• WISDOMfromPO-MO
    Please do not say "atheists", "secularists", "mainline Protestants" or any other group that is not a specific ethnic group, a specific nation-state, or a specific nation that does not have statehood.

Appropriate responses would be like these: the Navajo, Sweden, or Kurds.

Who are some of the most peaceful groups in the contemporary world?
  • BC
    Do you mean, "least warlike" peaceful, or "inner peace" peaceful? Or "most contented" peaceful? Namibia and Mongolia have the highest rate of nations for sedative abuse, so maybe they are the most peaceful.

Canada, Denmark, Portugal, Finland, Iceland, New Zealand, Japan, Austria, Slovenia, Czech were the 10 most peaceful, according to the Institute for Economics and Peace, for whatever that's worth. On their list the USA ranked 103 out of 163 -- not very peaceful.
  • Wayfarer
    What about Bhutan? Surely a nation with a Gross National Happiness index would have to rate somewhere.

Here in Australia, all the pedestrian bridges over freeways are enclosed in wire barriers, to stop adolescents from throwing bricks at passing vehicles. Which, I bet, is something that would rarely happen in, say, Japan. I tend to think anglo-saxons, generally, have a pretty high level of ambient violence. (And hey, I'm one, so I'm not casting aspersions.)

As for America - sad case. The land of the free and home of the brave doesn't seem to be living up to its image.
  • T Clark
    Who are some of the most peaceful groups in the contemporary world?WISDOMfromPO-MO

Sweden? Doesn't get involved in wars or police actions. Not in NATO. Spends money on it's people's welfare, not the military. I do think it is easier for nations with homogeneous populations to be more stable and secure.

I think Wayfarer's suggestion of Bhutan is a good one.

Switzerland?

Monaco, San Marino, Andorra, Malta, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg? Too small and/or rich to raise much of a ruckus.
  • T Clark
    As for America - sad case. The land of the free and home of the brave doesn't seem to be living up to its image.Wayfarer

Land of the free and home of the brave - that's a pretty pugnacious motto. I think we're living up to it quite well.
  • jkop
    Sweden? Doesn't get involved in wars. . . .T Clark

:-} Sweden is one of the largest arms manufacturers and exporters in the world per capita. We also like to condemn the military acts of others and market ourselves as morally superior experts on peace and stability.
  • WISDOMfromPO-MO
    Peaceful = not willingly/voluntarily condoning, starting, celebrating, glorifying or supporting; nor willingly/voluntarily, knowingly indirectly contributing to or directly engaging in violent conflict or the use of the threat of violence.
  • WISDOMfromPO-MO
    What about Bhutan?...Wayfarer

I am not familiar with them.

What makes them peaceful?
  • BC
    The dead.
  • Anonymys
    That's my favorite ethnic group
bold
italic
underline
strike