• Pattern-chaser
    A few days ago, it was there. Now it's disappeared, and the link to the Firefox extension no longer works. The file isn't there any more.

Any suggestions, anyone?
  • deletedusercb
    Ignore list? I asked about this in another thread, I couldn't find the function, either the one for threads or for members
  • Pattern-chaser
    This was the link: https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/5738/ignore-list-browser-extension - but the Firefox extension isn't there any more to be downloaded. I assume the Chrome one has gone too?

I think this forum could do with an official way to block or ignore other posters. That way, we can just ignore them, instead of getting into arguments with them. Much more constructive. :up:
  • DingoJones

Whats stopping you from just ignoring them on your own?
  • deletedusercb
    One can do this, but it is easier to get drawn in. While a spam filter on my email is dealing with a great deal more things I want weeded out, the principle is the same. I find it really streamlines my participation. Sometimes I do not notice the person I am reading, and once read, it can be harder, for me, to hold off responding. I also have a notice up that on my mail slot that keeps me from getting junk mail. I have a phone service function that keeps me from getting phone sales calls. I only invite some people to social events and avoid some social events with certain people there. I can walk by them. Cover my ears and make a ya, ya sound to avoid hearing imbecilic remarks or whatever it is I want to avoid, but in general I do take steps in many areas of my life to restrict my contact with others. In all of these I could 'do it myself', but then I like the convenience. I think it also can potentially frustrate trolls, if the function is available, since less people get trolled. And then neo-trolls, wehre they are sincere but have terrible posting habits, may find themselves not getting responded to as much. But mainly, it just works for me. I like the function.
  • Pattern-chaser
    Whats stopping you from just ignoring them on your own?DingoJones

A lack of will-power ... and being autistic. I find it difficult to ignore stuff that ... annoys me. :blush:

Others may have their own reasons why they'd like an ignore list: :wink:

But mainly, it just works for me. I like the function.Coben
  • deletedusercb
    yes, it doesn't seem to work/be there.
  • Shamshir
    A lack of will-powerPattern-chaser
    This is the opportunity to work on that.
  • Pattern-chaser
    A lack of will-power — Pattern-chaser

This is the opportunity to work on that.
    Shamshir

:worry:

...being autistic. I find it difficult to ignore stuff that ... annoys mePattern-chaser

I'm not wired as you are. Something that seems easy for you to do ... can be much less easy for me. A little understanding would be nice? :confused:
  • Isaac
    Ignore list? I asked about this in another thread, I couldn't find the function, either the one for threads or for membersCoben

I sympathise with your objectives, but spam emailers are rarely sincere, blocked numbers are told they've been blocked, people who you've avoided at social events don't carry on talking to you as if you were there.

I think there's something uniquely rude about ignoring someone who may well be sincerely trying to communicate with you, with perfectly good intentions, when they don't even know you don't want such efforts.
  • Shamshir
    I'm not wired as you are. Something that seems easy for you to do ... can be much less easy for me. A little understanding would be nice? :confused:Pattern-chaser
    That's why I said, this is an opportunity to work on that.

If you pity yourself, it won't get easier.
    If you practice, it might.
  • Pattern-chaser
    Please don't be so certain of something you clearly have no idea about. If you have one leg, you can't run, no matter how much you practice. :up:
  • Artemis
    If you have one leg, you can't run, no matter how much you practice. :up:Pattern-chaser

The makers of blade runner prosthetics beg to differ.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2f/Oscar_Pistorius_2_Daegu_2011.jpg
  • Pattern-chaser
    I've tried as hard as I can to conduct myself in this conversation as I am expected to. But it's gone far enough now. I would be most grateful if the two of you would shut the fuck up. Thank you.
  • deletedusercb
    I am sure I am blocking sincere people with real products. They're just marketing. I use the highest settings. Sometimes things get blocked that should get through, but I can live with that. Heck, I have a dumb phone. I'm a 20th century guy.
    people who you've avoided at social events don't carry on talking to you as if you were there.Isaac
    I don't know where you're from but on my planet some sure do, and especially at smaller gatherings it can be impossible to avoid hearing them or choosing between being rude or interacting.
    blocked numbers are told they've been blockedIsaac
    On other forums I tell them I am putting them on ignore. This is both fair, since they know not to expect responses -they can certainly criticise my posts for the gallery, of course - and pleasant to say.
    I think there's something uniquely rude about ignoring someone who may well be sincerely trying to communicate with you, with perfectly good intentions, when they don't even know you don't want such efforts.Isaac
    Well, they know. Since I tell them. And it is my judgment, generally, that there is something insincere or regularly rude in those I ignore. I wouldn't expect people to 'put up with' me, if their experience is that they think I am rude or regularly engaging in fallacies or trolling or neo-trolling. We are all selective in a variety of ways about how we are and are not in contact. I am not suggesting anyone else should do what I like to do, but there is nothing wrong with it. Since the ignore function is lacking here I do it as well as I can. But it is so much easier with one in place. And as an effect on the community as a whole I think it reduces pissing contests.
  • deletedusercb
    That's why I said, this is an opportunity to work on that.

