• Benj96
    " The madness of love is heavens greatest blessing" - Plato

"And if love be madness, may I never find sanity again" - John Mark green.

"There is always some madness in love, but there is also some reason in madness" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Love is merely a madness" - William Shakespeare.

Thoughts on the relationship of love to madness/insanity?

Why in your opinion do these all quote a similar sentiment regarding love affliction. What is mad about it?
  • 0 thru 9
    It is perhaps a useful exaggeration for a poet to say that love is insane madness. The Sufis said that they were moths burned completely in the fire of their Beloved.

We can label almost anything that is not mathematically proven, as either “merely physical” or (in the case of love, feelings, inspiration, belief… even art) as being hopelessly “irrational”. As in “you’re being irrational!” It is extremely difficult to find a satisfactory response to that stance. It is a brick wall in the middle of the road. Brick walls and outdated habits are difficult to dismantle.

The “irrational” and emotional will come out… one way or another. This includes love and anything else that deeply affects our deepest levels.

A culture that doesn’t allow the expression of the soul will find itself in a swamp of psychosis.

In other words… to forbid the confusing madness of love is to open the gates to literal and explosive insanity.
  • Beena
    I take it it's romantic love being talked about here. I think the similarity is because the chemistry between the two is there. Chem means chemicals/atoms that are attracted due to let's say minds meeting regarding some common ground. This is why mentalities changing means - attracted to someone else now. What is mad about it is the mad way chemicals have an affinity for each other in the two people. Atoms and molecules cannot be held. They go dancing and people in love are madly in love.
  • 180 Proof
    Marriage [Love] is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage [love again] is the triumph of hope over experience. — Oscar Wilde
    Love is divine only and difficult always. If you think it is easy you are a fool. If you think it is natural you are blind. — Toni Morrison
    If you have reasons to love someone, you don’t love them.

Love feels like a great misfortune, a monstrous parasite, a permanent state of emergency that ruins all small pleasures.
    — Slavoj Žižek
  • unenlightened
    To the modern, self-centred mind, the logic of rationality measures everything in relation to self interest, as expressed mathematically in game theory. It follows immediately from the definition of love as being other-interest, that it is considered irrational.

And yet it functions perfectly well in the world, where parents sacrifice their own interest for their children's, because the world does not believe in the absolute separation that characterises linguistic thought.
  • Benj96
    In other words… to forbid the confusing madness of love is to open the gates to literal and explosive insanity.0 thru 9

I agree. Which is why I believe love is such a large topic of expression in art, literature, media and music. They are outlets for the frustrations, laments and irreconcilablilities (irrationality) of love.

The objects of love are flawed. As flaw is an inherent feature of human condition. Loving an imperfect thing, despite their repeated failings, as well as accepting love (despite your own repeated failings) appears irrational, but feels for lack of better words "so right".
  • Benj96
    bravo 180 Proof. I thoroughly enjoyed your contributions here. Very apt indeed!

Love it seems is all that is left when all rational arguments not to are acknowledged/considered, and subsequently ignored regardless. Haha!
  • Benj96
    I agree. Love is like some psychological gravity. The gravity between minds. Am attraction between beings which is objectively irrational, but intimately/subjectively rational: between the two involved with one another, the two that found innate chemistry and attraction between them.
  • javi2541997
    I don't understand why low-effort OPs like this one are on the main page, while others - with more substantial research - go to "The Lounge" or are deleted by the mods directly.
  • Jamal
    Which Lounge discussion do you think should not be in the Lounge?

This one is interesting, I think. It would have been nice if Benj had given his interpretation of the quotations, but on balance I thought it might produce an interesting discussion.
  • javi2541997
    I don't want to get involved in a discussion with you. I just wanted to say that I perceive that the effort and quality we all should put in the OPs is, somehow, relative.

Which Lounge discussion do you think should not be in the Lounge?Jamal

It is not up to me and my opinion will not be taken seriously by you...
  • Jamal
    Weird response.

Anyway, note that some people choose to put their discussions in the Lounge, so don’t assume that they’ve all been put there by staff.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.