• Nicholasm5581
    An Atheist's Reincarnation

Who am “I”? Throughout life I am taught that “I” am my thoughts, opinions, impulses, and unique physical embodiment. The question is though, are those what define who “I” am?

Am “I” my thoughts? If you take away my thoughts, am “I” still “me”? If you take away my ability to think, am “I” still “me”?

Am “I” this physical embodiment that I currently experience? If you take away my sensory organs, am “I” still “me”? If I cannot experience, am I still “me”?

Am “I” my impulses? If I lose that which controls my impulses, am “I” still “me”?

If you take away all these things, yet I am still known by my name, am “I” still “me”?

What am “I”? Which fundamental quality about “me”, here and now, cannot be taken away without “I” no longer existing?

Am “I” my thoughts, opinions, impulses, and unique physical embodiment, or am “I” still “me” without any distinguishable qualities? Am “I” still “me” without the sensations I am familiar with?

If you alter my DNA, am “I” still “me”? Do I cease to exist? Am I no longer “me” but someone else?

Which specific quality of “me” is “mine” and nobody else’s?

If I start listening to another style of music, am I no longer me?

If my taste in food changes, am I no longer me? Am I somebody else?

Is there something permanent about “me” that tethers “me” to myself?

I am always changing, biologically, mentally, and physically. At which specific point in time was I “me”?

Was I “me” in the past and now I am someone else, or am I “me” now and someone else in the past?

If you take away all these things, am I still not “me”? Do “I” not still “exist” in some “form”?

Is there a specific “form” I must be in for “me” to exist?

If you take all the things that define “me” and look past them to discover their fundamental parts, what am “I”?

Am “I” not a collection of matter and energy?

If you take everything in this universe and look past its surface, every person, rock, and molecule, is it not just matter and energy?

Once you have looked past the surface of what your eyes tell you, can you distinguish where I end, and you begin?

Are “you” and “I” just a sensory illusion? Are “you” and “I” just a part of the whole?

Are “you” and “I” not an extension of existence indefinitely becoming? Experiencing itself from different points in space and time? As the bird? The fly? The bear? The wolf? The yet to “be” and the what is no more?

Were we ever born? Do we ever die? Was there ever a beginning or an end, except to form?

Perhaps we do not have individual souls but are in fact a part of one soul. One being. One happening. One body. Physically. Biologically.

Karma Redefined

Once “we” realize we are just an extension of “the one” (the total existence, the one “being”, the one “happening”) we see the importance of karma and its effects on “us” in this incarnation and future ones.

The actions we take here and now will influence the environment for the future, for better or worse. A future that we may play a part in and experience the effects of. A life more hellish or more heavenly, dependent on our collective decisions. Perhaps heaven and hell are not places defined by a god but rather words to define the quality of the state of our current existence.

A future where we will not know our past selves or retain any memories of past incarnations, as the faculties that retain memories decay and we do not have individual souls, but will experience the results of our past nonetheless as the collective of all previous happenings.

Karma is collectively shared by all of “us”, as “we” are all part of the “one happening”. The pleasant and unpleasant actions of those in the past bleeding into the future that we all share.
  • god must be atheist
    You ask nice, pertinent, valid, unanswerable questions.

My advice is wait until you die, and then PAY REAL CLOSE ATTENTION TO WHAT HAPPENS NEXT.
  • BrianW

I think it depends on your understanding of reincarnation and karma, and then whether you accept it as real and as having value in the logical sense. Personally, I do.
  • PoeticUniverse
    You never remain as 'you', even for an instant, nor does any other state ever remain the same, for all is in continuous transition, never remaining in any particular state. The one real thing is that which underlies these temporary happenings/events, and it, strangely to us, perhaps, ever remains the same, as the only permanent thing.
  • Razorback kitten
    Atheist, at your service. Reincarnation is a fantasy. And karma is an obvious no no.

I don't need to explain my reasoning because what PoeticUniverse∆ said covers it. The rest is common sense.
  • RegularGuy
    Karma is simply “for each action there is an equal and opposite reaction.” This is true in the physical world and in society.

Reincarnation may just be a figurative confusion of the “circle of life” as personified in the Disney movie. Reincarnation as a literal occurrence seems highly unlikely to me.
  • MrCrowley
    I want an Atheist's opinion on the Easter Bunny while we're at it.
  • alcontali
    Who am “I”?Nicholasm5581

Carefully look at a person when he is still alive. You can even talk to him, discuss with him, or go for a walk with him. Later on, when the time comes, go to his funeral and carefully look at him again. Look at his dead body. There is a difference. You can clearly see it. Something is gone.

That "something" was "him".

So, where is "him" now? Huh?
  • TheMadFool
    What makes me?

Hard to say.

Can't be the physical body because we have twins, triplets, etc.

Can't be the thoughts because more than one person is Christian

Perhaps a combination of the two makes for a unique person? Not really because both twins can be Buddhists.

Is this the right way to answer your question?

No! Because you don't have to be unique to be you. As a discriminating schema we may require you to be different in some respect for identification but you are still you aren't you even if you are exactly like someone else.

The assumption/conclusion (strange!) is that there's something, call it x, that acts like nail in the wall on which you hang your stuff (thoughts, bodies). It is the x that possess these thoughts and body.

Even if not explicitly stated we live our lives as if that's true. What could it be? An arrangement of atoms, a certain configuration of energy? No one knows and all we can do is speculate on it.

Could it be that it's just a question of convenience? It's convenient to assume that there's a soul.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment