• Mayor of Simpleton
    This was the first thing that popped into my head...

Not sure if this is what you had in mind...

Meow!

GREG
  • Michael
    You sure love your videos. ;)
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    Hey...

... when you can't read books, you have to go with what works.

Meow!

GREG
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    Finally found the description of 'Woo':

If you think the Solar System might be, like, an atom of a higher dimension, or you're worried about chemtrails, or you've proved quantum mechanics wrong but nobody will listen, post it here. It may get deleted anyway, but it's worth a try.

Not exactly what I thought it might me...

... oh well, I guess I'm not into all the hip and cool slang these kids of today are spouting off.

So... time for a video (dedicated to YHDRS):

Meow!

GREG
  • Human
    Is "Woo" really a category now?

What do I understand by "woo"? It can mean "to court". More recently it has been used to mean something like "superstition" or "the supernatural".
  • Moliere
    I tend to think of woo as a commercial enterprise.

So, if Grandma is telling me that the horoscope really works, then I don't count that. But if you're trying to sell my crystals for my cancer which Big Pharma has been covering up because of how cheap it is, then that would.
  • Jamal
    Is "Woo" really a category now?Human

Not any more. It was a moment of madness.
  • Human
    Your Grandma's horoscope is commercial, she buys the newspaper to read it. "Woo" is sometimes used to refer to the commercial exploitation of superstition, but it's certainly not exclusively used for that purpose. So your attempted definition is inadequate. But somebody "liked" it. I wonder what they meant by that? Sir2U thinks we should use "likes" to say "I learned something from that". But in this case if the liker learned anything, what they learned was (in my opinion of course) mistaken.
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    Not any more. It was a moment of madness.jamalrob

What a shame...

... I thought is was a special place I was to inhabit since we don't have 'internal replies'. :-*

Meow!

GREG
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    My 'cherry picked non sequitur'...

So, if Grandma is telling me that the horoscope really works, then I don't count that.Moliere

Tell Grandma that it would be far better if she was a racist.

Meow!

GREG
  • Jamal
    Notice that normal replies work rather like PF's internal replies, in that they're fast and don't require a page load. The challenge might be to resist the temptation to fire off short replies most of the time.
  • Mayor of Simpleton

It is really quick and I do like that, but I sort of miss my ability to do 'inside jokes' with friends...

... like my DENNY CRANE or my 'rimshot' with 180 Proof and such.

That way I could direct a comment to keep things light without actually putting the discourse off it's tracks... actually allowing it to run off the tracks on it's own.

Probably my taste in how to spice up philosophy with a bit of well needed levity...

... but at times, there are situations where (as Louis Black states regarding politicians) you simply are there to very carefully and gently pull the poles out of people's asses... sniff it out of respect... then oh so carefully and gently put it back in and tell them indeed their shit does not stink. :-O

What better place to do this than the sanitary and isolated quarantine of the internal reply? :D

The problem is that this replay button results in something that looks exactly like a proper post; thus lighting a fire under someone's ass might be well confused with being flamming.

btw... we might wish to place this one in the 'Feedback' section, as it completely lacks everything as philosophy, general or otherwise.

Meow!

GREG
  • Michael
    btw... we might wish to place this one in the 'Feedback' section, as it completely lacks everything as philosophy, general or otherwise. — mayor of simpleton

Done.
  • S
    "Woo" is the sound that people make when watching fireworks. Although I'm an exception. I scream "Wachachachachaaaah!!!!!"
  • Pneumenon
    "Woo" can mean pseudoscientific nonsense. It can also mean science that offends people; I can see a creationist referring to evolution as "woo," or a somewhat-too-ardent egalitarian getting defensive and saying the same thing about the genetics of intelligence.

edit: I know this thread was just for posting videos but there was some discussion about what "woo" means as a slang word.
  • Wosret
    I think that Jamalrod actually created a "woo" category for a brief moment in time.
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    edit: I know this thread was just for posting videos but there was some discussion about what "woo" means as a slang word.Pneumenon

Actually, it's not for only posting videos.
    I just tend to do that a lot.

I saw a category called 'woo'. I'm maybe a cat, but not such a 'hip cat' with all the new urban slang.

(I just said 'hip cat'... which probably is evidence of me being a bit behind in my urban slang. :D )

Meow!

GREG

I'm over 50 now so I sort of 'let go of the flow':

... see I had to post a video. I can't seem to help myself.
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    JamalrodWosret

Seriously!

Jamalrod?

Is that something you purchase in the shop behind these nice gentlemen in the video? :-O

Meow!

GREG
  • Moliere
    "Hip cat" is actually hip slang again, Mayor. So you were just ahead of your time. ;)
  • Mayor of Simpleton
    Sort of like my cool Converse All-Stars that I've been wearing for over 30 years and my 25 year old Green Lantern, Superman, Flash, Hulk and Batman t-shirts.

I'm so damned behind the times I'm ahead of them again. 8-)

... but I did stop wearing my 30 year old Ray Bans. I can bear to look at myself wearing such a thing anymore with all the damned hippster wannabes. :B

Oh well...

... atleast no one has this yet:

Meow! (a mayor original!) ;)

GREG
  • jorndoe
    Here's RationalWiki's article:

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Woo

Woo is a term used among skeptical writers to describe pseudoscientific explanations that have certain common characteristics.

The term comes from woo-woo, an epithet used in the 1990s by science and skeptical writers to ridicule people who believe or promote such things. This is in turn believed to have come from the onomatopoeia "woooooo!" as a reaction to dimmed lights or magic tricks. The term implies a lack of either intelligence or sincerity on the part of the person or concepts so described.

As a coincidence, the Chinese word "Wū" (巫) means a shaman, usually with magic powers.
    — RationalWiki
  • _db
    I consider woo to be anything that attempts to explain a phenomenon without the use of rigorous rationality.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.