If you pity yourself, it won't get easier.
    If you practice, it might.
    Shamshir
    I'm wondering why you feel like you should be in an improvement coach role with someone you don't know, and how you know better than they do about how they should deal with their uniqueness.

It might not be the option he came here to opt for.

And his asking for understanding does not mean he pities himself. His knowledge of his tendencies obviously is vastly better than your knowledge of them. We each choose to focus on what we want to work on, ourselves. There are likely things you could be learning right now to grow around that do not involve judging other people's choices, people you don't know.
  • S
    Any suggestions, anyone?Pattern-chaser

Yes. You could grow up.
  • deletedusercb
    There's someone who is a good role model for adult behavior with a suggestion above. Unfortunately scrolling down this thread led to his very short insulting message immediately just getting shot in my brain. The moral coaches here want us to learn how to deal. Well, the only way I can deal with seeing someone be, as usual the scared acting out bully he is, nasty to a third party, is to at least make fun of him for you. And that's me showing restraint.
  • S
    There's someone who is a good role model for adult behavior with a suggestion above.Coben

Self-reliance and facing strong criticism are characteristic of adult behaviour. Feeling a need to rely on an ignore feature, blocking out strong criticism, and making excuses, is weak, childish and counterproductive. I never suggested that I'm a role model in all things adult. But I'm still right about that.
  • deletedusercb
    Self-reliance and facing strong criticism are characteristic of adult behaviour.S
    But you don't face down strong criticism, you just bark a lot. Facing down strong criticism, involves interacting with the ideas you encounter, not dismissing them, often without argument, and insulting the other person. That behavior is the sign of presenting anger rather than being honest about your fears and inadequacies in actually demonstrating the problems in the other person's position. Also you are assuming that the criticism we want to avoid is strong. It's generally not. It's posters who are here to attack, that's their joi du vivre. There are also people who are not nasty, but who just don't make sense. A gnostic agnostic...I'd like to put him on ignore. It makes scrolling down threads more efficient. I won't come back in a few weeks having forgotten he regularly doesn't make sense and work my way into one of his quagmire posts.
    Feeling a need to rely on an ignore feature and blocking out strong criticism is weak, childish and counterproductive.S
    If you don't want to be selective in your social life and other activities and you sit with people who bore you or criticize you weakly or on false grounds, and enjoy nobly taking on all comers like the adult you are. Go for it. For me, life is short. I'd rather be picky. I also don't read Harelequin romances. I don't watch shitty movies. I don't go back and read authors who were terrible, in case they suddenly gain skills. I edit all the time.

If I was like you and the only thing that interested me was expressing outrage at people and insulting them, then reading people I don't respect would be much more exciting.
  • S
    You don't care about arguments, you pick on wording and tone, even though you're guilty of doing the same thing, as you illustrate above. I can't say that something is talking dumb, but you can say that something is barking, or kissing ass, as you said elsewhere. That's a double standard if ever I saw one.

Funnily enough, you also said, and I quote: "I will not present ideas that differ from yours to you. I will not differ with your posts. I won't even read them. And I'll hold to that this time, even if you seem to have a brave period". :lol:
  • Isaac
    I wouldn't expect people to 'put up with' me, if their experience is that they think I am rude or regularly engaging in fallacies or trolling or neo-trolling.Coben

... And there, slipped in among the reasonable sounding rhetoric lies the real nub of the matter. Those who engage in 'fallacies'. Shorthand for those who you don't already agree with or are favourably disposed to. Having already been on the receiving end of a declaration that you will ignore me (for presenting an argument I considered to be both sincere and reasonable), I'm reluctant to give you the benefit of the doubt that you mean anything better by it.

What transpires is that we all end up in our own sterile echo chambers where no one ever need show any passion for their arguments because they all know absolutely nothing is really at stake, everyone already agrees with them.
  • praxis

Embrace your discomfort and learn to live with it.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.