Nature
    Paolo Virno - Essay on Negation: For a Linguistic Anthropology
  • darthbarracuda
    Varieties of Religious Experience by William James
    After Finitude by Quentin Meillassoux (re-read, never finished previously)
    The Basic Kafka by Kafka
    The Trouble With Being Born & Drawn and Quartered by Cioran
  • Maw
    :up: for Cioran and AF

Capital V2 by Marx
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.