• frank
    Reddit is like an ocean where this place is like a pond. Both have advantages. The main advantage of this place is that you people know one another. You have a connection that actually has nothing to do with philosophy. You're just friends.

I would advise you to work with that instead of trying to be something you aren't. You should put the shoutbox back on the front page, for instance. Pond syndrome will keep you from listening to what I'm trying to tell you though. Oh well.
  • Baden
    If we set the bar higher, we wouldn't attract as many good members. But we've got the bar set high enough that we keep people who make high quality posts, even if we end up posting in cliques.fdrake

There may be a case for a "Suggestions for improvement" thread though. Kind of a Kaizen for the community. We're limited in what we can do with the software and with modding but we could be exploring other avenues for improvement in a more systematic way.
  • fdrake
    There may be a case for a "Suggestions for improvement" thread though. Kind of a Kaizen for the community. We're limited in what we can do with the software and with modding but we could be exploring other avenues for improvement in a more systematic way.Baden

Everyone wants super high quality near-publishable content, but no one ever has the time to produce it.
  • Baden

Oh, I don't mean about quality content. Quality is OK in my view. I mean things like attracting guest speakers or getting more articles up or whatever.
  • fdrake
    Oh, I don't mean about quality content. Quality is OK in my view. I mean things like attracting guest speakers or getting more articles up or whatever.Baden

Yeah that's true. Think we're at a size where we can make it worth their while?
  • Baden

I think it might be worth a pop. All it takes is a few emails.
  • Jamal
    Scruton?
  • Baden
    I only do wishy-washy leftist liberal. I'd probably invite Obama or some other useless prick like that.
  • Frank Apisa
    The place is a delight...especially compared with some of the forums out there. The moderators and contributors here are all doing a hell of a job. I cannot wait to get off the golf course to come here and see what's going down.

I know, I know...I bust balls way too much. Hey...at my age, that is one of the joys of life.
  • Baden
    You should put the shoutbox back on the front page, for instance. Pond syndrome will keep you from listening to what I'm trying to tell you though. Oh well.frank

We had a whole thread on that, and a poll too as far as I remember, and listened to both sides with the way we have it now coming out on top.
  • Baden

Cheers. :up:
  • frank
    We had a whole thread on that, and a poll too as far as I remember, and listened to both sides with the way we have it now coming out on top.Baden

OK. Meanwhile I need to pm 16 people on reddit to remind them to get ready for the reading of GoM I initiated there. Can you imagine that sort of thing happening here?
  • Baden

What's your point? Reddit users have short attention spans and bad memories? Relevance to Shoutbox suggestion?
  • Baden
    I just typed in 'philosophy' in the search bar in Reddit btw and about half the conversations were about something called a 'Philosophy purity cleanser'. So, that's Reddit. That's not us.
  • SophistiCat
    many old-timers tell me the hay-day of online forums was i the mid/late 90’sI like sushi

As an old-timer, I concur.
  • Baden
    there are 13+ million members on reddit philosophyI like sushi

We are currently doubling our membership year by year so at our current rate of growth, by 2050, we will have surpassed Reddit and by 2100, we should have more members than there are atoms in the universe.
  • frank
    What's your point? Reddit users have short attention spans and bad memories? Relevance to Shoutbox suggestion?Baden

Just that you're never going to be on the scale of reddit. Scale is not your strength. What you have is a particular set of people. At least operate with some consciousness of what your strength is.

If you want more people, I could tell you how to make your presence known to moderators on reddit who would be more than happy to channel interest your way.
  • Baden

I get the point. I was being facetious there.
  • frank
    Oh. I have to PM them because people are like sheep. If you don't round them up, they'll just stray all over the countryside forgetting that they said they were "down" with the reading.
  • matt

lmao so that's how trending works.
  • Michael
    I mean things like attracting guest speakers or getting more articles up or whatever.Baden

You mean the lone article from 2015 isn't enough?
  • S
    That's one more than the number of formal debates that have taken place, at least.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.