• TiredThinker
    I had my appendix removed about 15 years ago and since then haven't approached food the same. Fatty foods really disgusted me afterwards, and anything savory really lost its appeal. Anyone else experience that?
  • Jamal
    My favourite temperature for an appendectomy is 21 Celsius, dry air.
  • jgill
    Anyone else experience that?TiredThinker

Mine was removed in 1949. No aftereffects I know of.
  • TiredThinker
    Hmm. I heard of one other person that had long term changes in tastes.
  • Sir2u
    I had my gall bladder removed about 20 years ago, Things tasted the same afterwards but the desire to eat certain things was gone. No idea why and it took me a couple of years to note the change.
  • Nils Loc

How do you know you're being objectively correct in attributing the change in taste to your appendectomy?

It's not a matter of negative symptoms from eating fatty foods but purely down to taste?

Edit: They say there is a connection between taste and your microbiome and so it stands to reason if you were given a broad spectrum antibiotic for your surgery, maybe your change in taste is a result of a change in your GI flora. But that was 15 years ago, so what has sustained your opinion that you dislike fatty foods?
  • TiredThinker

I think my digestive system physically can't comfortably handle fatty meats like it could before. The taste in my mouth is the same, but causes a nausea instead of affinity towards those flavors.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.