• Pantagruel
    Swords of Mars (Barsoom, #8)
    by Edgar Rice Burroughs,
  • javi2541997
    Humiliated and Insultedjavi2541997

10/10. Excellent. Dostoevsky never disappoints me. This time, the synopsis is about ethical dilemmas which are around familiar crises. Curiously, Dostoevsky didn't refer to religious themes in this novel. I can say the plot is 'secular' if we compare it with other of his works.

Currently reading: The Fratricides, Nikos Kazantzakis.
  • Paine
    Curiously, Dostoevsky didn't refer to religious themes in this novel. I can say the plot is 'secular' if we compare it with other of his works.javi2541997

I think of the difference between the religious and the psychological as a dynamic that plays different roles in different novels. When comparing The Idiot to The Brothers Karamazov, for instance, the differences collide but never resolve into a single measure of experience. The psychological, by itself, does not have all of the same problems.
  • javi2541997
    I agree. Every Dostoevsky novel has a specific ethical and existentialist dilemma. Another good example is Crime and Punishment. There are Christian themes in this novel, but it is notorious the psychological dynamic of how the main character starts behaving with 'rationality' and then, as the pages proceed, he goes with a sense of sordid despair and irrationality. I remember a very good quote from the novel: Am I a victim of circumstances or do I create them? ...

Yet a common topic I find about Dostoevsky is familiar issues. He also puts orphans in his novels. Smerdiakov - an illegitimate son - in The Brothers Karamazov and Nelly (Ieliena) in Injured and Insulted, etc.

I guess this is due to the culture of Russia and one of the basic points of Christianity (which is the family).
  • 180 Proof
    https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/comment/897768

Remembering Daniel Dennett 1942-2024 (whom I had the honor of meeting after public lectures in 1987 (Boston) and 1994 (Minneapolis)), I'm rereading ...

Darwin's Dangerous Idea
    • Mind's I
    (w/ D. Hofstadter)
    Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon
    • Inside Jokes: Using Humor to Reverse Engineer the Mind

... for now.
  • Pantagruel
    The Mucker (Mucker #1)
    by Edgar Rice Burroughs
  • Maw
    Revolutionary Jews From Spinoza to Marx: The Fight for A Secular World of Universal and Equal Rights by Jonathan Israel
  • 180 Proof
    Revolutionary Jews From Spinoza to Marx: The Fight for A Secular World of Universal and Equal Rights by Jonathan IsraelMaw
    :up:
  • bert1
    "A long way down" by Nick Hornby. Funny. I lol'd.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.