• Banno
    Looks like a word game to me.
  • Mr Bee
    I've no idea what it might mean.Banno

The same subject who had Napoleon's experiences now has Banno's experiences. I honestly have no idea what's not to get about that.
  • Banno
    I honestly have no idea what's not to get about that.Mr Bee

Then we have nothing to discuss.

Or perhaps you might explain what a subject is?
  • Mr Bee
    Or perhaps you might explain what a subject is?Banno

The entity that is having the experience. As for what that entity is exactly, that is something I cannot answer, as that is linked to the problems of understanding consciousness. But that doesn't stop us from understanding the former so I really don't see what you're on about.
  • Banno
    To the best of my knowledge, I did not have napoleon's experiences.

If you think I did, you have some explaining to do.
  • Mr Bee

I don't, but I thought our conversation was about defining reincarnation.
  • Banno
    Our conversation? There's not a lot of clarity here.
  • Mr Bee

What about our conversation? Are you doubting whether or not we are having a discussion right now?

There's not a lot of clarity here.Banno

You're right, there isn't. I've no idea what you're trying to say and it seems like you're deliberately being obtuse.
  • Sam26
    Part of the problem is where you think the self is located. Obviously if you belief that the self is only connected with the body, then any idea of having past lives would be rejected, However, if the self can exist apart from the body, i.e., that consciousness survives the body, then there is a way to explain how someone could have existed as Washington and Lincoln. For example, you could think of it as simply occupying one body, dying, then entering into another body. Continuity of memories and experiences are only maintained in the primary self. Again the dream analogy works best, although not perfect, in that you are still you in a dream state, but you're not fully connected with all of your memories or experiences until you wake up. We may experience something similar when we die, that is, all our memories return, including who we were in past lives, thereby keeping the continuity of the self.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.