• praxis
    Who: They are the modern aristocracy.Vera Mont

I think their best trick is brainwashing you into believing that people like Jeff Bezos are nobility. They have money and the power and influence that comes with money, that is all.

subliminal messagesVera Mont

Tinfoil hats effectively block these messages, as I’m sure you’re aware.
  • Mikie
    Did I mention reaction videos?

Here’s another two from Twitter:

- People using the form “x: bla blah blah ; y: hold my beer”

- people ending their posts with “That’s it. That’s the post.”

Ughh…it’s so stupid and conformist it makes me hostile. Who does this stuff?

I need to stop even skimming Twitter anymore.
  • L'éléphant
    Referring to pure fiction, like Orwellian Newspeak, as though it were something real.praxis
    Yes, and other similar pieces.

Another annoyance -- referring to "War and Peace" whenever one means "lengthy" without ever having read the book. It's fucking 1,400 pages, written by Tolstoy!

"Oh, he wrote me a war and peace email just to explain the procedure".

Don't do this or I might as well quiz you on the novel.

(I did not read the book)
  • Vera Mont
    I did not read the bookL'éléphant

It was actually pretty good. Not that much longer than LOTR, and it made a lot more sense then Finnegan's Wake.
    People who quote their favourite dead philosopher as if he had the final truth of everything.
  • L'éléphant
    People who quote their favourite dead philosopher as if he had the final truth of everything.Vera Mont
    Maybe they do.
  • Vera Mont
    Maybe they do.L'éléphant

All of them?
  • L'éléphant
    All of them?Vera Mont
    No! Are you serious? Nietzsche was wrong.
  • Vera Mont
    Nietzsche was wrong.L'éléphant
    Oh. In that case, I should only be annoyed at people who quote him. I'll try...
  • Mikie
    Added one: people who write “you see.” Ugh.
  • Benkei
    Also, this is a living document.

Attention spans are down to 5 seconds.

Being interrupted or talked over.

No one reads anything greater than 3 or 4 sentences.
    Mikie

I stopped reading.
  • Benkei
    Intense annoyance:

populist politics
    people taken in by populists

And this reminded me of two more:

Soundtracks so loud you can't hear the dialogue.Vera Mont

Movies so dark, you can't see anything but it's "gritty".

Righteous deservers People that think that their rights go over and above the rest of humanities. Just stop oil, over zealous trans people, car parking space hoggers, queue jumpers, anyone that thinks they they deserve more just because they are who they are.Sir2u

Rich people
  • unenlightened
    Lists.
    Other people's petty gripes.
    Other people.
    Everything.
  • Vera Mont
    Continued harping on WWII, as if had been the only notable event in human history.
  • Sir2u
    Continued harping on WWII, as if had been the only notable event in human history.Vera Mont

From someone that has done more of that than anyone else on the thread about WW2. :rofl:
  • Vera Mont

I don't know about quantity, though I seriously doubt "more than anyone else", but if anyone were bored and silly enough to go back over all the relevant threads to check, they would discover that all of my posts were in response to someone else's statement. I never once initiated a discussion regarding events or persons involved in that conflict.
  • Sir2u
    I never once initiated a discussion regarding events or persons involved in that conflict.Vera Mont

Yes, good bye.
  • AmadeusD
    This explains so much about your comportment.
  • Vera Mont
    Garbage bags that refuse to open.
  • jorndoe
    theiyr're
    they're their there

that must of been quite something

I'm better then you

youre
    you're your

whe're
    we're were where
  • Vera Mont
    "It was a shock to John and I."
    "potato's $1.95"
    "Get off of my lawn."
    "Oranges are different to apples."
    "Try and learn grammar."
  • Benkei
    Wet thumb and index finger and rub them together with the garbage bag opening between them. It will open in a jiffy.
  • Vera Mont

Yes! I tested it first on those filmy little vegetable bags in the grocery store, then yesterday on the recycle and garbage bags. Works on all three types of plastic. You have my life-long gratitude.
  • Sir2u
    lm_robotcar_comp-copy.jpg?w=1280&quality=44

Images like this, with a human like robot doing something as if it is a human. You see images of them sitting in front of a bank of monitors and flying planes.

The funny thing is that it is never going to happen because it will always be cheaper to incorporate the AI into the system instead of building a separate entity. Why would a robot sit and look at monitors when all of the information could be processed inside a small box? A robot pilot would still have the problem of time lapse because of observation/movement delay, whereas the incorporated AI would not have anywhere near as much.

Is it just because the want people to accept the fact that there might be robots around soon or is it just that they think people are stupid?
  • Vera Mont
    Is it just because the want people to accept the fact that there might be robots around soon or is it just that they think people are stupid?Sir2u

Yes and yes. Probably right on both counts.
    Besides, it's a helluva lot easier to make an ad campaign featuring friendly androids and cute household machines than to educate the public about what kinds of automation to expect and how it works.
  • L'éléphant
    Why would a robot sit and look at monitors when all of the information could be processed inside a small box? A robot pilot would still have the problem of time lapse because of observation/movement delay, whereas the incorporated AI would not have anywhere near as much.

Is it just because the want people to accept the fact that there might be robots around soon or is it just that they think people are stupid?
    Sir2u

On point observation!

It's marketing, I guess. AI technology is very active in the stock market. The connection of representation to the humans, probably, is what made them depict AI like the picture. Driverless vehicles, press-button services, and click-buttons e-services are around already and doing well.

Who knows maybe they're to appeal to the children.
  • Sir2u
    I found the other one I was looking for.
    http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.taboola.com%2Flibtrc%2Fstatic%2Fthumbnails%2Fda35940346a9b80ebf1b3b7d26141dce.jpeg
  • L'éléphant
    That's even worse.

An AI does not have a capacity to do deliberative thinking, but it exercises algorithm.
  • Tom Storm
    Is it just because the want people to accept the fact that there might be robots around soon or is it just that they think people are stupid?Sir2u

I think it may also be down to most people not being all that interested in this issue and not having any theorized frameworks with which to understand it. But also, the image of a robot doing human things is a kind of short-hand - an easily recognized symbol. Not necessarily meant to be taken literally.
  • Vera Mont
    What's the point of a robot made in human form? It's inefficient, not designed for any specific purpose, just takes up a lot of space with unnecessary limbs. It doesn't eve try to pass as a real human, so the purpose can't be to fool anyone.
    It's an icon. A symbolic link between a big metal box on wheels and Robin Williams.
    It's a familiar idea.
  • tim wood
    Maybe the trouble is expecting grammar to be logical in the first place, when mostly what matters is what’s conventional, i.e., standard.Jamal
    I gotta go with Vera Mont, here. There are standards, and they're corrupted, usually by ignorant people, the arrogance of ignorance then claiming correctness in virtue of mere usage. In a sense it all comes down to being either well-mannered or ill-mannered, educated or ignorant, the ill-mannered having forgot, or contemptuous of through a failure of understanding, the benefits of manners. And society becomes more piggish and brutal - seemingly without limit. Can we say MTG, or DJT, these just two horrible examples of many.

A peeve of mine is people who pronounce forte, meaning (a) strength, as fortay, when it should be fort, being an old French word for a strong point. Pronounced as fortay, it is an Italian musical term meaning loud.

Or Canadian geese as the plural for Canada goose. Or ax for ask. All of these signs at least of greater or lesser ignorance, which misused at the wrong place and time can exclude the speaker from membership he or she may very much want and value, and be otherwise entitled to - as, for example, a job. .
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.